Is it true? Tom's runs on FreeBSD?

randomizer

Champion
That's because they pray during their meditation that it never BSODs. Unfortunately, the server has other issues while they are meditating.

503_error.gif

tanderskey

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2009
yeah i saw that the ISP BSO Communications has a webcache delivering page requests for tomshardware.com ... and notes both linux and freebsd.

i wasnt sure if just the webcache appliance was the only thing running freebsd or whether the whole site was running it.

i guess it doesnt matter that much in my daily life ... but i was curious.

thanks for playing.

tanderskey

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2009
OS-X server. that would be pretty funny ... esp considering all the vitriol aimed at apple products and its users by fans of other OS's in the news areas here. you dont like osx? well youre posting your comments with it right ... now.

BSO Communications does seem to own an ip block out of Paris and those French do "think different".

a bit off topic but when i last visited i loved how Parisians would stand directly in front of "no smoking" signs and, you know, smoke. and if you looked at them, then at the sign, then back at them the most theyd do is kinda shrug one shoulder as if to say, what? made me smile.

MS Hotmail ran on FreeBSD for years, because Hotmail was built on FreeBSD long before MS bought it.

At the time, all MS had as a server OS was... NT 4.0.

Remember what happened to the first 'get the FUD about Linux' website MS started? When it was found out that it actually ran Apache on a debian box, they migrated. 6 hours later, the site was down due to 'unrecoverable OS error'.

It's been down ever since.