Origin PC Now Using OCZ Vector 150 SSDs

By - Source: OCZ Storage Solutions | B 12 comments

Toshiba-owned OCZ Storage Solutions announced on Tuesday that Origin PC is now offering its Vector 150 Series of SSDs as an option for custom-built gaming laptops and desktops. Compared to traditional hard drives, these SSDs promise 175 percent faster game installations, 190 percent faster game level loading, and 345 percent faster game file copying.

Taking a peek at the Vector 150 Series specs, this family is offered in three capacities: 120 GB, 240 GB and 480 GB. For the 120 GB version, the sequential read speed is 550 MB/s and the write speed is 450 MB/s. Random read speed is 80,000 IOPS, the random write speed is 95,000 IOPS, and the Steady State random write is 12,000 IOPS.

As for the 240 GB and 480 GB versions, they both have sequential read speeds of 550 MB/s and sequential write speeds of 530 MB/s. They also have the same random write speed of 95,000 IOPS, but the random read speed (90,000 and 100,000 IOPS) and Steady State random writes (21,000 and 26,000 IOPS) are slightly different, respectively.

"We are pleased that our Vector 150 SSDs are now qualified and an available option for Origin's widely respected line of custom-built, high-performance PCs and workstations for the computer gaming industry," said Ralph Schmitt, CEO for OCZ Storage Solutions. "The Vector 150 Series is an ideal fit for Origin's 'elite' systems, as it delivers industry-leading sustained performance across all capacities to help provide the ultimate gaming experience."

The OCZ Vector 150 SSDs are already a part of Origin PC's customized engine. When configuring the "Genesis" gaming desktop, customers will see the 120 GB Vector 150 SSD as a $69 upgrade from the default storage option, the 240 GB drive for $165, and the 480 GB version for $389. Other drive options include Samsung's 840 Evo Series, Origin PC's "approved" SSD, and even Intel's 730 Series.

Toshiba purchased OCZ Technology Group back in January. The latter company remained as a separate entity, but was renamed as OCZ Storage Solutions. However, the deal meant that Toshiba could scoop up OCZ's enterprise and client SSD businesses. In turn, OCZ would have access to Toshiba's NAND and combine it with the company's proprietary controllers, firmware and software.

"OCZ is a major player in the high-performance SSD market and continues to raise the bar with their latest high-performance Vector 150 Solid State Drives," said Kevin Wasielewski Origin PC CEO and co-founder.

Follow Kevin Parrish @exfileme. Follow us @tomshardware, on Facebook and on Google+.

Discuss
Add your comment Display all 12 comments.
  • 0 Hide
    dstarr3 , July 2, 2014 1:31 PM
    Using these is a great way to ensure that customers will need new SSDs within a year.
  • -1 Hide
    jimmysmitty , July 2, 2014 5:29 PM
    Quote:
    Using these is a great way to ensure that customers will need new SSDs within a year.

    Or less. I worked at a shop and we built 12 systems for use in the store (PoS, HR and tech use) and we put in all OCZ 60 and 120GB SSDs. Within about 3 months we started having issues ranging from the SSDs dropping from the SATA controller (and this was on Intel SATA controllers, not a crappy Marvell one) to them not being detected at all ever again. All 12 of them started doing this.

    We ended up replacing them all with Intel 320s and never had an issue again.
  • 2 Hide
    helper800 , July 2, 2014 8:25 PM
    Proud owner of an OCZ Agility 3 120gb SSD for 2 years with 0 problems.
  • 2 Hide
    mapesdhs , July 3, 2014 1:14 AM

    Proud owner of more than 30 OCZ SSDs, never had a problem with any of them.

    So jimmysmitty, was it _Vector_ units you put in your systems that had issues?
    If not then don't post FUD. Vectors are very good SSDs indeed. And what happened
    with the models you used? Did you get them replaced by OCZ? What caused the
    issue? So many of these sorts of instances were with older V1/V2 models due to
    fw bugs which were later fully fixed, but people keep on posting about them even
    though it's largely irrelevant to V4s and Vectors.

    Ian.

