How do you disable caching and shadowing?

endless_n00b

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2001
XP 1800+
MSI 745 Ultra (bios v1.5)
256 Mushkin PC2700
WD 800JB (80 gig w/ 8meg cache)
Liteon 40x12x48 CDRW
Radeon 8500
Chieftec full tower w/ 420W PSU

I keep getting errors when trying to install XP Pro. I have read through the forums and found a few things that should help with the errors, but one thing I am still unsure about (mobo related). The error message, and according to msft's website says try turning off caching and shadowing.

1. I went into the BIOS and couldn't find shadowing, where is it?
2. I did turn off Internal Cache. This seemed to work, but at a snail's pace, and the installation took (no kidding) close to SIX HOURS before I got an error anyway! Ugghhhh... it was brutal. No reason code given either. The only reason I let it run so long was it seemed to be working, albeit slowly, and I did other stuff meanwhile anyway.
I got MUCH further into the installation though, than I did before, so turning off the internal cache seemed to help somewhat, but is there a way to speed this up? Did I turn off the "wrong" cache?

thanks =)

-
Cheap memory: $26
Unstable OS: $95
Your boss getting the BSOD late on a Friday: Priceless<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by endless_n00b on 08/19/02 07:16 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

endless_n00b

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2001
also, is this normal (having to disable cache) or could this be a problem with my mobo?

-
Your boss getting the BSOD late on a Friday: Priceless

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
oh god. never turn of the cpu's L1 or L2 cache. that just kills performance dead.

the problem almost allways lies OUTSIDE the cpu.
shadowing by the way is usually found in the AGP/video section of the bios.

now obviously there is something wrong with your system. i suggest u do some of the following.

1. your psu is a decent brand and size, so it should be ok.
2. try running your ram at 133mhz, not 166mhz, or at least change the mem timings to be conservative as possible (cas2.5,3,3,6 etc)
if you think the ram is misbehaving, run MEMTEST86 for 30mins.
3. motherboard issues. have you tried running your CPU with the fsb set to 100. obviously you loose 33% performance, but it can be useful for problem solving (and getting windows up and running)
4. just for fun, try reseating all the cards and cables. poor contacts can cauze wierd grief.
5. video options, shadowing off, agp apature to 128mb, fast write disabled, sideband addressing off.
6. if none of the above seem to work, you can try booting up with the bare minimum installed. just the cpu, ram, video, cdrom and hdd.
7. could also try swapping IDE cables. the 80wire ata66/100/133 cables are known to be fragile on occasion.

<b>try to rule out as many things as possible.</b>

<b>MegaHertz Matters! ... But not without Cache our a decent chipset!!! :cool: </b>

mhartzell

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2002
the problem is your startup file was damaged it used to happen to me. run disk repair from windows sp setup itll say pressr to repair disk then it will give you a commmand prompt. type chkdsk/r itll fix the prob and youll boot fine after resting the pc

endless_n00b

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2001
thanks I'm gonna try that MEMTEST86 prog. It says its for Intel x86s but I asssume it works with AMD too?

"oh god. never turn of the cpu's L1 or L2 cache. that just kills performance dead."

lol don't I know it. But does this give us a clue what the problem is? With internal cache on, I would get an error 5 minutes into setup (at about 71%), usually didn't even make it into installation, but with it off it got through set up copying files, and then got well into the installation. You know how it says 39 minutes to complete? I got to minute 17 before crashing. Next I tried turning internal cache back on, since set up was done, but it crashes at about minute 35-37.

Any idea why I was able to get so much further with internal cache off? Can this help narrow down the problem?

-

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
yep. memtest runs fine with AMD systems.
ive run it on everything from lowly durons to XP's. works for any x86 class cpu and mem system.

my guess is that when the cache is off, your system crawls, thus it takes longer to get to the point where it crashes.
which kinda suggests to me that there is a specific problem at a specific point... rather than generalised/random corruption.

<b>MegaHertz Matters! ... But not without Cache our a decent chipset!!! :cool: </b>

SidVicious

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2002
I'm sure i'm wrong on this one but i'll give it a try anyway. You said you disabled your CPU L1 & L2 cache and it made your system more stable, that rang a bell, I remember reading about overclockers disabling CPU cache in order to get a system stable enough to run WCPUID. I know you're not overclocking but it seems strange to me that disabling CPU cache reward you with improved stability. Maybe you are having a stability issue caused by a lack of thermal dissipation. Just in case i'M right, can you check your CPU vcore and temps, it would be appreciated if you could tell us what cooling system you are using and what thermal interface ( if any ) is used.

I hope you ( or someone else ) figure out what's wrong with your system.

Fok Speling Misstake

endless_n00b

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2001
Thanks to everyone for their help. Last night I exhausted every other option suggested leaving only 1 left - faulty hardware. So it was time to start the dreaded replacing of hardware. I started with the most obvious cause of blue screens, the memory. Even though it was Mushkin, and should be high quality, you never know. And guess what, you really do never know. I sucked it up and shelled out 100 bucks at the local ripoff computer store and bought a new stick of DDR (but not before I quizzed the sales guy extensively on their RETURN policy, heh heh ;) popped in the new stick and guess what? Installation went as smooth as butter! Stupid Mushkin, I thought you were good! Oh well, I guess I'm just unlucky. I just RMA'd it, and when the new one comes in I'll return the other stick and probably get some new games with the credit :)

thanks again!

-

maybe I should change my sig to say Mushkin! :mad:<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by endless_n00b on 08/21/02 12:39 PM.</EM></FONT></P>