Won't start, repair or restore.

reecemiddleton

Honorable
Feb 11, 2013
I've had prolonged problems with my computer; blue screen crashes around 5-10 times a day, everyday for past 2 years. Anyway my problem today is that finally it will not start up.

I get the start repair (recommend) or start windows normally. The latter of the two just fails and restart the computer. When clicking repair it say it cannot repair automatically leaving with these problem details:

Rroblem Signatgure:
Problem Event Name: StartupRepairOffline
Problem Signature 01: 6.1.7600.16385
Problem Signature 02: 6.1.7600.16385
Problem Signature 03: unknown
Problem Signature 04: 21200931
Problem Signature 05: AutoFailover
Problem Signature 06: 15
Problem Signature 07: 0xa

When I try to system restore it also fails and say this:

System Restore failed while deleting the following file/directory Path:D:\windows\system32\codeintegrity

unknown error (0x8007010b)

I have also gone into advanced boot settings and tried safe mode which also failed and restarted the computer the same goes with trying last good configuration which also does the same.

I have also tried repair disc and back up disc I have but I don't if it some I'm doing wrong but they are not loading.

Please any help will be greatly appreciated.

yette-man

Honorable
Dec 10, 2012
It sounds like your hard drive might be going bad(I'm assuming it is mechanical not a solid state). You can try to download a free bootable hard drive test to see for sure. I recommend downloading Hiren's boot cd. It comes with a program called MHDD that will diagnose and attempt to fix any bad sectors on your drive. If you do this and it works you will still need to replace the drive.There are programs on the boot cd that let you copy existing drives. I recommend COPYR.DMA for a disk with bad sectors.

RealBeast

Titan
I would escalate to the next step and do a REPAIR INSTALL using that linked guide. If you do not have a Windows 7 SP1 installer disk you will need to download a trial version that is the same as your Windows version from DIGITAL RIVER. Then boot from the installer disk and follow the repair install instructions carefully. It will fix all your drivers and the entire windows install, but will keep your data and programs intact.

I would recommend backing up important data anyway just in case there is a problem.

I have rarely had a Windows 7 machine BSOD out of hundreds of builds, but they were all incompatible driver issues or memory problems. You may want to run MEMTEST86 a freeware image that you can burn to a CD and boot from to test your memory.

Testing your HDD as mentioned above is also a good idea, but hard to believe that it was the cause of 2 years of BSODs and never died, although it could be dying now, who knows for sure.

reecemiddleton

Honorable
Feb 11, 2013

Yeah it about 5-ish year old, everything was/is going. Most of the BSOD errors were IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL and PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA with sometimes it saying video graphic drives had failed or BAD_POOL_CALLER.

So you think if I replace the hard drive I might be able to get a bit longer out of it? because I was looking to get a new pc by the end of the year/start of next year.

reecemiddleton

Honorable
Feb 11, 2013

So if I put the disc in it should just load? because I've put windows 7 disc in as well as back ups and it hasn't loaded. I guessing I probably doing something wrong.

RealBeast

Titan
Yes, as mmaatt said, insure that the boot order starts with the DVD drive.

One problem that you may have had is that you cannot do a repair install on a system that has been upgraded to SP1 with the Windows Update unless you either uninstall SP1 or get an installer disk that is SP1, because you cannot repair install from an older version.

reecemiddleton

Honorable
Feb 11, 2013

Nope. On BIOS Advance Setup it has:

1st Boot Device: WDC WD5000AAKS-00V1A0
2nd Boot Device: TssTcorp CDDVDDW TS-H653N
3rd Boot Device: 1st FLOPPY DRIVE

is this what I'm looking for?

because when I was trying to boot the disc I was on boot option window that let me select which device to boot but that didn't do anything.

mmaatt747

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2011

You mean it wouldn't let you choose the disk drive? Go into BIOS first and change the boot order and save and reboot. So make the boot order:

1st Boot Device: TssTcorp CDDVDDW TS-H653N
2nd Boot Device: 1st FLOPPY DRIVE
3rd Boot Device: WDC WD5000AAKS-00V1A0

reecemiddleton

Honorable
Feb 11, 2013

I have the Windows 7 install disk, my father set it up and created a disk copy that a repair disk and backup disk what do you mean by SP1 (sorry I'm not 100% with all this stuff, not like I know nothing about computers but nothing major).

reecemiddleton

Honorable
Feb 11, 2013

Okay I've done that, saved it. Press any key to load CD or DVD. Windows then loading the files. Then opens system recovery options (language, keyboard output). It search for files but the only thing that comes up is windows 7 on my Local Disk, There option to load a system image or to load drivers. The load drives allows me to access the files on the disk.

mmaatt747

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2011

Yep, install it. I've had Windows installations that were not repairable and that sounds like the same issue for you. Just keep in mind that you may very well lose your existing files (photos, movies, documents, etc). You may still be able to access these after the new install but no guarantee. So if you don't care, go ahead with the install. If you do care you may want to use a different computer to pull those files off of that hard drive first.

Good luck!

reecemiddleton

Honorable
Feb 11, 2013

There a option to repair my computer but all it does it bring me back to "search for files but the only thing that comes up is windows 7 on my Local Disk, There option to load a system image or to load drivers. The load drives allows me to access the files on the disk."

guess ill try the install

RealBeast

Titan
If you read the link that I made for a repair installation, under here's how to starting at around step 9, you can do a reinstall that does not wipe out all of your programs and files. Your choice, but you need to do more than just take suggestions from here and wing it, you need to read and understand what you are doing before you do it.

reecemiddleton

Honorable
Feb 11, 2013

sorry, i didn't think i could use it cause i can't log in. also it told me to take the disc out, restart windows put the disk in again once it started but i cant cause obviously i have to boot the disc at start before it loaded. so im just bit confused.

RealBeast

Titan
You must set the DVD as the primary boot drive, followed by the HDD and other stuff to fix it from a disk. You don't need to put the disk in while Windows is running, it won't do any good -- you need to shutdown (or restart) with the installer disk in so that you can boot from it. But read the repair install steps (and print them out) so that you are ready for each step to make it go smoothly.

reecemiddleton

Honorable
Feb 11, 2013

Yeah I know, i'm sorry I didn't explain as well as should. I've done all that i clicked install, clicked upgrade windows like the guide said when through it and got to the compatibility report where it tells me on the compatibility report to take the disc out, restart windows put the disk in again once it started and restart the install and it should install this time but I've done what it saying and it dose nothing just tells me to do the same again.

RealBeast

Titan
Odd, I've done a bunch of these repairs and never had a compatibility issue or taken out the disk. And you are 100% sure that other than being SP1 the image you downloaded was the exact version on the machine including x86 or x64?

What is the compatibility report telling you is an issue?

reecemiddleton

Honorable
Feb 11, 2013

Doesn't say anything else. Think I went completely wrong. I've been trying the windows 7 install disk I have.

If your disk is failing it could cause installation problems, and that would gel with the past BSODs. Is there a Disk test in your BIOS? Or download something like Seatools for DOS which could be burnt to a disk and booted from to check the HDD. Also there's Hiren's Boot Disk with a whole array of diagnostics
http://www.hirensbootcd.org/download/

RealBeast

Titan
Ooops, as I said, you cannot do a repair install on a system updated to SP1 with the original pre-SP1 disk.

You have two choices, uninstall SP1 prior to repair install or much easier, download the SP1 trial image and use that to do the repair install from the link in my first post. Of course, either way you use your activation key when it's all good.

reecemiddleton

Honorable
Feb 11, 2013

So I just burn the ISO to the disk?