IPCONFIG error message

keith

Hello all,

I have a user who cannot obtain an interent connection through their
ethernet adapter and when they run ipconfig receives the following error
message.

An internal error occured: The system cannot find the file specified.

When looking at the interface in the device manager there are no conflicts
reported and the device is seen as working properly.
The link lights will blink when an ethernet cable is plugged into the port.
Different cables have been tried.
Different ports on the users home dsl router have been tried.
The user has another desktop on the dsl router that works without any issues.
When pinging 127.0.0.1 there is no loss and all tcp/ip packets are returned.
When attempting to statically configure an ip address the properties sheet
hangs and there is no change.
The DSL router is performing dhcp and appears to have no issues. This is
also confirmed by the fact that the desktop connected to the dsl router is
functioning without issue.
When running xp's system restore tool the computer appears to hang and only
gives a blue screen from the desktop.

Any suggestions as to what the error message means and how can I resolve it?

Keith

Locate and run "winsockxpfix.exe". You seem to have a corrupt TCP/IP
protocol stack and this utility allows you to retrun it to XP defaults (even
without an XP CD).

Get it here http://www.pcbutts1.com/downloads/WinsockxpFix.zip