Power Supply!!!

Misko195

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2010
Hi,,,

My first quetion is:
What mean version on Power Supply?
Example Antec 600w ver: 2.3 or ver: 1.3?

And my second question is:
Is this Power Supply good and enought for my system?

-HKC 550w
http://www.hkc-europe.com/showPro.asp?ArticleID=391

or

-GlacialTech 550w
http://www.glacialpower.com/products/pc-power-AL.htm

I know about Antec, Cooler Master, Thermaltake or another good PSU.
But please sugest me other brend becouse in my country i can't find that bend.

My next PC should be:
-CPU I5 750
-MSI P55-GD65
-DDR3 2x2gb Corsair 1333Mhz
-HDD 500 WD Green
-MSI R5770 Hawk
-DVD-RW LG 16x
-22" LG W2243S-PF

I wouldn't buy the HKC 550. It's an old design dressed up with modern cables. Efficiency is less that 80%. It has poor power distribution on the outputs: really heavy 5 volt rail and really light 12 volt rail. A good 550 watt PSU should be able to produce about 40 amps on the 12 volt output.

I don't know anything about the Glacial Tech PSU's, but the specs look a lot better - better than 80% efficiency, better power distribution over the output rails, and something I always like to see: full rated output at 50 C.

ksampanna

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2010
Both the PSUs which you have listed are absolutely crap. Never mind all that 80+ certification. Their +12 V ratings are very low. Now the graphic cards are connected to these +12V railings, & if they do not provide sufficient current, the entire system will crash. Usually, a good quality psu has decent currents on the +12 rails. So don't get either of those.

I assume from the specs you have listed that this psu is also probably available:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817371016

^ That's quite an assumption considering that the OP has stated that he can't find Antec's in his country.
Dual 18 amp rails that, according to the specs, combine to output 36 amps is fine for the OP's specified system.

Misko195

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2010
Thx, im really nervous about this PSU.
But guys, i go 5 years with Delux 440W PSU and i don't have problem. On my old celeron and FX5500.

I live in Croatia and here is really hard to find good PSU, how Antec, Cooler Master, Thermaltake..........Any other sugestion for solid PSU?

And pls one more question.

In case to blow up PSU, can go in hell motherboard and other components?

And JSC you tell in this case better PSU is Glacial Tech, right?

bobalazs

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2010
With a bad psu, with no overcurrent protection, all can go to hell.
The Delux was allright with that load, but with higher end components it's a no go.
Get a Corsair PSU instead.

Misko195

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2010

40amps on 12V output... Pls tell me one PSU with this spec?

The general rule of thumb is a high quality 500 to 550 watt power supply with sufficient current (amps) on the +12 volt rail(s) can easily power a system with any single video card made. A high quality 700 to 750 watt power supply with sufficient current (amps) on the +12 volt rail(s) can power a system with two video cards operating in dual mode. There are a few exceptions like the new ATI Radeon HD 5XXX series cards which use less power due to their energy efficiency. On the other hand the ATI Radeon, HD 5970 and the new Nvidia Fermi cards require more power.

A high quality 500 to 550 watt psu will have a +12 volt rail rated at 40 amps. A high quality 700 to 750 watt psu will have a +12 volt rail rated at 60 amps.

In addition the power supply should be at least 80+ Bronze certified for energy efficiency. There are some models available which have achieved 80+ Silver and 80+ Gold Certifications.

Before purchasing a new psu you will need to decide whether you will eventually have a pc with one or two video cards.

Corsair and Seasonic are two brands that have a reputation for high quality power supplies that consistently earn high marks in technical reviews. They are reliable, stable, and come with a 5 year warranty. Some of the newer models come with a 7 year warranty in the USA. Lately we've been seeing a few other brands offering some high quality units. One example would be the Antec Earthwatts and Antec TruePower New models which are a major improvement over Antec’s older psu’s like the Basiq models.

Which psu brands are available in your country?