Tom's Hardware Giveaway - The Stanley Parable!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Titillating

Expert
Ambassador
It’s the middle of August. It’s been a pretty nice summer. Years ago, I would have spent it playing ball and hanging around on my stoop (I’m told that “stoop hanging" is strictly a New Yorker thing and makes no sense to other people). But now? Five days out of the week, I sit in an office building for the majority of the daylight hours. There is very little variation; it’s as if my days are on a narrative loop, repeating itself over and over again. Sometimes I wonder if my name is actually Stanley.

If you haven't guessed from my minor existential crisis (or, you know, the thread title), this week’s giveaway features The Stanley Parable! We’ve got five (5) copies to give away and like usual, contest entry is pretty simple: just participate in this week’s discussion!

This week, we really want your feedback and opinions on our weekly giveaways. We’ve been running these for a few months now and we want to know what you all think of it so far. Is there any part of it that you don’t like or think could use improvements? Maybe you don’t like the random nature of how winners are chosen, or maybe you think things are too easy and would like something more interesting than discussion threads. Heck, maybe having one every week is taking away the thrill of it, and you want us to do this less often! Whatever it is, we want to know so that we can make this better for you, because after all, it is all for you, our wonderful Tom's community members :love:

Personally, from my perspective running these, I prefer doing more interesting contests. Drawing the Witcher’s Medallion, challenging people to beat me at Snake, having people create prisoner bios—these were some of my favorites. But doing this every week and keeping it accessible to everybody makes it difficult to keep things fresh every week, and that’s why we’ve had so many discussion-oriented giveaways lately. I don’t really mind that since everybody has such interesting things to say usually, but it’d be great to hear what you all think about how we should proceed in the future.

Contest will run until 12 PM EDT on Friday, August 21st. That’s 12:00 noon. Winners will receive their prize via Steam gifts; a Steam account is required to receive and to play the game. One entry per user. Attempts to cheat the system will result in automatic disqualification.

Be sure to join our Steam group! The group is nearing 1,000 members, and we’ve got a great surprise planned for that, so help us reach that goal faster by inviting your friends!

We’re actively looking for volunteers to write community reviews for games, so if you’re interested, please reach out to me for more details.

SHCPlayer

Reputable
Jul 4, 2015
>Contest will run until 12 PM EDT on Friday, August 14th. That’s 12:00 noon.

I think you meant August 21st, not 14th :)

SHCPlayer

Reputable
Jul 4, 2015

Haha I know just how it feels :)

jsgrant31

Honorable
Jan 20, 2014
It seems a sad situation when I couldn't remember whether I'd bought this game during the summer sale or not. Steam is a black hole letting no money escape. After checking my library, I do have the game. Can I still offer opinions? Actually, do you care if people post in these threads even if they already have the game? There were a couple weeks where I was going to post but didn't want to add to your workload for no reason.

I think the frequency of giveaways is good at once a week; if you had to change it, once every two weeks would be fine. I really do like the discussions that have come out of these; they're simple enough to where you don't feel like you're spending a lot of time on it, but they elicit enough conversation to make it a fun thing to check and chime in on your lunch break or whenever you have time. The more active ones, like drawing the Witcher Medallion (I'm biased towards this one), are better than the simple discussion-only giveaways IMO, but I understand some weeks you just don't have enough time to come up with something like that. I would support either keeping it as is or moving to twice a month giveaways with the more active discussions like the Witcher/Snake weeks.

I think the random selection of winners is good, but I don't think I've been the first to notice when someone wins by posting a one word answer rather than actually participating in the discussion. You're pretty lenient on this probably because you don't want to be nit-picky or run into language barriers where people might misunderstand the "rules," but perhaps you could add something to the initial post stating that one word answers won't be accepted. If you move to more active discussions I don't think this will be much of an issue.

My critique is pretty minor (I hate critiquing this anyway because it is, after all, a free giveaway); I think you already have a really good system of doing this though.

