How reliable is the Seagate ST1000DM003?

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Hey everyone. The title pretty much says it all - I'd like to get your opinions on the reliability the Seagate ST1000DM003 HDD. It is a member of Seagate's new 7200.14 Barracuda range with the 1TB per platter design. I've read a lot of reviews on the internet saying that it is fast but none of these reviews seem to mention how reliable this drive is. I plan on using it as my main boot drive for a while until I have enough money to invest in an SSD. Then it will just be used for general storage. Thank you very much in advance for your help.

DarkOutlaw

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2012
I see a ton of bad reviews about seagate not lasting long. They only offer a flat out 1yr warranty. If you want quality and reliability get western digital. Their warranty is 2-5 years depending on which one you get. Basically once the warranty is up you are on barrowed time no matter which hard drive you choose. I would rather pay a little extra to have a hard drive for the next 5 years than save $20 bucks or w/e to only have a hard drive for a year.

G

I do find it a bit surprising as I have an old 7200.10 as an external and that's still going strong after 7 or so years

DarkOutlaw

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2012
Some do some dont. But just from looking at the reviews it seems that seagate has a higher failure rate in less than a year compared to WD. I am by no means saying WD is perfect, the main selling point for me is the warranty. During that warranty period is the only time you are guaranteed to have a working hard drive. Any hard drive fails at any time for any reason other that what seems like to leave a big ol crap stain on our lives.

1) Older Seagate drives were pretty Good, infact upto the -11 snafu they were one of my drives of choice - NO longer.
2) Only Seagate drives I can recommend are the Ones produced at Samsung Plant (ie the Samsung F3, which I prefered over the WD Blacks). NOTE Seagate recently purchased Samsungs HDD (F3 plant).
3) Only drives I currently recommend (consummer grade) are the Samsung F3 and WD Blacks. I do NOT buy WD green nor Blue models.

cravin

Honorable
Jan 22, 2013

So if segate purchased the samsung plant, are some oftheir drives actually samsung f3s? Also, the F3s are significantly slower than the 7200.14 according to the benches I've seen online. Are they just more reliable? If only they could just make reliable drives :/

holmes68

Honorable
Mar 31, 2013

holmes68

Honorable
Mar 31, 2013
I can say from personal experience that the Seagate ST1000DM003 is not reliable. Mine has just crashed and is only 8 months old.

Von-Neumann

Honorable
Sep 10, 2013
1 year late. better late than never.
Most failures of HDD are caused by bad power. #2 is heat over 40C?, #3 is shock (mostly laptops). or dropped external drives.
if the power to the logic is wrong the logic, fails. that is your job and that includes noise. So can a bad sata cable or unbuffered sata ports with a non powered drive in parallel. "cheap motorboards" do not leave non powered HDD , plugged in digitally. Some Sata chips are flawed, (mobos)
the old 2004 bridge Sata-Pata can be a pain to set up. RTM.
The same on new board, some SATA conn. are RAID only ! RTM.
RTMB ,read the mother board manual.?
IF you run the HDD in a system with a quality 500 ++ watt PSU , (some made in the country of clones, are crap "C4") and with a UPS the drives don't .fail.
Read the data sheet on the drive, see those numbers for power, take that to the bank... no lie. Its not a rumor it's electronic performance..

most beefs , are from users not knowing what they are doing, consumers....
did you ever consider reading Seagate's QA program? check that out. It is a very well tested product and is QA tested and certified.

the #1 killer is, voltage sags, and spikes. (avoid green drives,)
I have installed only Seagate my whole life (retired now) vast numbers deployed.
For sure anything can fail, and at any time but most are like humpty dumpty, he was pushed. read the spec, and respect it.

and point 2, you can read anything on the internet, and why do that. why not ask a real tech that works these issues every day.
I had one customer running 5 PCs off one wall jack. funny that!
and refuses to wire it right $$$ and down time , so we put in a huge 3kw UPS.
He has full voltlage down to 50vac on the lines.
He was popping HDD (all brands) every 30days. after 5 years and a UPS, zero fails.

