To save me watching the screen !

thanks

zjustice wrote:

> To save me watching the screen !
>
> thanks

Right click My Computer, Manage, Event Viewer, Application, Winlogon entry.

Steve

Pipe the screen output to a text file

CHKDSK C: /V > C:\Checkdisklog.txt

Win 95/98/Me/XP Tweaks and Fixes
http://www.dougknox.com
--------------------------------
--------------------------------
Unsolicited e-mail is not answered.

"zjustice" <zeroREMOVEnews2@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:spedncIHS5_6w4reRVnytg@pipex.net...
> To save me watching the screen !
>
> thanks

Open the Event Viewer...
Start | Run | Type: eventvwr | OK
Look in Application | Listed as Information |
Event ID: 1001
Source: Winlogon
volume name or serial number to help determine what volume Chkdsk ran
against. Also included is whether Chkdsk ran because a user scheduled it or
because the dirty bit was set.]]

[[When Autochk runs against a volume at boot time it records its output to a
file called Bootex.log in the root of the volume being checked. The Winlogon
service then moves the contents of each Bootex.log file to the Application
Event log.]]

[[This file states whether Chkdsk encountered any errors and, if so,
whether they were fixed.]]

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:spedncIHS5_6w4reRVnytg@pipex.net,
zjustice <zeroREMOVEnews2@hotmail.com> hunted and pecked:
> To save me watching the screen !
>
> thanks

Yes. Open Start, Run, type (without quotes) 'eventvwr.msc' and click OK. Select the Application report and examine all the events with the 'Winlogon' source.

--
Greetings,
Daniel Martín

"zjustice" <zeroREMOVEnews2@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:spedncIHS5_6w4reRVnytg@pipex.net...
> To save me watching the screen !
>
> thanks

Thanks everyone

does this look ok :-

A disk check has been scheduled.
Windows will now check the disk.
Cleaning up 2 unused index entries from index $SII of file 0x9.
Cleaning up 2 unused index entries from index $SDH of file 0x9.
Cleaning up 2 unused security descriptors.

"Steve N." <Steve_N@nunya.biz.nes> wrote in message
> zjustice wrote:
>
>> To save me watching the screen !
>>
>> thanks
>>

> Right click My Computer, Manage, Event Viewer, Application, Winlogon
> entry.
>
> Steve

also , is there a good link for this sort of thing - CHKDSK ?

thanks

> Thanks everyone
>
> does this look ok :-
>
> A disk check has been scheduled.
> Windows will now check the disk.
> Cleaning up 2 unused index entries from index $SII of file 0x9.
> Cleaning up 2 unused index entries from index $SDH of file 0x9.
> Cleaning up 2 unused security descriptors.
>

> "Steve N." <Steve_N@nunya.biz.nes> wrote in message
>> zjustice wrote:
>>
>>> To save me watching the screen !
>>>
>>> thanks
>>>

>> Right click My Computer, Manage, Event Viewer, Application, Winlogon
>> entry.
>>
>> Steve

Type: chkdsk in the Search box in Help and Support and click the arrow.

You'll see items like these...
http://search.microsoft.com/search/results.aspx?st=b&View=en-us&s=6&c=0&qu=Chkdsk

English Knowledge Base (KB) You Searched: Windows XP For: chkdsk
http://support.microsoft.com/search/default.aspx?spid=1173&query=chkdsk&catalog=LCID%3D1033&pwt=false&title=false&kt=ALL&mdt=0&comm=1&ast=1&ast=2&ast=3&mode=a&x=11&y=4

English Knowledge Base (KB) You Searched: All Products For: chkdsk
http://support.microsoft.com/search/default.aspx?catalog=LCID%3D1033&mode=s&cat=false&query=chkdsk&srch=sup&x=8&y=14

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:GOKdnaOCI-mFCIreRVnyvg@pipex.net,
zjustice <zeroREMOVEnews2@hotmail.com> hunted and pecked:
> also , is there a good link for this sort of thing - CHKDSK ?
>
> thanks
>

> "zjustice" <zeroREMOVEnews2@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>
>> Thanks everyone
>>
>> does this look ok :-
>>
>> A disk check has been scheduled.
>> Windows will now check the disk.
>> Cleaning up 2 unused index entries from index $SII of file 0x9.
>> Cleaning up 2 unused index entries from index $SDH of file 0x9.
>> Cleaning up 2 unused security descriptors.
>>

>> "Steve N." <Steve_N@nunya.biz.nes> wrote in message

>>> Right click My Computer, Manage, Event Viewer, Application, Winlogon
>>> entry.
>>>
>>> Steve

Wes

Say a full chkdsk finds errors not just those "removing unused" ines
but corrects everything
then you re-chkdsk and it shows no errors

does that mean your data has been fully corrected - using NTFS XP SP2 by the
way

i.e. a clear run and your in the clear ?

what an advance NTFS is !

thanks

> Open the Event Viewer...
> Start | Run | Type: eventvwr | OK
> Look in Application | Listed as Information |
> Event ID: 1001
> Source: Winlogon
> volume name or serial number to help determine what volume Chkdsk ran
> against. Also included is whether Chkdsk ran because a user scheduled it
> or
> because the dirty bit was set.]]
>
> [[When Autochk runs against a volume at boot time it records its output to
> file called Bootex.log in the root of the volume being checked. The
> Winlogon
> service then moves the contents of each Bootex.log file to the Application
> Event log.]]
>
> [[This file states whether Chkdsk encountered any errors and, if so,
> whether they were fixed.]]
>
> --
> Hope this helps. Let us know.
>
> Wes
> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
>
> In news:spedncIHS5_6w4reRVnytg@pipex.net,
> zjustice <zeroREMOVEnews2@hotmail.com> hunted and pecked:
>> To save me watching the screen !
>>
>> thanks

As far as I know, after running chkdsk with the R switch you can get *.chk
files. These are supposed to be readable, by what I don't know. I just
delete them.

More info...
Open a command prompt and type:

chkdsk /?

Hit the Enter key.

More info...

In news:LdednclHmKsACIreRVnytg@pipex.net,

zjustice wrote:
> Thanks everyone
>
> does this look ok :-
>
> A disk check has been scheduled.
> Windows will now check the disk.
> Cleaning up 2 unused index entries from index $SII of file 0x9.
> Cleaning up 2 unused index entries from index $SDH of file 0x9.
> Cleaning up 2 unused security descriptors.

Yep.

Steve