Mouse keeps disconnecting and reconnecting randomly?

necyht

Honorable
Feb 11, 2013
So recently I've been having this issue where my mouse keeps disconnecting and reconnecting for about a second randomly. It doesn't happen too often, but it's enough to be annoying. I didn't have this problem about a month ago so I have no idea why it's happening now. I'm currently using the Logitech g100s with the Logitech gaming software installed, but even without the software it still randomly disconnects. I have a feeling it might be the mouse cord because I've been using the mouse for about a year and a half and it could be wearing down, but I can't really test this assumption out because I don't have any other mouse to use. Plugging it into other USB ports doesn't resolve the issue either. Anyone else have this problem and is there a fix?

Pearlmaster

Reputable
Aug 30, 2015
Currently using Asrock motherboard and Windows 10 runs smoothly on my PC. My mouse and keyboard worked perfectly after the upgrade, have no bugs since the free upgrade until now. I would recommend to try to update all your drivers to ensure they stay intact as Windows 10 still has bugs.

necyht

Honorable
Feb 11, 2013

I have an ASUS M5A97 r2.0. I'll check out the wesbite to see if there's anything new I can download.

Jeltz191

Commendable
Apr 3, 2016
I can confirm the problem is most likely a micro-crack in one wire of the mouse. What had me confused was the immediate reconnect after disconnect and my inability to find a spot where I could replicate it. Do not be fooled by this (read below)

It is most likely that recent improvements in USB/driver stack and windows event timing has picked up on these "micro"events" leading people to suspect software/incompatibility, and not hardware. The software in this case is just the bearer of the bad news, not the cause. The crack would have been causing a stutter in mouse motion previously rather than a disconnect/reconnect which by eye you were likely not picking up on.

So, it is a hardware problem and needs either the mouse replacing (under warranty if possible), or if you are clever enough, and do not care about warranty, by replacing of the cable. Note the times users have said Microsoft have been silent, while Logitech replace the mouse without question and you will realize the validity of this answer.

There are dozens of threads on this subject, several linking the problem to updates in operating system (particularly latest revision windows 10) proposing problems with USB power, driver incompatibility and so on. Logitech mice and some keyboards in particular seem prone to this problem. Of course I am not saying this might be the only problem out their just the most likely one: All your older mice might have this problem.

I had this problem recently which started immediately after the latest windows 10 build update and have been trawling the net for solutions like others. I can confirm my problem (random disconnect/reconnect with no apparent pattern or timing) was a micro-crack in one wire of the USB mouse cable (both my Logitech 400 and 500 series). What had me confused was the immediate reconnect and my inability to find a spot where I could replicate it and that it was happening in both mice. (Sigh, one of them is out of warranty)

I finally found a sweet spot with right cable twist and bend which I could replicate the disconnect/reconnect every time, but for early developers of this fault, replicating will be very difficult.