[SOLVED] 1080 TI SLI - Second card not being utilized?

rkhoey

Commendable
Sep 26, 2018
Hi guys,

After I installed a second 1080TI I was getting NO performance increase in bench marks and after checking with GPU-Z my second card is only getting 0-5% utilization and effectively not being used (fans not even coming on) while the other card is working at close to full 100% and fans come on etc.

Here is my system:

ASUS ROG Hero VII board
Ryzen 2700x CPU
32GB 2666 Ram
x2 GTX1080TI Aorus
Corsair 1200i PSU

Here is what I have done to troubleshoot:

Nvidia control: panel showing SLI mode is active
Nvidia control: Power management mode = high performance
Enabled high performance mode in power options through windows 10
SLI bridge is installed (ROG HB)
Correct power cables installed to GPU's
Latest motherboard BIOS firmware installed

After the above with no success I have used driver cleaner in safe mode and reinstalled latest drivers with "clean install" option checked.... no change.

Seems as if SLI is perfectly enabled but just not doing anything?

Any help appreciated. Thanks!

Solution

As stated previously you are...

Ramlethal

Estimable
as far as i know SLI is an Intel only tech... So, you are using an AMD cpu and mobo... You cant SLI.
You have to crossfire instead. Mod edit: Lets not use language like that here please. By buying AMD cards instead of nvidia ones)
I know some AMD mobos have implemented SLI, but im not sure if your socket is capable of.

Click the Manage 3D Settings link in the left menu of NVidia Control panel. Under Global Settings, scroll down until you find the “SLI performance mode” entry. Change the settings from “Single GPU” to “Alternate Frame Rendering 2”. This will turn on SLI mode for all of your programs.

rkhoey

Commendable
Sep 26, 2018

I dont think that is correct

Superposition doesnt come with sli enabled by default, you must implement a comunity made profile, use Fire Strike or time spy from 3DMark to bench.

@Ramlethal You wrote the biggest missinformation i ever encountered on any forum so far, this is related only and only to videocard manufacturer, you cannot crossfire an nvidia lol, also having ryzen doesnt mean you cannot sli, any x370-470 motherboard has sli possibility. If you are not informed enought dont post just for the sake of posting something.

Ramlethal

Estimable

You have worte the biggest missreading i have ever encounter so far. I said that he must do crossfire, but ofcourse you cannot crossfire nvidia cards. So you must trash yours and buy others >:)

As stated previously you are giving misinformation - https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/X370-SLI-PLUS.html

Crossfire or SLI capable motherboard.

Solution

rkhoey

Commendable
Sep 26, 2018
Looks like it was the benchmark. Installed 3d mark and works fine now. Super position doesnt work in sli. Enabling the slot 2 thing forcres sli on but doesnt scale correctly.

D

Deleted member 217926

SLI is Nvidia tech not Intel. It's up to the motherboard manufacturer and chipset of the motherboard as to SLI/Crossfire support.

Reactions: ragnarok0274
D

Deleted member 217926

I'd love to see a valid CPU-Z screenshot of your system because with your level of knowledge I'm doubting it's legit. Or at least I'm doubting you built it. ;)

rkhoey

Commendable
Sep 26, 2018

Thanks, this seemed to force SLI on through Unigene benchmark, but as a result the performance was very bad as its not a SLI compatible benchmark as I now know.

I downloaded 3d Mark bench mark, put the setting back to "automatic" and both cards were working fine.

rkhoey

Commendable
Sep 26, 2018

You can have a AMD cpu and then x2 Nvidia cards in SLI.

AMD cpu doesnt mean you must have AMD GPU... and Intel CPU doesnt only need SLI, you can mix and match

Even TC is correcting you lol

Yogi2367

Reputable
Mar 24, 2015
If Ramlethal has a "Graphics Card Authority" tag, I must be a friggin' genius (move over Sheldon Cooper) not to mention it must make the moderators here Gods ... LOL

Anyways, just to confirm for myself ... If you have monitors connected to each of your cards (assuming 2), SLI is then not an option, correct ???

Yes, in that moment you use soround option instead of sli, each card driving a monitor or all monitors conected to that particular card.
Linus had a test with lots of 4k monitors conected to quadro gpus.

Yogi2367

Reputable
Mar 24, 2015
So, by extension then, if I had a mobo with 4 PCIe x 3 slots, and 4 nVidia GPUs capable of SLI, driving 4 monitors, would I be able to connect 2 monitors to each of 2 GPUs, and SLI each of those with the remaining 2 GPUs (does how I worded that make sense?), and would it work? ... my apologies if I'm hijacking this thread.