£2000 New Build

Nov 14, 2018
Approximate Purchase Date: This Month

Budget Range: Up to £2000

System Usage: Gaming, Web Developer, Streaming, Music, Internet.

Are you buying a monitor: Not sure

Parts to Upgrade: All

Overclocking: No

SLI or Crossfire: No

Monitor Resolution:1920 x 1080

Additional Comments: Looking for a mini ITX build

Why Are You Upgrading: Had my current PC since 2014 and is starting to show its age, Battlefield 1 is always showing the slow graphics icon warning. COH2 has trouble keeping up with 4v4. Low FPS in newer games even with low settings.

Initial Ideas:

Will this PC last for 4/5 years and be able to play most games at 60fps?

Do any of the parts look like they will not fit inside the case together?

Any improvements for the build?

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 7 2700X 3.7 GHz 8-Core Processor (£287.99 @ Aria PC)
CPU Cooler: Corsair - H75 54 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler (Purchased For £0.00)
Motherboard: Asus - ROG STRIX X470-I GAMING Mini ITX AM4 Motherboard (£177.97 @ More Computers)
Memory: Corsair - Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory (£123.59 @ Aria PC)
Storage: Kingston - A400 120 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive (Purchased For £0.00)
Storage: Seagate - FireCuda 2 TB 2.5" 5400RPM Hybrid Internal Hard Drive (Purchased For £0.00)
Storage: Seagate - BarraCuda 1 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (Purchased For £0.00)
Video Card: MSI - GeForce RTX 2080 8 GB VENTUS Video Card (£774.99 @ Amazon UK)
Case: Fractal Design - Core 500 Mini ITX Desktop Case (£54.95 @ Amazon UK)
Power Supply: SeaSonic - FOCUS Plus Gold 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply (£100.97 @ More Computers)
Monitor: Samsung - S24E510C 23.6" 1920x1080 60 Hz Monitor (Purchased For £0.00)
Monitor: *Samsung - U28E590D 28.0" 3840x2160 60 Hz Monitor (£261.00 @ Amazon UK)
Keyboard: Corsair - K30 Wired Gaming Keyboard (Purchased For £0.00)
Mouse: Mad Catz - R.A.T. M Bluetooth Wireless Laser Mouse (Purchased For £0.00)
Total: £1781.46
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
*Lowest price parts chosen from parametric criteria
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-11-16 18:04 GMT+0000

The prime mediocre

Distinguished
https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/92bbr6

I swapped out some parts for newer/better stuff. You'll want to double-check dimensions--I think the PSU cabling can interfere with the GPU in that case, if the PSU is too long. And you're upgrading your monitor, right? A 1080 Ti/2080 will be wasted on anything less than a 4K60 or 1440p144 monitor (or high-end VR). I'd even consider those cards overkill for 1440p. If you're sticking to 1080p for now, I'd recommend a GTX 1060 or RX 580. You can wait and upgrade GPU and monitor simultaneously.

To answer your questions:
- Nobody knows what kind of resources games will demand in the future. But for £2000, you're pretty safe. 4-5, heck, even six or eight years with a GPU upgrade somewhere in there. Unless Intel's progress suddenly lurches forward, an 8700K/9700K will last a really long time.
- I looked into that case once, and it's commodious as heck. If I Remember Correctly, as long as your PSU is ≤160mm long, you're okay. Maybe double check that. But that should be the only potential difficulty.
- The build I linked above has newer parts. The 1080 Ti and 2080 are about the same price in the UK, so there's little reason not to go with the newer architecture. More cores (9700K) are often preferable to more threads (8700K) in games, but it's kind of a personal preference at this point.

Nov 14, 2018
Thanks for the updated list :)

- Would there be any better Mini ITX cases?

- I have not looked into the monitor as yet do you have any suggestions that would fit into my budget?

- Does the memory size within the graphics card affect the performance that much, as the 1080 has 11gb where as the 2080 has 8gb?

I picked this case because it is very easy to build/work in. Most other ITX cases are a real pain in the ass and provide no adequate air flow due to poor design. I've researched all of them. I chose a locked i7 8700 due to case size, CPU cooler and thermal constraints. You'll quickly find overclocking in a case that size will be counterproductive due to thermals. I opted with 1tb SSD with room for growth. The last thing you want to do is have to work inside a small case due to SSD capacity limitations. The front 200mm fan will in-take air directly over the motherboard, flowing into the CPU cooler and the CPU cooler will provide continuous flow out the back of the chassis.

