Pc with RX 480 crashes with variance in external power

Sep 18, 2018
Pc with AMD Radeon RX 480 (Intel Core i7-6700) crashes when there is any variance in the electricity - for example if I turn on the AC or even plug in/out any "live" appliance or even a light. However when I am using the on board video adapter (Intel HD Graphiccs 530) this does NOT happen. No overclocking. I have a no-brand psu 700 Watts and that was my initial suspect. So I replaced it with a corsair TX750M but it did not fix the problem.

When I say it crashes the screen goes black but the power stays on. Will I have to replace my GPU?

Sep 18, 2018
Thanks for the fast reply. I thought of that. The thing is the AC is a split unit on its own circuit. The breaker/circuit I use for the PC does not have a heavy load. Also it still leaves the question as to why it happens when I use the RX 480 and not when I hook up to the Intel 530. Just thought of something else - certain times of the day (late afternoon/early evening) it can crash even without any provocation in my apartment (live in an apartment building in Spain). So Im thinking that the power in the whole building is shaky. I will be moving in 10 days so i think I will just leave it until then to see if it happens in the other building. Until then - no multiplayer games...

Also it will crash even if there is no apparent load on the GPU - gaming etc - and it is running at less than 60C.

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!

Sure sounds like an electricity issue in your apartment, especially that you installed a Good new PSU with the same problem.

I would eliminate the power issue first, try the PC at someone elses house. If the issue persists then you have a hardware problem.

Sep 18, 2018
I tried "whocrashed" and it couldnt find any dump files. This confirms the theory that it is an external issue and not a system/driver issue. Thanks for the suggestion. I will use my internal card for now until I move to my new place and try it there. Will update beginning of October. Thanks to all for taking the time to give your input. Much appreciated!!