CPU Bottleneck Problem???

mother242

Distinguished
Oct 9, 2009
I think i am haing some CPU bottleneck trouble, but i am not sure. i am having frame
rate trouble on starcraft 2 and call of duty black ops.
This is my system:
CPU: AMD Phenom II x4 965
MoBo: Gigabyte GA- MA790XT-UD4P
Fx Card: HIS ATI Radeon HD5850 1GB
4GB G.Skill Ripjaws DDR3 RAM
500GB 7200.11 Seagate Barrcuda

So my question is: What is the problem the graphics card is powerful enough to run
these games on max settings(so i think, please correct me if i am wrong), so by that
logic it has to be something else. Is it the CPU???

If it is what should i do, having a AM3 mobo, i could get the Phenom II X6 1090T
Black Edition or i could wait for the Bulldozer range of cpu's. The next question is
will the buldozer range of cpus work in the AM3 mobo???

Thx 4 yr Help

Ripthruster

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2010
There is strong suggestions on the Black Ops PC forum that many of the problems pc users are having with it are due to it being a port from a console. My system should also run it but has some stuttering occasionally. I'm running an E8400@3.0 with a gtx260 and 4 gig ddr2. Ironically, running the game at higher res and max details with AA 4X has improved the performance.

Black OPS has documented frame rate issues, but you should not be experiencing frame rate issues with SC2 on that system. Which power supply do you have? Which operating system? Also, can you monitor your CPU and GPU usage while gaming?

Lutfij

Titan
LOL...u mean ur QUAD CORE CPU is bottlenecking ur GFX card????LOLLOLLOL
I take it that your info is handed to you in a silver platter...when you see anyone walk into a hospital with a broken limb, don't laf at them. Offer your help, or just a seat.

Black OPS frame rate issue is evident. SC2 had issues with its frame rate as well...if most of you are also on blizzards SC2 forums; even they as well as Tom's mentioned the frame rate issue a few months back. Blizzard issued a fix/patch for this framerate issue that apparently ran the GPU so hard it caused people to RMA them. Its the games coding laguage that is the problem.

Though its far fetched - see if this helps

OP must have a x64 running

Found these links:
Diagnosing SC2 Lag and Low FPS Issues - Click here

Very low FPS with good video card

SC2 new computer build fps lag

If it is what should i do, having a AM3 mobo, i could get the Phenom II X6 1090T
Black Edition or i could wait for the Bulldozer range of cpu's. The next question is
will the buldozer range of cpus work in the AM3 mobo???
waiting is THE BEST option as the rig you have now will also cost cheaper. Your conifg checks out fine! I mentioned, its the games coding thas to blame.

Crysis(I) is another game, it was so badly written that even todays cards find it hard to keep going at higher settings. Yet people are still using it as a benchmark for buying cards and gaming on them. Todays games are efficiently written to use resources and get good framerates.

mother242

Distinguished
Oct 9, 2009

Power Supply: Amacrox Freestyle 550 watt (This may be the problem, I have made a thread on the subject)
Operating System: Windows 7 Home Premium x64
Yes: I have the G15 Gaming Keyboard, the CPU maxs out when loading black ops multiplayer maps and run at about 80-90% while i am playing Starcraft 2. Unfotunatly the keyboard screen doesnt show the GPU usage, i might hook up another screen and try and moniter the GPU usage for there.

mother242

Distinguished
Oct 9, 2009

yeah my computer run crysis 1 fine at max settings, only a few stutters, but could the CPU be bottlenecking the graphics card, i know that it seems odd. but i figured that the 5850 is very powerful and the 965 might just not be able to keep up. Also i am planning to upgrade to CF 5850's with those i think i would need to upgrade to the 1090T or a BD. But WOULD IT WORK IN THE AM3 MoBo??????????

Lutfij

Titan
Also i am planning to upgrade to CF 5850's with those i think i would need to upgrade to the 1090T or a BD. But WOULD IT WORK IN THE AM3 MoBo??????????
crossfiring - ok no problem doing it.

AM3 board?
The links I've posted show that your rig is way above the minimum requirements for playing the game. Its the way the game has been programmed thas the issue...haven't you been reading the links properly?

You can run crossfire, do a mild OC and not run into a bottleneck.

even notsoneebsPCguy has a rig lower than yours...he still runs fine.

yeah my computer run crysis 1 fine at max settings
Crysis, a game with such horrible programming by developers, works fine on your rig and your worried about SC2 stuttering?

Synopsis:
1| Change nothing in your sepc's all cos of one game.
2| AMD's Bulldozer will be out soon and the price of the x6's will drop,making your investment a vain effort.Thus getting a new mobo-cpu combo is not needed now.

Lutfij

Titan
Oh, that's the other story...AMD have the new title of "KING OF BUGGED drivers" 2nd to nvidia.

what driver versions are you using?

FYI - i neglected this:
CPU: AMD Phenom II x4 965
MoBo: Gigabyte GA- MA790XT-UD4P
Fx Card: HIS ATI Radeon HD5850 1GB
4GB G.Skill Ripjaws DDR3 RAM
500GB 7200.11 Seagate Barrcuda

your running a barracuda 7200.11 - I've read up on the disk being the WEAKEST link in a performance /gaming PC cos it had firmware issues. try and get a HDD from a pal and try run SC2....

Power Supply: Amacrox Freestyle 550 watt (This may be the problem, I have made a thread on the subject)
the PSU is more than enough for the rig, but how old is it? capacitor aging and its quality affect are known to affect power output to components.