Jetter2

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2001
I have noticed that I love ther visual settings that Windows 98SE has. I hate how XP's menu is, seems that everything is Fisher Price version of Win2k. But, it has the compatibility that I need for the Microsoft Intellimouse Optical. So my question is:
For a gamer toting a Athlon XP1700+,512MB DDR RAM, 7200RPM ATA 133 Maxtor HDD,SB PCI 512 sound card, Nvidia GeForce 3 Ti500 64MB DDR Video card, all on a Soyo KT333 Dragon Lite motherboard, Windows 2k or Windows XP? I like the familiar and easy use of the windows 98 and 2k, versus the "user friendly" Windows XP. I think the onyl reason Microsoft made WinXP is so that clones such as Dell and Compaq could distrubute a very user friendly version of windows for the computer illeterate. I hate how the Start menu is, and the control panel. But does Windows XP offer any real towering advantages over Win2k? I am leaning towards Win2k because I understand that it also has the 5 button optical mouse compatibility that XP conatins. Any input?

I found out my dad's free advice was worth half what I paid for it. -Justin

dhlucke

Polypheme
You and your mouse. You crack me up :)

You can actually make XP look like 2K/98. I don't really have any experience with 2K, but XP is really nice. Unless you're getting 2K for free, I would definitely get XP.

<font color=red>
<A HREF="http://www.journals.uchicago.edu/ApJ/" target="_new">Forum Assassin</A></font color=red>

blah

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
There are things that are called "Drivers" which will help your w2k out.

..this is very useful and helpful place for information...

ciuly

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2003
Just right click on "start" bar, select "properties" and click on "Classic start Menu" and the menu is like in 98. U can change other things also to make xp look just like 98.
Personnaly, after having alot of problems with 98, I feel better seeing another menu :)

goloap

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2001
I was reluctant to switch to XP for the same reason(too user friendly), but there are ways of disabling all the "You are too stupid to do it your self, so I will remove options for you" features in XP. It took me about an hour to search and remove all automatic processes that are enabled by default and setup my desktop the way I liked it (i.e the classic look).

In ancient times they had no statistics so they had to fall back on lies

jiffy

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2001
Hmm, I have a Logitech mouse, and in Win98 the side button works, but in WinXP I have to load the software. Anyway, sometimes WinXP can be a handful, but I still choice it over Win2k, I think it does better for games.

<A HREF="http://forums.btvillarin.com/" target="_new">When you don’t have a snickers bar for the wait.</A>