blue tint

Status
Not open for further replies.

eyal8r

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2008
I have a HP dv9010us Pavilion Laptop. The laptop's display works great. I've always used an external LCD monitor- and about a month ago, the secondary monitor suddenly had a blue tint to the screen. The laptop's display worked great. Eventually the 2nd LCD screen wouldn't even display a picture. Assuming it burned out- I just got home with a brand new Samsung 22" LCD monitor- plugged it in, same exact problem- blue tinted screen. Initially I thought it might be a bent pin in the cable or receptacle- but I tried brand new cables with no results. My laptop also has a 'docking stand' in which has an external monitor jack in that as well. I tried the docking stand's monitor output, as well as the one directly on the laptop- both have the same exact results- blueish tint to the screen. This leads me to believe it's NOT the monitors or the cables.

Do you have ANY ideas as to what this could be, and how to fix it? My drivers are completely up to date as well. Please help...

Check under color(in the monitor settings -> Color -> Color Tone). There will be a bluish tint with the color tone setting called "Cool" on Samsung screens.

Also look for a color temperature option(in the video card options). 6400k is normal, anything higher may look blueish.

eyal8r

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2008
Hmmm- nope. It's set to 'Normal' in the monitor menu for color tone (not cool). Also- I don't believe it's the monitor, as it's brand new, and my old one was doing the same exact thing before I replaced it. I think it has to do with the laptop or graphics card maybe? What I don't get is- the laptop's primary display works perfectly- so if it was the graphics card, wouldn't BOTH displays be messed up? Please help - Im getting desperate here...

Ok, so this is not just a slight blue, its an outright super blue right?

The only thing that causes that is if a pin on the plug(either on the laptop of cable, my bet is laptop). I am not sure how you would fix this.

Its possible that the laptops own d-sub port is starting to unsolder from the board(if it was DVI the colors should not change). That sucks and would cause this to happen.

Sorry, thats about the only thing i can think of that causes that to happen(had it on a old desktop, messing with the plug fixed it).

eyal8r

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2008
Right- but here's the problem- I have 2 ports. One on the laptop itself, one on the docking station. I've tried both ports- same problem. So I don't think it's the ports themselves anymore. Oh- forgot to mention, running XP, nVidio GEeForce 6500 w/ the latest drivers. I don't think it's software related- as it started to go out last month, then corrected itself, then went out again, and never corrected after that- just stayed blue. Oh, and yes, it's super blue- no reds at all- so it must be a red pin or something that's out? Anyways- what do I do here?

I used to work for best buy and when our vga splitters went bad alot of the tims they would display problems like your having. If changing the cable doesn't fix the problem and making sure the cables are tight, i would say you have a bad vga port. sorry bud but nothing i think you can do about that.

eyal8r

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2008
Yeah, that seems to be the most logical- but BOTH PORTS out at the same time with the same exact problem? That I find hard to believe...

eyal8r

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2008
yeah- just tried BOTH ports again- moved it all around, in, out, tight, loose- same results. It makes me wonder if there's something inside the laptop itself?

I DO have s-video connections, and the new monitor has Digital input- is there an adapter I can get in the mean time? Will my resolution/quality suffer going this route? I really need this fixed asap...
Thanks for all the help!

eyal8r

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2008
jtt- so is there a way to find that out for SURE? I am calling HP tech support tomorrow (I highly doubt they'll give me any solutions)...

The docking port is not a second port, just like a internal extension from that port(that does make it worse as the problem would be even deeper in the notebook, i assume its a similar dock to the R3000 one). I do not think you can plug 3 screens into that system (Onboard and then one VGA and one Dock.)

If you think it is software then i suggest you you download a live linux CD(linux that runs off a cd without installing anything on the computer) and see if the colors are still wrong when it loads. Or at least run windows in safe mode since that runs without the video drivers(F8 like crazy just before the windows loading screen).

eyal8r

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2008
Nuke
Thanks for the reply. Just so I'm clear here- I run the external monitor 24/7 on the docking station port. When the laptop is docked- the geniouses at HP mape the docking connector plug too close to the external monitor plug on the laptop itself- so you physically can't have both plugged in at the same time. They force you to use the docking station's port IF the laptop is docked. Otherwise, if it's not docked, you can use the laptop's direct port. Either way- neither ports work- they both look the exact same- strong blue...

eyal8r

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2008
ok- just rebooted into safe mode. It's not software- when the 'Dos' screen was running through the file list at loading- the white lettering had a blue tint to it on my 2nd monitor. The laptop screen was perfect black and white. This totally sucks- can anyone help?
Thanks

eyal8r

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2008
Dang. ok- well, I assume that the graphics card is integrated. So, does that mean they would have to fix/repair/replace the motherboard completely? If it's NOT covered by warranty- is that an expensive thing to do (I'm on a tight budget!). I realize most people would just go buy a new laptop- but my finances don't dictate that option right now. What are my solutions here?