Cheers

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
i enjoy the discussions that can arise and love that the site is giving away freebies.

my only complaint is that i never win anything :( if i could change it i would ensure i win something every now and then. i mean really, i am more important that the others so i should win at least once a month :D

i'd also love to see some hardware giveaways as well. no idea what and how much stuff comes in that the site keeps but an occasional ram kit or ssd or maybe even a nice mobo/cpu combo or gpu would really kick ass. i know the SBM machines are given away but that is not the same as random stuff lying around. think of all the space that could be opened up in the lab if some of the "junk" were given away!!

Dr_M0rph3us

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2008
I haven't competed in many give-aways, mainly because I wasn't particularly interested in the offered games, but my experience so far was OK (well, I haven't won anything so far).
This week's giveaway game - an indie title - seems like an mind-boggling experience, so it's a nice change from the mainstream titles that I usually see, and hopefully, there'll be more like these in the future. I could suggest a few nice indie adventure titles if you'd like.

Cheers!

Titillating

Expert
Ambassador
Thanks for the feedback, jsgrant31! Those one word posts are a small problem, I agree, and it might be time to be more strict about it. After all, we do these giveaways to engage our users and get the community talking, and the ones doing one word posts are not contributing to that end. In either case, please feel free to join in even if you already have the game! It doesn't add much to my workload. Once I get the post up, there's very little required of me besides keeping track of all the entrants' names. The discussions actually keep me entertained throughout the day!

Math Geek, sorry you haven't won anything yet haha. Not much I can do about that, as they are done as random drawings. Glad to hear you enjoy the discussions though! As for the hardware, unfortunately, that's strictly under the Editorial team's jurisdiction--and I believe that a lot of the hardware we receive are returned after testing is completed.

Dr_M0rph3us, sorry the games haven't been appealing to you so far! We try to offer up a variety as far as genres go, but you're right, it's been pretty mainstream the past month or two. Not to worry though--we have a whole slate of indie goodness planned for next month!

SHCPlayer

Reputable
Jul 4, 2015

I just thought of something - we encourage the community to write reviews for good games they've played. If the reviews are received well, you can give those games away?

Also, I agree with Dr Morpheus. These kind of giveaways give some exposure to the smaller developers out there, giving them a chance to hit it big. Maybe you guys (or us) could scour the section of overlooked games and look into giving these kind of games as well?

Titillating

Expert
Ambassador

I don't want to give too much away, but both of those ideas have been discussed and planned. Since there is an active request for it, I'll try to move some things around and get those out sooner ;)

DonnyIII

Reputable
Jul 21, 2015
Well you already know my opinion on these disucssions, we've actually had one a few weeks ago about the random thing. :)

But I understand your side it's a less lot bothersome to just pick at random.

Other than that, everything is fine.

Questcraft

Reputable
May 27, 2015
I personally like the giveaways, and don't find much wrong with the way they have been going. That being said, every week is different and some get more engagement than others. Since I can't really come up with anything that I think is "wrong" or "needs changing", I will just say a couple of ideas that might make the giveaways for interactive.
1. You could change the 5 random giveaways too maybe 3 random giveaways and 2 Staff picks. Something that then would reward the ones who actually come on and think about the question instead of just doing a quick post for a chance to win.
2. Change the giveaways to every other week, but make the questions more engaging (like the snake) so that we can have some fun while joining in on the giveaway.
3. This goes along with point 2. is make the giveaways longer. So that if it were every other week, people could then likely get a day off somewhere in that amount of time to go and do whatever is going on for that giveaway.
4 (Lastly). Since this has only been going on for a short amount of time, I am not sure if this is already planned on being implemented, but you could do a "Grand" giveaway on holidays or special occasions (PAX, QuakeCon, etc.). It would involve doing something related too what is going on and would require more involvement than just doing a discussion or playing snake (although those are still a lot of fun). It could also be like 10 giveaways because it is "Grand" :).
Other than those suggestions, I can't think of anything else that would make it better or fairer. Keep up the good work and thanks for doing the giveaways for everyone in the community.

hdmark

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2015
I like the giveaways although I have no entered a single one yet. I mainly come to tomshardware for the tech articles that I don't understand so I can feel like I know something about the tech world :D and to tell people that a gtx 960 is fine for 1080 gaming and no, the gtx 750 ti will not be good.

but i'll looking more into the giveaways from here on out!

tech-wreck

Honorable
Jan 8, 2014
i like the random selection method, but i am biased because i got lucky with the goat simulator giveaway...
maybe once a month or so you can challenge us to do something creative, on a theme related to the prize?

