Merging C and D-drives in Win7 without deleting the data?

Elk248

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2010
Hi. Is it possible to merge C and D drives without deleting the data or having to format them. If it's possible, then how to do this in Windows 7? Notice both drives are almost full of data (not many games or programs).

szaboaz

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2011
It's not possible.

I'm assuming partition C is your system partition, and D is data partition. You'll need another (possibly external usb) hard disk drive to copy all your files from partition D. Furthermore, it's recommended to make a backup of partition C also, because manipulating partitions counts as risky, and a little precaution can prevent hours of painful recovery process.

When that's done, you can use the Disk Management tool to delete partition D, and extend partition C to the free space gained.

Here's how to open Disk Management tool:
http://pcsupport.about.com/od/windows7/ht/disk-management-windows-7.htm

After that you can copy your files from partition D back.

Elk248

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2010
Ok thank you. So I can keep all the files on C while I do this and just temporarily take D's files out, then extend C while C's files are still on C and put D's files to the bigger C afterwards?

That's it, backup 'D', delete 'D', expand 'C' into the unallocated space, restore 'D' data to 'C'
Personally i use Easeus Partition Manager as i find it easier to use and have never had a failure
http://download.cnet.com/EaseUS-Partition-Master-Home-Edition/3000-2248_4-10863346.html

Elk248

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2010
If I merge the partitions by using Windows Disk Management tool, how do I exactly do it? Do I delete D like in this screenshot? If so, what do I do after I've deleted D to make C bigger?

Right click "View Image" to see the pic bigger.

Not familiar with Disk Management, always used Easeus, but 'Delete Volume' should remove 'D' and then when you select 'C' it should include 'Extend Volume' which will give you the opportunity to increase 'C' into the now unallocated space left by deleting 'D'.