Light Sport Pilot

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2008
I have an HP laptop Pavilion dv 2000 and have the exact same problem. I hooked another monitor to the video output and the same blue tint. It starts up many times OK but quickly goes to the blue tint. Sometimes it flichers back and forth.
Has anything been resolved with this?

dntmac

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2009
I have an HP laptop Pavilion dv 2310. I too have the same problem of blue tint screen. Here is a portion of emails between me and HP support. Start at the bottom and read up. If you found other fix except the repair shop, please let me know.

Thank you for writing back to HP Total Care.

I recommend you to contact with your notebook to a nearest HP Authorized Service Provider to resolve this issue, because it is apparent that this issue requires the visual inspection of a technician at the HP Authorized Service Provider. Please contact the HP Authorized service center nearest to you for further assistance.

Please follow the steps listed below for assistance in locating a local
HP Authorized Support Provider.

1. Go to the following Web site:

http://h20465.www2.hp.com/GPL/search.aspx?language_code=en&country_code=us&SearchType=SSP

This will take you to the find a US local HP authorized service
provider page.

2. In the category menu select the appropriate HP product.

3. After selecting the appropriate category you will get a list of HP
products in the Family box. Select the family in which your
product is located.

4. After Selecting the family of the product you will get a list of
products under the product list.

5. Select your product from the list under the product section and
click Next.

6. Follow the instructions on the service options page.

If no stores are located, repeat the search using another zip code
within your local area.

If you have further questions, please reply to this message and we will be happy to help you.

For information on keeping your HP and Compaq products up and running,
please visit our Web site at:

http://www.hp.com/go/totalcare

Sincerely,

Wilson
HP Total Care

Our advice is strictly limited to the question(s) asked and is based on the information provided to us. HP does not assume any responsibility or liability for the advice given and shall not be liable for any direct, indirect, special, incidental or consequential damages in connection with the use of this information. Always back up your data. Stay connected and protected with HP's new online storage and sharing service, HP Upline. To try it FREE for one year, please visit:
http://redirect.hp.com/svs/rdr?TYPE=4&s=upline&tp=upline_email&pf=cndt&locale=en_us&bd=pavilion&c=none
For more information, including technical information updates, please visit our Web site at http://www.hp.com/support.
HP does not require you to send any financial data in your reply to this email. As a prudent reminder, do not insert credit card details or other financial information in any e-mail replies.

Subject: Re: Re: HP Pavilion dv2310us Notebook PC e-mail su

Happy New Year!
And no it didn't work. I did all the steps, check it twice, rebooted and still have a blue tint screen.

Thank you for contacting HP Total Care.

I gather from your email that the isuse with the external monitor connected to the notebook turning blue is still not resolved.
I understand your concern in this regard and will make sure that I give you the correct information.
Microsoft has a service called Transient Multimon Manager (TMM). Disabling this serviceshould resolve the issue. Please follow the below given steps to disable the TMM service.
1. Click on the Start
2. Type "Task Scheduler" and hit Enter.
3. On the left-hand side, click "Task Scheduler Local" (you should already be there, but just in case).
4. Expand "Task Scheduler Library," then "Microsoft," then "Windows," then click "MobilePC."
5. Up top, you will see a task called "TMM." Click it, and on the right-hand side, click "Disable.
6. Restart the computer if prompted.
Now, check thebehavior of the external monitor connected to your notebook. Please let us know the outcome. If you need further assistance, please reply to this message and we will be happy to assist you further.

For information on keeping your HP and Compaq productsup and running, please visit our Web site at: http://www.hp.com/go/totalcare

Sincerely,
Susan
HP Total Care

-----Original Message-----
Date: 01/01/2009 04:50:12 INDIA
To: laptop_support_en@MAIL.SUPPORT.HP.COM
Cc:
Subject: Re: HP Pavilion dv2310us Notebook PC e-mail suppor

Matthew,
The fix worked for awhile then the attached monitor turn blue again. I attached another monitor to the laptop and it's screen was blue also. So I did steps 1-3 again. The screen was blue but shortlywent to normal. The screen now has move back and forth between normal and lite blue. It just now when blue again and has stayed that way. Does it need go to a repair shop?

EMAIL #1 BELOW
Sent: Friday, December 12, 2008 3:28:10 PM
Subject: Re: HP Pavilion dv2310us Notebook PC e-mail suppor