here is just certificate of many. read up on how hard it is to get that.... you will be surprised.
http://www.seagate.com/www-content/about/global-citizenship/en-us/docs/iso-9001/seagate-510982-028-science-park-cert-iso-9001-2008.pdf

and you said no info on reliability, ever try seagate.com?
The old name was MTBF. mean time before failure.
http://knowledge.seagate.com/articles/en_US/FAQ/174791en?language=en_US
note it doesn't cover, shipper dropping it from 12feet
nor user running it on 4.5v or 5.5v.

the data manual is here, in the chapter under Reliability. no less
page 12 work load
http://www.seagate.com/files/staticfiles/support/docs/manual/desktop/Desktop%20HDD%20Gen%2015/100710254-rev-c.pdf

ESD damage?
flying over 10,000 feet, (no cabin pressure) the heads do stop flying and do crash.
one way to get in trouble is running a very fast power hungry video card GPU. some really suck the current and can very easily over load (gaming?)
the weak PSU, get the best PSU , you can find, in higherwattage rating (most times this gets quality) and you might win the power battle.

many consumers think they can just bolt anything together , and is far off the mark.
IMO,
BTW2:
I see posts that say, BIOS does not recognize my Sata drive
why, and why it must. the drive motor can be dead and the drive will
be seen, because PnP chip reports if only 5v is present.
and that takes catastrophic logic failure.
1: BIOS set for SATA , disable, many BIOS older this is common
2: running old BIOS mobo that was never update flashed.
3: 5v not 5v, but say below 4.75v, oops, why is that PSU bad?
4: bad HDD, dead last. very very rare for PNP to go DEAD.

Kangaroo58

Honorable
Sep 24, 2013
I agree 90% with Von-Neuman comments. The only problem is all other brand HDs are also exposed to all these HD abuses as well and some do last longer. So at the end Seagate is more sensitive to abuses than some other brands = less reliable? Never mind how we should use them. But I wasn't going to comment others comments. I just want to remind you all that every company has a bad series HDs and this is a fact some brands manage to push under the carpet. At the beginning of PC DIY boom Quantum was a king of HDs until Maxtor bought them and destroyed the brand and themselves. Seagate is probably next oldest brand and made some most impressive and some worst HDs but mainly loads of average models. Some may remember those thin 5-1/2" Quantum Bigfoot HDs? You could put 2 of these in one 5-1/2" slot for CD ROM in the days when desktop computers were all horizontal :) Nice but not too reliable. Seagate came up with some 120-160 GB models also with low footprint (3-1/2") and they were very reliable. So IMO the best place to find out reliability of this particular model is some retail shop. If you are friendly with them or if you know someone who works there they can tell you the failure return rate. That is if they don't lie about it. And most of them will lie faceless to promote and sell the model they make the high margin on (profit). So being blind about this the warranty is actually the strongest sign. Manufacturer will not issue a 3 or 5 year warranty on high return failed models. I remember the time when both WD and Seagate had 3 years warranty. The only 2 companies! I think Seagate started this first. Seagate also included data recovery from the platters if mechanical failure in warranty. That was even more important than warranty. So why back to 1 year? They have an enormous budget so this is not an excuse. While WD is not bulletproof and may not be more reliable at all, 2-5 year warranty is giving me a piece of mind when deciding what is more reliable. Everything else is just guessing or require testing.

Sutro Helm

Honorable
Oct 20, 2013
I got a new gateway desktop with this HD (1 TB) in early August. After a month I got a blue screen from a missing boot config file. Ordered the restore disks, put in the system disc and computer seemed to repair itself, no data lost. A month later was watching a yt video and it froze, got the spinning circle, the hd giving a squeak/buzz and well, after attempted restores, reformats and nothing working (the hard drive seemed to deteriorate as I made my futile attempts, and eventually couldn't transfer anymore data to a usb hd using Hiren's boot disk), had to ship computer to TX for warranty repair. Was returned a few days ago, service notes said had to replace HD...they replaced it with the same model HD. Warranty is good for 1 year. But if/when I replace this drive out of warranty, it will not be with a seagate I'm afraid. Although I have an old computer with a 80gb seagate IDE that I installed in it in 2006 with no probs ever,

WindowsGuy

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2010
When my dad got this hard drive, it was reliable, yet the computer took a little bit longer to load; the hard drive crashed the computer; the hard drive is unresponsive, unreliable, and takes 6 minutes to an hour for it to get recognized when using an external Hard Drive enclosure, and would crash Windows/Mac OS X if it's connected internally.

