1080 Ti cheaper than AIB 1080 ??

TweaknFreak

Honorable
Oct 23, 2015
Hi folks. Today I found out an interesting thing. Most aftermarket GTX 1080 Ti s are like USD 900+ ish right now in my country(ikr, stupid rules and custom duties). However the FE 1080 Ti is almost USD 815 right now, which is equal or less than some AIB 1080s(like Asus STRIX or Gigabyte AORUS). Since I'm looking for a build in this month, I'm torn apart right now whether to get a AIB 1080 or the FE 1080 Ti. Given the thermal throttling of FE cards and high ambient temperatures in my city(30 to 40 degrees Celcius), which one should I go for and why?

Really appreciate your time for reading this and replying. :)

Solution

No its not bad, its how nvidia designed it. It will be fine at that temp.

TweaknFreak

Honorable
Oct 23, 2015

Yeah but next gen cards are also peeking I guess. I am thinking of waiting till Gamescom, see if Nvidia CEO unleashes the new beasts :bounce:

TweaknFreak

Honorable
Oct 23, 2015
I just came across NZXT G12 GPU bracket for AIOs. Slapping this over a FE 1080 Ti should lower the temperatures and provide more thermal headroom(that is my assumption). But this will void the 3 year warranty that Nvidia is offering. So is it worth the effort? I don't have much idea about GPUs failing within the warranty period, but hey it's electronics, it can fail. Cost wise it'll be great as an aftermarket 1080 Ti costs above USD 700 in here and doing this saves me about USD 40 compared to the cheapest air cooled 1080 Ti.

TweaknFreak

Honorable
Oct 23, 2015

Given the high ambient temperatures in my country(40 degrees Celcius), won't a FE card bottleneck thermally and limit my performance? I've come across a lot of folks saying it hits 80 degrees Celcius on full load while AIB cards barely cross 70 degrees. Is is that bad?

TweaknFreak

Honorable
Oct 23, 2015

I game with my Sennheisers on so noise shouldn't be much of an issue to me.
Given the high ambient temperatures in my country(40 degrees Celcius), won't a FE card bottleneck thermally and limit my performance? I've come across a lot of folks saying it hits 80 degrees Celcius on full load while AIB cards barely cross 70 degrees. Is is that bad?

RobCrezz

Expert
Ambassador

No its not bad, its how nvidia designed it. It will be fine at that temp.

Solution