Hello Doyle,

Thank you for contacting HP Total Care.
I understand from your email that the display on the externalmonitoris flickering and also dim blue when connected to your HP Pavilion dv2310us Notebook PC. Please correct me if I am wrong.
I realize the importance of the issue and assure you that I will provide appropriate information.
Doyle, this issue might occur if the display adapter has gone bad or might be an issue with the hardware failure of external monitor. Please perform the steps given below to isolate the issue.
Step 1: Releasing flea power
1. Shutdown the notebook if it is switched on.
2. Remove thebattery.
3. Remove all the external connections from the notebook including the AC adapter.
4. Press and hold the power button for 30 seconds.
5. Release the power button.
6. Reconnect the AC adapter.
7. Reseat the battery.
Step 2: Remove and reseat memory
Please click on the link given below to get a video representation of removing and reseating memory
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c00808442&lc=en&dlc=en&cc=us&lang=en&rule=37552&product=3370089
NOTE: Clicking the link may give an error indicating it is invalid. If this
occurs, copy the portion of the address on the remaining line(s) and paste
it at the end of the address showing in your browser until the complete
address is displayed in the Address box.
Step 3: Remove and reseat hard disk
Please click on the link given below to get a video representation of removing and reseating hard disk
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c00808444&lc=en&dlc=en&cc=us&lang=en&rule=37552&product=3370089
NOTE: Clicking the linkmay give an error indicating it is invalid. If this
occurs, copy the portion of the address on the remaining line(s) and paste
it at the end of the address showing in your browser until the complete
address is displayed in the Address box.
Step 5: Update display driver
Please click on the link given below to update display driver
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareDownloadIndex?softwareitem=ob-47094-1&lc=en&dlc=en&cc=us&lang=en&os=2093&product=3370089
1. Click on the file sp34747.exe and saveiton the desktop.
2. Run the saved file to update display driver.
Step 5: BIOS update
Please click on the link given below to update BIOS
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareDownloadIndex?softwareitem=ob-56219-1&lc=en&dlc=en&cc=us&lang=en&os=2093&product=3370089
1. Click on the file sp38062.exe and save it on the desktop.
2. Run the saved file to update BIOS.
Step 6: Check in external monitor
Please connect the notebook to an external monitor and check if you are able to get a proper display now.
Please get back to us with the results after performing the steps mentioned which will help us in assisting you further.
Thank you.
If you need further assistance, please reply to this message and we will be happy to assist you further.

For information onkeeping your HP and Compaq products up and running, please visit our Web site
at:
http://www.hp.com/go/totalcare

Sincerely,
Matthew
HP Total Care

G

Hey guys, I have an HP Pavillion dv6000, same problem. Not sure when the last post was but I'm wondering if anyone ever fixed this problem? Have an amazing set up with my computer and a 32 inch tv in a dorm room but it sucks to use because everything is blue. Hopefully someone can help me.

G

I can totally relate to the blue screen. I'm a graphics person and had a two brand new Dell monitors that displayed a blue screen. I'm not a techie, but here's what fixed the problem: I have a new computer that I can hook up two monitors to. Using VGA cables, the second monitor always displayed a blue tint and eventually became stuck in power save mode. Finally, after replacing the cables with DVI cables the problem was fixed. Don't know if the VGA cables were defective, but the DVI cables seemed to fix the problem of the blue screen. Hope that helps.

ravenware

Distinguished
May 17, 2005
I believe this is an issue with the VGA connector on the card/Graphics port.

I had a similar issue with the secondary port on discrete 7800GT.
The only difference was a pink tint instead of blue.

brkelner

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2009
I also have a dv2000 and had been experiencing the bluish tint.
I observed this to happen what the laptop began to overheat.
I am guessing that this malfunction of the VGA out to the secondary monitor is due to overheating.

Here my solution
I bought an external USB fan and I direct the fan to pass air through the area around the left back side of the laptop. By doing this I keep the VGA area cooled down. I also bought a cool down unit for my laptop. The laptop sits on this unit that also has fans that extract heat from the botton of the laptop.

I have been running this fan for about 1 week and the bluish tint no longer occurrs.

So far so good

brkelner

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2009

I also have a dv2000 and had been experiencing the bluish tint.
I observed this to happen what the laptop began to overheat.
I am guessing that this malfunction of the VGA out to the secondary monitor is due to overheating.

Here my solution
I bought an external USB fan and I direct the fan to pass air through the area around the left back side of the laptop. By doing this I keep the VGA area cooled down. I also bought a cool down unit for my laptop. The laptop sits on this unit that also has fans that extract heat from the botton of the laptop.

I have been running this fan for about 1 week and the bluish tint no longer occurrs.

So far so good
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Update after 1 week.
My theory is wrong.
Even with external cooling the blue tint is back.

I think this is definetly an HP design flaw on DV 2000.

slhcreations

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2009
I have an hp dv2310us. I don't have a blue tint but a screen with many horizontal lines, different colors. It stays that way till I shut it down. I have contacted HP for this and I get different answers. Last technician told me to install Vista again. Just when I was going to do that, the laptop didn't want to boot the whole morning.

I have been observing it for days when the lines occur but no conclusions yet. There are days I can use the laptop for hours and some days, it would just happen in a few minutes. So I guess it's not overheating. But my laptop is sure hot. If I put my laptop on my lap, I think I'll get burned.

The lines don't happen as often now. I have deleted all my files ready to go for repair.

My laptop was covered under the enchanced warranty program. A new motherboard was placed September last year. It has been Ok till about 10 days ago. I am stuck on what to do with this laptop. I have gotten used to working on a laptop, it seems hard to adjust to a desktop again.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.