Crash during Windows 10 update, won't boot

eurydamas

Reputable
Aug 5, 2015
I restarted Windows 10, and it started installing updates. The computer restarted a couple times saying it was installing updates, and eventually it said that there was a problem installing the updates, and that it was reverting changes. It hung on this is screen for about five minutes, and then (my arm touched the keyboard in this instant, not sure if any buttons were pressed) I got a blue screen, with the error code disappearing too fast for me to read and remember it. Now when my computer attempts to start up, it shows the gigabyte 3d bios splash screen, goes to a black screen with a command prompt-esque cursor blinking, maybe five or so lines from the top. At this point it seems the only input it will accept is ctrl-alt-del, which restarts it and leads to the same outcome. Help is greatly appreciated, thanks.

Note: the selected solution is just for the sake of making this thread say solved. For what fixed the problem that I was having, see my post that starts with me saying I fixed it.

Solution
You can use system restore to go back to an automatically made restore point when you first booted onto windows.
Going to the previous build will go back to your last os before windows 10 im pretty sure

eurydamas

Reputable
Aug 5, 2015

I have tried this a couple times, f8 appears to do nothing (I was thorough in how many times I tapped.)

eurydamas

Reputable
Aug 5, 2015
Okay, I've made some new developments on the problem. I used the Media Creation Tool on another computer to create a bootable USB drive, which I can select to boot from during startup. From there I can get to the repair this computer part of the installer. The options I have and the results of clicking them are

System Restore - "To use system restore, you must specify which windows installation to use. Restart this computer, select an operating system, and then select system restore."

Reset this PC (keeping files) - "The drive where Windows is installed is locked. Unlock the drive and try again."

Command Prompt - Gives a command prompt "Administrator: X:\windows\system32\cmd.exe"
Note: windows is installed on C:

Startup repair - "Diagnosing your PC" -> "Attempting repairs" -> restart -> problem persists

Go back to previous build - haven't clicked it, as not sure what it'll do.

If anyone has any advice as to what I should do, it would be greatly appreciated.

vlxedits

Honorable
Aug 1, 2013
You can use system restore to go back to an automatically made restore point when you first booted onto windows.
Going to the previous build will go back to your last os before windows 10 im pretty sure

Solution

eurydamas

Reputable
Aug 5, 2015
Update: Fixed the problem! It seems that for some reason the boot order in my bios got flubbed up and it was trying to boot from something that didn't have an OS on it. It's fixed now it seems, and to anyone else that happens to have that problem, just check to make sure the computer is attempting to boot from the right drive.

ed carter

Reputable
Aug 8, 2015
Nothing is working for me after win 10 upgrade, can only access setup...recovery(f10) doesnt work, cant get into safe mode(f8). I see the win splash screen, then it crashes...been trying all day to find a workaround, seems my computer is ruined...

eurydamas

Reputable
Aug 5, 2015

Did you make a new thread in this forum? If not I'd recommend it, you're more likely to get the attention and help you need, especially since the problem I had is different from the one you have.

Rachaelcollins

Reputable
Aug 11, 2015

How do you resolve the order in which the bios starts up in. I'm having the same issue. Every time I start my computer up it has 1 beep and then go to a systems settings page but when I hit f10 it just starts up in the same page with 1 beep.

eurydamas

Reputable
Aug 5, 2015

Hi, sorry to hear you are having this problem. I have not yet resolved the boot order problem in the bios yet as it won't recognize the right drive, so what I have to do is press f12 on startup (that's the boot menu, might be a different key for your computer though) and manually select what drive I want to boot from.

Thomas_11

Reputable
Sep 22, 2015

Dougy Fresh

Reputable
Dec 1, 2015
If you can get it to boot after various attempts (Safe Mode), go to: Device Manager>> System Devices>> Intel Management Engine Interface>> Double Click and update the driver. The driver is from 2012 and is not compatible with Windows 10. You might consider the Intel Driver Update Utility which I have used with mixed results.

USERWINDOW10

Commendable
Mar 10, 2016
"quotemsg=16401551,0,1378350]You can use system restore to go back to an automatically made restore point when you first booted onto windows.
Going to the previous build will go back to your last os before windows 10 im pretty sure [/quotemsg]"

Keeps saying its restoring factory settings then crashes to original problem: cant get passed the blue screen of death nor the dark black one with tons of wording and highlighted blue hp support stuff. is this hard drive..really done for, or did windows 10 aka Microsoft just took down several systems for the heck of things?

elgranpagan

Honorable
Jul 9, 2013
April 15, 2016 - The Windows update process now controlled by MS is actually bad. I am using a Dell laptop with an i-7 cpu, 500gb ssd hd, and 8gb ram. I originally had Windows 7 professional, and I foolishly opted to jump on the upgrade wagon back in July 2015. Its been very problematic ever since. I have gotten various errors - including frozen screens, frozen start-ups, and failed reboots. I have been fortunate that I backup my laptop using Macrium Reflect - which allows me to restore the laptop's image if it totally crashes.

My point is that the updates tend to lock the laptop and when I force it to reboot, it totally crashes. Last night, I booted up my laptop after not having used it for more than 2 weeks - so my laptop missed the updates from two Tuesdays. After the boot up, the home screen seemed to freeze. After about 20 minutes, I did a cold restart. After several restarts, the laptop came up with "you need to restore Windows... go to advanced options to save your files".

I have checked the device manager and nothing seems broken. I am running a Kaspersky anti virus, and malwarebytes (full paid for versions). Fortunately, I can retrieve my personal account information online. I also have MS Office 2013 professional - which I have had to reinstall several times because of failed MS updates.

