USB ports on 1901FP stopped working

steve

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2003

I've got a 1901FP monitor (and a Latitude x300). The USB ports on the
monitor stopped working (scanner, thumbdrive)...all of a sudden. I
don't know what exactly caused it or when it happened because they are
all more secondary type of USB devices.

I reconnected the devices. I reconnected the monitor. I turned off the
monitor. I rebooted (these are all the options Dell offers).

Anyone had this problem - if so, how did you resolve it?

Thanks!

raptor

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2004

Check your "Device Manager".

<steve@portigal.com> wrote in message
> I've got a 1901FP monitor (and a Latitude x300). The USB ports on the
> monitor stopped working (scanner, thumbdrive)...all of a sudden. I
> don't know what exactly caused it or when it happened because they are
> all more secondary type of USB devices.
>
> I reconnected the devices. I reconnected the monitor. I turned off the
> monitor. I rebooted (these are all the options Dell offers).
>
> Anyone had this problem - if so, how did you resolve it?
>
> Thanks!

nick

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

On 29 Jul 2005 14:21:07 -0700, in alt.sys.pc-clone.dell, steve@portigal.com
wrote:

>I've got a 1901FP monitor (and a Latitude x300). The USB ports on the
>monitor stopped working (scanner, thumbdrive)...all of a sudden. I
>don't know what exactly caused it or when it happened because they are
>all more secondary type of USB devices.
>
>I reconnected the devices. I reconnected the monitor. I turned off the
>monitor. I rebooted (these are all the options Dell offers).
>
>Anyone had this problem - if so, how did you resolve it?

Have you tried using a different cable between the monitor and the computer,
or plugging the cable into a different jack on the computer?

Or connecting just one device at a time, in case on of the devices is FUBAR
and causing the problem?

Not sure what you may have tried so far, just tossing out a few generic
troubleshooting ideas.

--
Nick <mailto:tanstaafl@pobox.com>

"FUBAR"?
"Nick" <tanstaafl@pobox.com> wrote in message

> On 29 Jul 2005 14:21:07 -0700, in alt.sys.pc-clone.dell,
steve@portigal.com
> wrote:
>
> >I've got a 1901FP monitor (and a Latitude x300). The USB ports on the
> >monitor stopped working (scanner, thumbdrive)...all of a sudden. I
> >don't know what exactly caused it or when it happened because they are
> >all more secondary type of USB devices.
> >
> >I reconnected the devices. I reconnected the monitor. I turned off the
> >monitor. I rebooted (these are all the options Dell offers).
> >
> >Anyone had this problem - if so, how did you resolve it?
>
> Have you tried using a different cable between the monitor and the
computer,
> or plugging the cable into a different jack on the computer?
>
> Or connecting just one device at a time, in case on of the devices is
FUBAR
> and causing the problem?
>
> Not sure what you may have tried so far, just tossing out a few generic
> troubleshooting ideas.
>
> --
> Nick <mailto:tanstaafl@pobox.com>

steve

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2003

Different cable is interesting - I'd have to buy one.

Only have one monitor-out on the computer though (who has more than
one?)

steve

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2003

I'm looking at Device Manager - there's no alerts that something is
wrong.

It's hard to know which, if any, of the USB items listed (which range
from Generic USB Hub, to Intel(R) 8280 1DB/DBM USB Universal Host
Controller to USB Mass Storage Device to USB Root Hub) refer to the
monitor's ports specifically.

So not sure what information I'm getting there or what to do with it...

The ports in the monitor won't show up in device manager,
just
the "Host Controller" or something similar..
As someone else suggested, you need to try a different USB
cable from
the monitor to the computer. Also try a different USB port.

> I'm looking at Device Manager - there's no alerts that
> something is
> wrong.
>
> It's hard to know which, if any, of the USB items listed
> (which range
> from Generic USB Hub, to Intel(R) 8280 1DB/DBM USB
> Universal Host
> Controller to USB Mass Storage Device to USB Root Hub)
> refer to the
> monitor's ports specifically.
>
> So not sure what information I'm getting there or what to
> do with it...

nick

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

On 30 Jul 2005 13:34:34 -0700, in alt.sys.pc-clone.dell, steve@portigal.com
wrote:

>Different cable is interesting - I'd have to buy one.
>
>Only have one monitor-out on the computer though (who has more than
>one?)

Don't you have a separate cable for the USB from the computer to the
monitor? Should be connected from one of the USB jacks on your computer to
a squarish USB connector on your monitor.

That's the one I meant to try another plugging into a different connector on
the computer, not the video cable. And you might check your other USB
devices and see if any of them have a cable you can borrow temporarily for
the computer to monitor USB connection.

--

steve@portigal.com wrote:

> FUBAR = "fouled up beyond all relief"

Or "... beyond all repair" in the version I've heard (perhaps a US
version?).

The "F" stands for what "F" generally stands for, especially if you
consider the origin was the military.

STUBBY

Distinguished
May 24, 2004

Sparky Spartacus wrote:
> steve@portigal.com wrote:
>
>> FUBAR = "fouled up beyond all relief"
>

> Or "... beyond all repair" in the version I've heard (perhaps a US
> version?).
>
> The "F" stands for what "F" generally stands for, especially if you
> consider the origin was the military.

I've heard both as "f---ed up beyond repair" or as "f---ed up beyond
recognition."

--
Annoy a conservative -- Think for yourself.

nick

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

On Mon, 1 Aug 2005 17:28:04 -0500, in alt.sys.pc-clone.dell, "S.Lewis"
<stew1960@mail.com> wrote:

>I'm trying to recollect - don't the LCD's with USB port have some sort of
>actual software CD associated with the monitor and ports, or do I recall
>incorrectly?
>
>(As opposed to many standard monitors which don't really require software
>drivers.....)

As far as I know, my 2001FP doesn't use an special USB drivers; I certainly
never installed any. I already had the 2001FP, and I bought this computer
with no monitor, so I don't think Dell would have done any mind reading and
installed the drivers for me. :)

When I hooked up the monitor USB to the computer, I got the standard message
about finding new hardware (USB hub? Don't remember now..) and that was it:
plugged things into the monitor USB jacks and everything worked fine. That
was with WinXP SP2; no idea if older Windows versions would need drivers.

--
Nick <mailto:tanstaafl@pobox.com>

May you live in interesting times...

steve

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2003

All this info helped, thanks.

I moved the monitor into another room for a meeting, and when I moved
it back, I neglected to connect the USB cable to the PC, I had actually
taken it away, forgetting that it was a special function cable. I
somehow had decided that the USB signal was going through the monitor
cable - as if by magic - and was really confused by the references
above to the USB cable - thinking "there's no cable" - but I pulled out
the manual and of course there IS and of course I had it and plugging
it in fixed the problem.

Thanks for the help - it was an easy fix, but tough for my brain!