ASUS M2N8-VMX and 16x cards

wild9

Distinguished
May 20, 2007
Hi,

Can you confirm the following? The ASUS M2N8-VMX has a 16x slot, with half the lanes disabled. Does this mean that I can for instance, use a Geforce 8800GTS on this board? Or do such cards only run in 16x mode? I am thinking that these cards are backwards-compatible since they can run in SLI, which is 2 slots in 8x mode on most system. I just need my mind putting at rest.

Thanks a lot guys. Have a good day.

wild9

Distinguished
May 20, 2007
Thanks mousemonkey, I appreciate it. Yes, I am a little concerned about the footprint issue as well as PSU and cooling. I don't think there'd be any noticeable difference having run the card at x8 instead of it's default x16.

One thing that did confuse me, was people saying I could not use this card because it is 'x16' only. I thought all such cards were SLI-capable and therfore able to run a x8.

I don't know if it will run at 8x when its on it's own because in some Sli boards the main slot is usually a 16x slot and only becomes 8x when another card is added and Sli is enabled, this is the sort of question I think you would be better off asking Grape Ape or Cleeve, those are two people that you would get a much more informed and clearer answer from.

marlborosmoker

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2007
I have this board, I've had a x1950pro in it. Now I don't know exactly how big the 8800gts is but I can't imagine it'd be too much bigger. You will definitely lose one of the PCIEx1 slots.

For reference that card is a 2600xt. the underside of the card clears the RAM by about 1/2 an inch. The X1950pro was a very tight fit though.

But as I said I can only compare it to an x1950pro and I don't exactly know how big a 8800gts is though.

It will work in a PCIEx8 slot, the performance hit from what I've been told will not be that significant at least in terms of real world performance.

shal

Distinguished
May 30, 2009
Hi,
I have added the Geforce 9600GT recently, fits perfectly well, although all it blocks is the PCI express slot (that I have never used).
Doesn't block any RAM slots.

I was questioning the sales person at the computer store prior to my purchase, and he told me that all PCI-Express slots are 16x and that only AGP were in 4x-8x.
Well the card works like a charm for me :)

Cheers!
Vishal Sabharwal

Only two years late, good job!