Light blue screen after loading. Help!

kirtikem50

Distinguished
Sep 5, 2010
Sometimes from a cold boot after the greeting the screen just goes a solid light blue colour with no cursor. The computer does not respond to pressing ctrl-alt-del and reset. Only if I turn off the power. In serious games, and stress tests, no problems. Videocard is GTX 470. Please help how to fix it?

Sounds like something in Windows isn't loading properly when the system boots up. The light blue screen tends to be the default "background" color for the desktop in Windows.

You might try looking at your System Start-up programs and disabling anything that doesn't absolutely need to load with Windows. There could be a program that's hanging as the system boots and keeping the system from booting up all the way.

Also, have you OverClocked any components? Processor, video card, etc? Doing so can sometimes cause issues like this.

kirtikem50

Distinguished
Sep 5, 2010
No overclocked. Hm default "background" color for the desktop in Windows? May be problem in windows? System is clean only nvidia drivers.

More than likely Windows is beginning to load up the desktop, and freezes before the GUI is loaded. So it could be a problem with the Windows install itself, or some other program that's loading during that process.

If this is a true "Clean" install of Windows and all you've installed are the nVidia drivers, I'd suggest formatting the hard disk and reinstalling to see if that fixes the problem. If it doesn't fix the problem, you may have a hardware related problem that's causing freezes during boot-up sometimes. This could be a CPU or RAM issue potentially. Video card problems usually manifest themselves in more visual errors.

What version of Windows is this? XP, Windows 7? Vista?

kirtikem50

Distinguished
Sep 5, 2010

Windows 7 32, may be nvidia drivers ? I disabled the nvidia service from startup..

Disabling the nVidia drivers probably won't help. Windows will then try to reinstall drivers for the video card on your next restart, and will more than likely find and reinstall the nVidia drivers. The only way to completely remove them is to uninstall them and use a program like Driver Sweeper to erase them entirely.

However, I would still hesitate to think the nVidia drivers are your actual problem. The current drivers have been out for quite a while and I don't think this is a typical problem.

Again, if all that you've installed is Windows + nVidia + a game, and you're having this problem it's probably one of two things:

1) Bad Windows install
2) Hardware Problem

If you don't have a bunch of stuff to backup, I'd reinstall windows from scratch all over again. If the problem persists, you likely have a hardware problem somewhere. In your instance, where it only manifests itself during Windows Boot-Up and nowhere else, it may be hard to determine what piece of hardware is having a problem.

Try reinstalling Windows first and see if that fixes your issue.