Apple Censorship: This Time It's Displays

tkessler45

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2007

This is yet again another ridiculous crack at apple by folks at Tom's Hardware who're pretending to lead some movement against a problem with some of Apple's products, and are going about their efforts in the wrong way. The thread that was mentioned was not in any way a focal point for discussion about the problematic hardware. Instead as any logical person can see, it was yet another rant on the Apple support forums that had a mere 5 replies to it. Those forums are not for such rants, and are not a way to get in contact with the company. For that there's Apple Support/Applecare, and the feedback section of the Apple website. The forums are populated with normal folks who're volunteering their time to help others troubleshoot problems, and are very infrequently visited by anybody significant from Apple. When anyone pops up and rants and raves, their posts are sooner or later get deleted. If you look at the discussion section for the iMac flat panel display (http://discussions.apple.com/forum.jspa?forumID=868) you'll see there are many threads discussing display issues, but folks are looking to solve answers and not just bitch at the company. If there are significant bugs with the hardware or software that folks post about then they are referred to the feedback page to submit bug reports to the Apple engineers.

mitchdbx

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2007

You are such a cry baby. Do you really think that no other companies have issues? Do you even own a Apple? I for one am tired of the negativity that your articles have created here on Tom's! This web site has always backed-up what they say, you seem to just rant!

Make a point backed with facts, not opinion.

tkessler45

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2007

Then the opinions of Tom's Hardware are lacking in both logic and fact, and all it does is reflect poorly on the site, especially when the opinions are one-sided and clearly outline someone whining and complaining. Until these inflammatory articles about Apple computer have come out from Tom's hardware, I used to enjoy the site and saw it as rather unbiased. As it is, I no longer have that view of the site and the credibility of it has diminished. I'm certain others share this viewpoint as well.

randomizer

Champion
I do not share your viewpoint. Every article about this topic (Leopard, bad screens etc) that I have read was by the same author. This is not the opinion of Toms Hardware, this is the viewpoint of Tony Celeste. Although none of it may be based on fact, I like a good bashing of high profile corporations, and their CEOs. I can't get enough of articles on Hector Ruiz, it's great.

TheCount

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2007
randomizer, these stories are appearing under the Tom's News section and there's nothing in them that identify them as an op/ed piece. If Tom's wants to be identified as a technology news outlet, and I'm pretty sure they do, then they need to identify that this string of biased stories bashing Apple are going to reflect on the whole site as a news source.

Fireblaze

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2007
Please stick to the facts and do not post more articles that are targeted at a specific company, if you want to make article or opionion about display problems or cencorship then include more then one company. Toms hardware is about professionalism and objectivity. What has Apple Censorship to do with "Home » Graphics & Displays » Displays »" this article if it should be posted shall be filled under editorials or opinions. Otherwise this is the official stand of Toms Hardware with one can conclude that Toms hardware does not like Apple Inc. and hence is biased in all its reports about displays, because censorship is not connected with the quality of the displays. (China manufactures lot of great products and have excessive censorship).

Fireblaze

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2007
The whole articles is just about Apple Support Forum nothing to do with displays, just how Apple runs there forum so why publish it under displays?

cliffton

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2007
"Leap ignorantly to the defense of wealthy game companies who don't know or care about you!" - Zero Punctuation

Apple isn't a game company, but you can edit the quote in your head.

Seriously though Fireblaze, what's in it for you? I find it very hard to take your type of post seriously. Either you are defending some gigantic corporation at no recompense to yourself although they don't know or care and it makes no difference (which I find slightly unhinged) or you work for Apple while trying to appear as though you don't (which I find slightly dishonest). I mean, either you're trying to deceive me, or you're deceiving yourself (by acting like you're doing any good). The only type of defense I can take seriously is made by the company, openly as such.

I hope more people start to think that way. Then we can see a simultaneous decline of both astroturfing and fruitbats who think some multinational needs their help. Hasten the day.

overlandpark4me

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2007
I love it when the Apple fan boys ( and employees) roll in here to bash people that criticize a product. There is a problem and Apple wont say anything about it. Jobs is an elitist and these idiots need to be held accountable. Apple is anti-competive and I'm sure they will be facing suits in the USA like the ones they are facing overseas. Look at the OS issues and the chip they run on their boards preventing competition. They're worse than Microsoft, which is hard to do.

Fireblaze

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2007

cliffton: Maybe you can answer my questions
1) What content of this article has to do with the Display Hardware excluding Support issues?

2) Everyone know that Apple sux, so why bother writing about them?

Fireblaze

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2007

I hate it when Apple manages to get headlines everytime they do anything, good or bad, they steal the show. So why on earth give them more columns? Just rank their products low in the reviews! That hurts Apple, articles like this help them!
All publisism is good publisism even if it hurts your company you still gain reconizability. Now all TomsHardware reader know Apple Inc (+1 to Apple) and that they make displays that people have bought (+1 to Apple) and some models are crap (-1 to Apple) = +1 in Apple favor. The writer of this articles is obviously very interessted in Apple Inc and its crappy displays.

righteous

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2006
I think regardless of the fact that there is a problem with something, the main emphasis on the part of any manufacturer should be acknowledgement of the issue. People aren't making this up, and there are a lot of people complaining about this.