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700 3.2 GHz 6-Core Processor (£312.60 @ Amazon UK)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master - MasterAir Pro 3 28 CFM CPU Cooler (£22.98 @ CCL Computers)
Motherboard: Asus - ROG Strix H370-I Gaming Mini ITX LGA1151 Motherboard (£128.48 @ Ebuyer)
Memory: G.Skill - Ripjaws V Series 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory (£152.25 @ Amazon UK)
Storage: Samsung - 970 Evo 1 TB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive (£219.97 @ Amazon UK)
Video Card: EVGA - GeForce RTX 2080 8 GB XC GAMING Video Card (£711.48 @ Scan.co.uk)
Case: Thermaltake - Core V1 Mini ITX Desktop Case (£42.46 @ Amazon UK)
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA G2 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply (£90.46 @ Scan.co.uk)
Total: £1680.68
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-11-14 14:01 GMT+0000

Wer3badatgames

Commendable
Jan 20, 2017
Honestly if your gonna upgrade your whole system and possibly want room for peripherals and such might i suggest trying to go for an amd build?
Yeah I understand Intel fandom however I would suggest looking into the actual performance of amd products as their most recent products are starting to compete with intel.
If you wanna see about amd I have a parts list of different internals linked below though you may need to find a different case.
I should mention it also comes about £600 less as well as having similar performance only thing that'd make it better is switching out the graphics card for yours
https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/7HC7dX

Nov 14, 2018
I have nothing against AMD my current PC is AMD however I think once I swapped the graphics card and the memory price was showing I do not think it will be that much cheaper than the Intel build. Its more a question of is the AMD better than the intel CPU and would it be better at handling Games and multi tasking as I will usually be streaming a video or doing some coding in between loading screens/re-spawn for Battlefield.

Nov 14, 2018
Hi,
I would honestly go for a Ryzen 2700X paired with a X470 or B450 motherboard.
If you're gaming at 1440p you wouldn't miss Intel and you could always opt for a 2080 or 2080TI with the saved money
If you are streaming the difference between the 2700X and the 8700K will be non existent

The prime mediocre

Distinguished
There are better mITX cases, but the Node 304 is definitely in the top tier of units from non-boutique manufacturers. There's plenty of room to work with. Your budget will accommodate an Ncase M1, which is a standard aluminum tower case. I don't know what availability is like in the UK, though. If you like the look of the Node, you probably aren't going to find anything better. Fractal is kind of unique. I checked the dimensions of the Seasonic Focus Plus Platinum, and it will not interfere with a long graphics card.

You could look at another Fractal Design case: the Define Nano S. It's a standard tower-style case for ITX boards. If you're going to be sitting at a desk, it might be preferable to the HTPC/cube form factor.

You'll probably have to make some compromises to fit a nice monitor: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/dFJJP3
It looks like a 4K or 1440p144Hz panel should cost about £400. If you move down from a 2080 to a 2070, you could get a really nice monitor and come in under budget.

Since the Nvidia 700 series, memory size has not (in 99% of cases) limited performance on high-end cards. 8GB is enough for the amount of work the 2080 is able to do. The older 1080 Ti had GDDR5X clocked at 10Gbps on a 352-bit memory bus, and the newer 2080 has GDDR6 clocked at 14Gbps on a 256-bit bus. The increased per-pin speed of GDDR6 makes up most of the difference: it manages 448GB/s vs the 1080 Ti's 484GB/s. The TU104 GPU (2080) is slightly faster and a lot newer. It has a lower TDP, which is nice for an ITX build.

Edit: I don't have any monitor recommendations on-hand, as I've not been paying attention (I've had the same 1440p60Hz panel since 2015). I can try to find some good resources to link you later if you like.

I'm not a big fan of cases like the Define Nano S design because the power supply blocks half of the graphics card's ventilation. If you, the OP ends up going with a case like that, make sure graphics card is a blower design so the fan protrudes out further than the PSU. The focus G mini is a tad bigger and allows for a good gap between the PSU and the GPU. I can't speak for the Node 304, but my absolute favorite is the Skyreach S4 Mini but that is a hole entire different story:
https://nfc-systems.com/

Nov 14, 2018

Would this need a 750W Power Supply? I have swapped this out for a 550W Power Supply.

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 7 2700X 3.7 GHz 8-Core Processor (£287.99 @ Aria PC)
Motherboard: MSI - B450M MORTAR Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard (£87.99 @ Ebuyer)
Memory: G.Skill - Ripjaws V Series 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory (£131.99 @ Amazon UK)
Storage: Samsung - 970 Evo 1 TB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive (£219.97 @ Amazon UK)
Video Card: MSI - GeForce RTX 2080 8 GB DUKE Video Card (£729.99 @ Ebuyer)
Case: Fractal Design - Focus G Mini (Black) MicroATX Mini Tower Case (£44.99 @ Novatech)
Power Supply: SeaSonic - FOCUS Plus Gold 550 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply (£80.01 @ CCL Computers)
Case Fan: Fractal Design - X2 GP-12 (White) 52.3 CFM 120mm Fan (£12.46 @ Amazon UK)
Total: £1595.39
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-11-14 20:15 GMT+0000

Don't do it. Stay with the 750w. If it were a 2070/1080 or lower then i'd say yes.