I did find a registry fix about deleting a profile image path from the registry. I will try this tonight.
http://www.techtimes.com/articles/75183/20150811/new-windows-10-problem-forced-automatic-update-causing-endless-crash-loops-here-s-how-to-fix-the-issue.htm

I also separately found another MS blog that discusses fixes for these updates. I will check these out tonight.
http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-win_upgrade/unable-to-upgrade-to-windows-10-something-happened/be12b76d-af02-46a1-a00c-4e4af0c29588?auth=1

BTW.... I have a separate PC desktop which I built one month ago, and upgraded it to Windows 10 Pro - and this seems to be working fine. I am inclined to believe that the crashes on my Dell Laptop may be specific to my Dell laptop.

If anyone has any ideas, or sees any patterns I missed, please let me know.

zianasue

Commendable
Aug 23, 2016

what is mobo screen? I have an intel screen. is that the same thing?

StarSlayer

Commendable
Sep 17, 2016
Hey so I recently updated my windows 10 and shut it down. Now when I try to start it it just goes to a screen saying I should the windows disc and repair it but it doesn't work, it also says there might be some changes in the system or something is not connected. I've tried going to bios but no keys work and I've even checked the pc if something wasn't connected but everything seemed fine. I could really use some help thanks.

Jim Bailey

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2010

Jim Bailey

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2010
It seems that every Win 10 drama has variations on a similar deal. Like cancer, no two Win 10 illnesses have identical genetics. Home based business. Five Win 10 desktops, two laptops. Some 64 bit, some 32 bit. Only the laptops upgraded from Win 7 pro to Win 10 with minimum fuss and have run almost flawlessly as every customer of MS has a right to expect. The desktop Win 10 machines crash repeatedly, every few days. Once repaired and running again, often for no rational reason other than a MS update or some other secret background intervention, they will crash again within a few days and be out of action for a few days and sometimes for weeks. Invariably (in the least worst case scenario), it takes days to get them going again. The initial roll out of Win 10, resulted in multiple failures. Subsequent roll-backs failed and corrupted the OS to be unusable. Reinstalls followed. Toward the end of the free install period, we decided to upgrade again, thinking that the early problems would have been sorted by MS. BIG MISTAKE. The Win 10 installs generally succeeded, but ever since, Win 10 crashes beyond repair have occurred weekly. If one of the desktops is working on any given day, then that would be a good day for my business. Usually the computer crashes to death. Most crashes over the past few months result in a subsequent failure to post. Sometimes the system SSD will become "locked" for some inexplicably idiotic non-reason. If post-crash, a posting occurs miraculously, then the BIOS can be accessed at least to try to restart use USB repair which fails for a variety of reasons, none rational. Despite following all of the supposed "expert" advice online, nothing works. Accessing SAFE MODE is a pain in the butt difficult if not impossible. Why does MS make everything as difficult as possible? That's like asking the Man in the Moon why he doesn't frown. Surely there must be enough severely disgruntled Win Tenners to start a class action against MS to recover the costs of business down-time directly attributable to Win 10 disasters? Win 10 in most cases is extraordinarily unreliable and dismally crash prone. Win 10 is a global business disaster. It could hardly be worse if it had been devised by ISIS. If Win 10 were an automobile, it would have been declared publicly to be a rotten lemon. The solution is to give Ten the flick. MS is an acronym for Multiple Sclerosis, for which there is no cure.

jfoster.tech

Prominent
Jan 24, 2018
This works I have saved now 6 systems

Go to advanced menu and troubleshooting then command line
determine where your windows is located by typing DIR (drive letter without Parenthesis:)
The affected drive will have a users folder place that drive letter where C is in the commands below

Dism /Image:C: /Get-Packages

Copy the name of the most recent package updates and place with no space after the last colon paste the name. Select just the Package name.

DISM /Image:C: /Remove-Package /PackageName:

colbyhugh

Prominent
Jan 26, 2018

colbyhugh

Prominent
Jan 26, 2018
STOP AND THINK. YOU ARE ALL MISSING THE FUNDAMENTAL ISSUE HERE. 95%+ OF COMPUTER USERS ARE NOT COMPUTER LITERATE. ALL THE STUFF PUBLISHED ON THIS TOPIC WILL PASS RIGHT OVER THEIR HEADS AS GOBBLDEGOOK. THE FUNDAMENTAL ISSUES ARE, 1 WINDOWS 10 UPDATES ARE FORCED ONTO USERS WITH NO POSSIBILITY TO GIVE A YES/NO ACCEPTANCE; 2 THE ISSUE IS WITH MICROSOFT. THEY ARE ISSUING PRODUCT UPDATES THAT FAIL. THEY SHOULD NOT DO THIS. TO GET OUT OF A "MY COMPUTER WON'T START UP ANYMORE" COMPLAINT THEY ISSUE TECHY GOBBLEDGOOK. THIS PROBLEM WITH WINDOWS 10 UPDATES NOT WORKING AFTER INSTALLATION HAS BEEN GOING ON EVER SINCE WINDOWS 10 WAS LAUNCHED. MICROSOFT GET YOU ACT TOGETHER. WHAT A WONDERFUL ADVERTISEMENT THIS IS FOR APPLE. NEVER HAVE ANY OF THIS S..T ON MY MACBOOK.

kfreyschs

Prominent
Jan 29, 2018

Can you explain this sinus dumb people understand??