Where is the CUSTOMER SERVICE?

From where I'm standing it looks like they are well-aware and are buying time so as to avoid a major loss in what it's going to cost to replace/refund on these defects.

The best thing to do IS INDEED to make it a public issue and a place for people to express their concerns so that if Apple refuses to acknowledge, a case can be built.

Any company selling something defective that refuses to acknowledge the defectiveness of a product is asking for legal action. If they don;t want legal action taken, they had better make it right.

That's about all there is to it.

I cannot understand how someone is a crybaby for calling out a product that is defective. They were screwed and should be angry.
They should also be compensated.

tkessler45

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2007

The problem here isnt what Apple "should" do. Rather, it's the intrusive, paparazzi-like approach of hounding and hassling the public volunteers involved on the Apple boards by the author. It's this approach that's the problem, which it drains the credibility from Tom's Hardware's reporting and puts into question the motives behind the series of seemingly one-sided articles about Apple computer. In it's essence, this article is a whiny description of how the author got dismissed for trolling a public forum. If Tom's Hardware wants to maintain credibility with their articles, they'll post the noted problem and describe the full extent of it, such as folks having good experiences along with those who've not had good experiences, and try to tackle the extent of the problem instead of being an irritant to folks who're volunteering their time to help troubleshoot problems. The author needs a lesson or two in how to properly conduct investigative journalism.

tkessler45

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2007

Being opposed to someone reporting their trolling attempts has nothing to do with one's preference for either platform. I use Windows PCs and Macintosh computers equally, and appreciate the benefits each has to offer over the other. I'd be equally as opposed to this article if it was focused towards another company besides Apple: Microsoft, Dell, Sony, Toshiba, etc. However, with PC-based companies Tom's Hardware has given good reviews of their products along with the bad, but has barely mentioned Apple until they've decided to bash the company in this rediculous manner. That's the problem here...biased reporting that's approached in a poor manner.

LVDAX

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2007
Apple is going to continue doing what they always do.
Cover up the issue and release something brand new to swallow up the negative publicity. All of the iSheep will continue to buy Apple because its the "in" thing to do.

mdalli

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2006
The larger point is this: there's beauty in the competitive free market. I can't even imagine being limited to only one monitor manufacturer, which is essentially the situation with Apple.

This is, was and will continue to be Apple's Achilles' Heel. Without the mass market, they will always be (at best) a niche, fanboy product with comparatively stunted performance.

totenkopf

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2007
This is great! Why are people rushing to the defense of Macintrash? And why are people bashing Tom's all of the sudden?!

The article was not one sided, offensive OR unfair; though, you might think it is if you love crapintosh. All it said was that some apple displays were defective according to some customers (who are always right). It also said that Apple has done nothing to resolve this problem let alone even acknowledging it's existence. They are simply ignoring the defect and their precious iTards... HOW DO THEY NOT DESERVE CRITICISM?! One sided... this isn't a "graphics card round-up", it's an article/editorial about a defective product (allegedly); there is no winner, just a loser. Unfair is what is happening to the [expletive deleted] idiots who bought iMacs, Apple brought this upon themselves by not cleaning up the mess they made.

And how exactly does this hurt Tom's tech credibility?!?! Is this author the only contributer on Tom's hardware? I think (opinion) he only wrote the follow-up article because Apple still had not addressed the concerns of its high paying customers. Any entity that delivers a bad/defective product to consumers, fails to recognize any wrongdoing and even tries to rob the situation of any legitimacy by censoring forums and ignoring customers deserves the worst. This is truly despicable of Apple. This is exactly why we have things like implied warranty of merchantability and fair use. How does Apple not lose some credibility here?

Between this and bricking peoples iPhones Apple has really shown me that they care about their money more than their customers. I laugh every time someone buys a Mac... for what they cost they are completely inferior, but wait... the OS is so easy to use! How about instead of buying a computer that takes the control out of your hands you just learn how to use one properly, that way I won't have to keep showing mac users how to insert pictures in forum posts and what not. And don't get me started on Apple and there DRM junk. all of their products are designed to make you use a certain program and do things a certain way, a.k.a. defective by design.

ioniancat21

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2008
Getting back, the original issue was whether the Apple monitor had issues or not. The role of Tom's Hardware is to evaluate through discussion or other, if this statement is true. THG can also voice opinions as well as fact though I believe THG should differentiate between them.

In THG's defense the article mearly stated what the others were talking about. I didn't see THG criticizing Apple so I feel Tom's is not to blame for this. Let's get back to the reason why we're here and review those Apple Displays!!!!! Better to fix the problem rather than contemplate who f**ked up!!!!