iexplore.exe has generated errors and will be closed by Wi..

G

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.security (More info?)

When I click on internet explorer it will not open. This error message appears "IEXPLORE.exe has generated errors and will be closed by Windows. You will need to restart the program. An error log is being created."

My operating software is Windows 2000 Professional

I have read similar postings to this forum and did the following as a result:

Downloaded and ran Spybot
Downloaded and ran Ad-aware
Updated my virus software to Norton 2004

Tried to access some antispyware websites via my other computer but the sites would not come up. ex www.spywareinfo.com

I have run these programs in safe mode as well.

The problem is that there are just a few detections that are not being removed. These problems are listed as:

Common Hijacker hkey_local_machine\software\microsoft\windows\currentversion\url\default\prefix\!=http://

DSO Exploit
hkey_users\s-1-5-21-1530610619-212009687-61747075-1000\software\microsoft\windows\currentversion\internetsettings\zones\0\1004!=w=3
and
hkey_users\default\software\microsoft\windows\currentversion\internetsettings\zones\0\1004!=w=3

Does anyone know how to fix this problem?

G

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.security (More info?)

You may want to post in a spyware or IE newsgroup or forum but here are a few things
to try or consider.

When you run AdAware make sure you update it prior to running which you can do from
within the application before scanning. Also select customize for the scan and then
enable scanning for all options under memory and registry and then select
tweaks/cleaning engine - automatically try to unregister objects. It may also help to
go to IE tools/internet options/advanced and unselect enable third party browser
extensions. This requires a restart and will disable BHO's which may require you to
reinstall some ones you use later such as the Google Toolbar. After restart try
AdAware and run twice in a row and then in safe mode. If objects keep reappearing you
will have to try more advanced techniques such as Hijack This. See the link below for
more details. --- Steve

http://www.aumha.org/a/quickfix.htm
http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/protect/default.aspx -- general security
tips.

"mikeneedshelp" <mikeneedshelp@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:16D1BFFA-7BB6-44AE-A593-BB4F5011482A@microsoft.com...
> When I click on internet explorer it will not open. This error message appears
"IEXPLORE.exe has generated errors and will be closed by Windows. You will need to
restart the program. An error log is being created."
>
> My operating software is Windows 2000 Professional
>
> I have read similar postings to this forum and did the following as a result:
>
> Downloaded and ran Spybot
> Downloaded and ran Ad-aware
> Updated my virus software to Norton 2004
>
> Tried to access some antispyware websites via my other computer but the sites would
not come up. ex www.spywareinfo.com
>
> I have run these programs in safe mode as well.
>
> The problem is that there are just a few detections that are not being removed.
These problems are listed as:
>
> Common Hijacker
hkey_local_machine\software\microsoft\windows\currentversion\url\default\prefix\!=htt
p://
>
> DSO Exploit
>
hkey_users\s-1-5-21-1530610619-212009687-61747075-1000\software\microsoft\windows\cur
rentversion\internetsettings\zones\0\1004!=w=3
> and
>
hkey_users\default\software\microsoft\windows\currentversion\internetsettings\zones\0
\1004!=w=3
>
> Does anyone know how to fix this problem?
>