I looked at the manufactured site on the Hard Drive Specs, and it's made in China (lasts less than a year, and dies). My dad had this hard drive for almost a year, and it doesn't work. On top of that, the hard drive has important data on there: reports, documents, pictures, etc.

My Seagate Barracuda ST3100528AS 1TB 7200.12 RPM SATA HDD is a Thailandese Hard Drive, never failed ANY S.M.A.R.T test, and other test on the hard drive; I've had this for almost 5 years; this one is more reliable and faster than the ST1000DM003 7200.14 RPM model.

Most of the hard drives nowadays are made in China, while the older models, including IDE, SCSI, SAS, and the older ones were made in Thailand, and other countries, like Japan, excluding China. The old Seagate Cheetah 10000+ RPM SCSI Hard Drives were made in Singapore (another big Hard Drive manufacturing company), and still work.

I recommend a Western Digital Hard Drive over Seagate nowadays since those lasts 2-5 years, and Seagate drives lasts at most a year. My old Xbox 360's 60GB Hitachi Hard Drive still works, and my old Maxtor IDE Drives (80GB - Old Original Xbox, and 200GB - Ye Olde DOS PC, including the external drives) still work to this very day.

Kangaroo58

Honorable
Sep 24, 2013
Since my last post I built two computers with this model HD but only as a second (data) HD. On both computers boot HD is 120 GB Sandisk Extreme SSD. Never heard from these two people any complaints about Seagate (or any other problems). It looks like if not boot HD they work fine. Another person replaced his dying 500GB HD with this model but wasn't happy with the performance so he replaced it with WD black and left this one as a second HD too. No complaints from him too. As for the factory machine like HP or others I suggest to replace it with other model or brand HD. If not for reliability issues but for performance gain. 1 TB WD black is $100 and you can still use your Seagate for data for unimportant stuff (downloads, videos etc). I don't think warranty is worth much today especially if they replace it with the same crap. Find a good computer technician it is worth more than a warranty.

When I first built my system, I had the Seagate HDD as my only drive. Boot times were about 40 sec. Pretty good as far as I'm concerned.

The ST1000DM003 has been a very good performer for me. Quiet, reliable and very fast.

Yogi

Timvdh

Reputable
Apr 2, 2014
I am a PC builder and built over 100 PC's with this disk in the last few months.
Not one returned so far.

R_U_3ven_Tryin9

Reputable
Apr 15, 2014

I can agree with you here on Seagate being unreliable. I bought the first one for my new build in Sept. 2013. I had to have it replaced by Dec. because it failed...Here it is April 2014 and the second one just took a dirt nap...Seagate has gotto be one of the worst HDD manufactures after their mergers...And to top it all off their Customer service is rude and treat their customers like trash....Needless to say we will not be purchasing any products manufactured by Seagate or their Samsung subsidiary...Wish you guys the best of luck finding a drive that will hold up...

aznova69

Reputable
Mar 17, 2015
I purchased a Dell Inspiron 660 desktop computer from Wal-Mart (yes, I know) just a year ago and the Seagate ST1000DM003 drive that came installed in it is now starting to fail. According to the Dell Service tag, the hard drive was is listed as HARD DRIVE, 1TB, S3, 7.2K, SGT-PHAR 6G, and apparently the desktop itself is an Early 2012 model, a year old before I even purchased it. The only changes I made to it was to install a second hard drive (500GB) for storage purposes, and wipe Windows 8 off of it and putting Windows 7 on it. I used to be a die-hard Seagate fan, even when they purchased Conner Peripherals drives that were good. Guess I'll be going back to WD drives that used to be the worst drives I experienced.

DDCO

Reputable
Apr 2, 2015
I'vd had one of these in my work machine for 14 months and it just began to fail. In the performance meter, the drive will spike to 100% activity for about 3-5 seconds just to get a blip of data. From a usability standpoint, the system hangs for a couple seconds while the drive is trying to get the data. The bios is reporting that the S.M.A.R.T. system is there but fails to accept commands. I just cloned it to an older 7200.10 and that drive works perfectly. This one is off to Seagate for warranty replacement. Environment: Stable power, Quiet, no shocks or vibration.

Status
Not open for further replies.