Wer3badatgames

Commendable
Jan 20, 2017
Honestly what im seeing so far looks great but to answer your question on the 750w power supply. Yes it is very neccesary. Where switching to amd can give you heck amounts of bang for your buck it draws a crap ton more power. Not to mention your throwing the 2080 into the mix and a m.2 sata both of which draw more power than most other conventional means. (btw nice touch with adding the m.2 i was gonna suggest one but didnt know if you knew how to use it). However only thing i think would be better is trying to find a board with the x470 chipset. the b450 is nice but the x470 is really made to take advantage of those newer ryzen chips and you'll squeeze a little more power out of that than the b450 chipset.The motherboard i suggest originally is really great as it also has the m.2 slot it looks like your going after. Also as far as cases go i find for budget options DIYPC offers some really nice cases with lots of room and plenty of fan space for cooling. I personally use the DIYPC Shadow-H01

The prime mediocre

Distinguished
650W is Nvidia's recommended wattage, which usually assumes you've got a 65W i7. They don't specify an efficiency rating. A 450W 80+ Bronze unit would be closer to "minimum". 550 is fine, and you'd be more likely to hit 50% load (close to peak efficiency) when gaming.

Your current monitor is pretty nice! It's tough to beat VA black levels.

I can't find any professional reviews for this 32-inch ViewSonic 1440p144Hz panel but I found a couple Reddit/forum threads praising it. This Dell monitor is smaller but has a higher refresh rate. The 4K60Hz market is much larger and difficult to navigate. It's all about panel size and quality.

So, have you decided against an ITX build OP?

The prime mediocre

Distinguished

- The 2700X consumes less power than the i7-8700 (non-K) at load. Here is the "Power Consumption" section of the Tom's review for the former CPU. The extra fifty watts the Coffee Lake i7s use is still pretty insignificant for a single-GPU system. In that review, the 2700X adheres almost perfectly to its TDP, and the GPU probably won't break the 225W figure given for the Nvidia Founders Edition card.

- I have an OCZ RD400, which is the least efficient PCIe M.2 NVMe drive I know of. It consumes, at most, about 2.5W. A superior SATA or PCIe drive will probably stay in the hundreds of milliwatts.

Also: two thousand pounds is a lot of money! You can get a pretty nice case for, like, £80, OP.

Edit: Just to be clear, I'm not saying the 750W is a bad recommendation. But it is far more than necessary, and the stuff you said about Ryzen/M.2 power consumption just isn't true.

Wer3badatgames

Commendable
Jan 20, 2017
Wow thats actually quite suprising considering that amd advertises the 2700x to be rated at 105w where its competitior the i9 9700k is rated at 95w. To find out that amd is like "look guys we can advertise that we have crap power draw when we really dont and still beat you"
However you never want to underestimate the possibility of actually hitting full wattage load they have rated so rather than going off of the tests people have done on the cpu privately id rather go with what the manufacturer suggests. You know rather be safe than sorry. So going with the fact that the 2700x is rated at 105w and the graphics card hes looking at has a suggested psu of 650w, I personally would say a 750w power supply is giving him exactly what the manufacturer themselves suggest without going to barebones and hoping he never hits their tested limits. Again safe than sorry and its not too much more in price difference to be honest

Wer3badatgames

Commendable
Jan 20, 2017
Also on another note (im sorry i forgot to mention it)
In comparison between the two a Samsung 860 EVO 2.5'' SSD 500gb draws 2.2w~ while the Samsung 970 EVO m.2 2280 500gb draws 30mw idle however the instant it kicks into action its minimum power draw is 5.7w with a maximum of 10w in burst mode. So yes m.2 does draw more power overall then its predecessors by anywhere from twice to five times as much.

The prime mediocre

Distinguished
Here's a nice Anandtech article that might clarify some TDP stuff: "Why Intel Processors Draw More Power Than Expected"

Basically, Intel CPUs draw their rated wattage at base clocks. But whether they stay within that figure while Turbo-Boosting depends entirely on the system integrator (your motherboard and, to a lesser extent, you).

Nvidia's 650W recommendation is based on an "Intel Core i7 3.2GHz processor". I'd take this to mean "a current-generation 65W i7," which we know will exceed 95W on pretty much any high-end motherboard that isn't manually set to adhere to Intel's Turbo Boost specifications. So, the "650W" figure would already include the CPU wattage--as well as the motherboard, SSDs, HDDs, memory, fans, etc. typical of a gaming or workstation PC. 650W is an extremely comfortable output level for any single-GPU mainstream system.

The prime mediocre

Distinguished

Ah, yeah, I was looking at an active idle consumption chart. Oops. Still, 10W is not significant.