MontellanoFer

Reputable
May 12, 2015
It is always good to receive free stuff, once a week, once a day, at every hour ;)

Regarding the way to participate, my lazy side would say easy single words and show me the games! But of course, a mission or quest is more enjoyable and make the discussion more interesting. and even if language could be a barrier, drawing or snake skills are not. Those times, if you have the chance to offer more than a copy, sound fair if one of them is granted by merit, leaving the others to chance as of today. I understand that some times, define who deserves the prize could be tricky, (how to pick one between Witcher's drawings?) but if one of the answers is acknowledged by the community, there you have one candidate.

And for the titles, a mix between AAA titles and indie gems would be nice, for some of us pay the full price of a best-seller title is not an option, and independent developers deserves the exposure - well, at least many of them - so, let's give everybody a piece of the share.

Thanks for listening (reading, bah)

As someone who is on these forums essentially every day, having the chance at free stuff is always nice (Yay student loan debt)... For example, that tomshardware hammer giveaway, or those TH case badges I received, in addition to all the games. Its just a great example of the community here. I dont have any complaints, other than not winning anything :D

nimbian

Reputable
May 4, 2015
I've always been one of little words and even fewer post. What is there to complain about in terms of freebies/giveaways. I will agree that there as only been one game I was interested (DBZ xenoverse). However I'm not going to say these are bad just because I don't particularly care for the selection. The only thing people can complain about is not winning... come to think of it I dind't win so now I'm complaining... but seriously I think it is awesome that you guys are able to do these giveaways and I hope there are many to come over the next many months.

jdon

Honorable
Sep 30, 2013
My only feedback has already been given: People are able to enter without actually properly responding to the question posed as entry criteria (that and the ever popular "But *I* haven't won!"). Other than that, I dig the format, and really appreciate the fact that I don't have to post to MyTweetBook or some crap for extra entries. Maybe to address MontellanoFer's idea, you could have a vote at contest close and the winners are chosen from the top 10 vote recipients at random? (or this could be way too much work and you could just throw free stuff at everyone, instead. :) )

steve-kj

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2014
Forum mechanism seems fine, however, please know that I haven't ever yet won a thing from Tom's Hardware, so it's a challenge for me to provide an useful feedback.

Titillating

Expert
Ambassador
I wish I could do something about people not winning. Believe me, if we could just hand out games to every single person, we would totally do that! I'll give some thought to the idea of "staff picked winners" and see if I can work that into this in a fair, balanced manner. It'd probably work better with games where we have multiple copies.

appreciate the fact that I don't have to post to MyTweetBook or some crap for extra entries

I hate that, too, so you will rarely if ever see that. Bonus entries are not always terrible though (the Witcher drawing contest had bonus entries), and they can make things a bit more fun and exciting. I'll be sure to make those more interesting than MyTweetBook stuff though :lol:

Since this has only been going on for a short amount of time, I am not sure if this is already planned on being implemented, but you could do a "Grand" giveaway on holidays or special occasions (PAX, QuakeCon, etc.).

Weeeell, I do have a little something planned for the upcoming winter holiday season. And when our Steam group reaches 1,000 members, there might be a nice surprise as well. Look forward to it! ;)

glez13

Reputable
May 19, 2015
It's nice to be able to get something for free easily, but I liked the MGS: GZ one the most because it also included getting something for certain for being the best at a game score, plus the usual random winners.

duckandchicken

Reputable
May 19, 2015
More Giveaway, more challenger :D some more give away with fun like the Witcher 3.
Giveaway 'll never be a bad idea :D Thanks.
PS: by the way I never ever won :D

Status
Not open for further replies.