  • 2 Hide
    invisibilian , July 3, 2014 2:47 AM
    Proud owner of a 120g agility 3 until it was stolen. Never had an issue when I had it. OCZ makes decent SSDs.
  • 1 Hide
    tobalaz , July 3, 2014 3:31 AM
    I had enough problems with OCZ products that weren't SSDs so I didn't have enough faith to give the SSDs a try.
  • 0 Hide
    mapesdhs , July 3, 2014 5:46 AM
    Quote:
    Proud owner of a 120g agility 3 until it was stolen. ...

    That sucks. :\

    Quote:
    I had enough problems with OCZ products that weren't SSDs so I didn't have enough faith to give the SSDs a try.

    Funny you should mention that; the only OCZ product I ever had a problem with was one of their 1kW
    PSUs. Sent it back for a refund; stuck to Thermaltake Toughpower since then & never looked back.

    But for SSDs, OCZ is fine; the key is, for the older models that are IMO any good (Vertex2E, Vertex3,
    Vertex4), make sure the fw is up to date before using them, then they should be A-ok. I would not
    though recommend the lesser models like the Solid.

    Btw, a curious thing, I've hardly ever seen anyone on a forum say they have an Agility4. I wonder why?
    I acquired one just for testing, it works pretty well. Seems though it's the Agility3 which remains
    surprisingly popular on eBay.

    Ian.

  • 0 Hide
    soccerplayer88 , July 3, 2014 9:30 AM
    It's strange. I'm in the same boat with some others.

    I've owned my five Vertex3 120GB SSD's since they came out years ago. None of them has ever failed or caused a problem.

    Must be something special they did with the Vertex series. /shrug
  • 0 Hide
    mapesdhs , July 3, 2014 10:51 AM

    Did you ever update the firmware from when you first bought them?

    Who knows, maybe the units that caused problems were from a bad batch,
    or only the very early fw version was liable to mess things up, something
    like that, though I have a feeling most of the issues were with Vertex2s
    and other pre-V3 editions. Can't quite remember now.

    Either way, peoples' experiences do seem to vary widely, but the most
    important thing is that all of these problems were related to models prior
    to the Vertex4. All the models from the V4 onwards were really good.

    However, it's only human nature to adopt the approach of once bitten,
    twice shy.

    Ian.

  • 0 Hide
    jimmysmitty , July 3, 2014 4:01 PM
    Quote:

    Proud owner of more than 30 OCZ SSDs, never had a problem with any of them.

    So jimmysmitty, was it _Vector_ units you put in your systems that had issues?
    If not then don't post FUD. Vectors are very good SSDs indeed. And what happened
    with the models you used? Did you get them replaced by OCZ? What caused the
    issue? So many of these sorts of instances were with older V1/V2 models due to
    fw bugs which were later fully fixed, but people keep on posting about them even
    though it's largely irrelevant to V4s and Vectors.

    Ian.

    I didn't state these specifically but you can imagine that having 12 of them fail like I stated puts a bad taste in your mouth. It was a bit ago bit I think they were the Vertex 3s and they were all up to date with firmware (I always do that and check my current SSD monthly along with other drivers/BIOS updates). They were all on the same motherboard with the same CPU (except the tech stations which had a bit higher end model for more SATA ports but still a Intel 6 series chipset) etc and they all did this.

    Maybe we got a bad batch but in the end we stopped selling OCZ because beyond that we had more customer returns with them than we did with most other brands we sold.

    If it happened on one or two I wouldn't have cared but 12 along with ones going bad that customers bought? That makes me stick to other brands.
  • 0 Hide
    mapesdhs , July 3, 2014 4:49 PM
    jimmysmitty writes:
    > I didn't state these specifically but you can imagine that having 12 of them fail
    > like I stated puts a bad taste in your mouth. ...

    Yes indeed, very understandable from your point of view.

    > ... It was a bit ago bit I think they were the Vertex 3s ...

    Yup, that figures.

    > .. and they were all up to date with firmware ...

    Remember though there were further updates after all the failure issues.
    Latest release is 1.37 I think.

    > Maybe we got a bad batch ...

    Probably, though it's peculiar that this whole thing seemed to pan out in that way,
    ie. what seems to be a combination of fw bugs and some kind of manufacturing flaw.
    Otherwise, I can't see how one person can have such terrible issues as you did,
    while others (eg. me, I have loads of V3s) have no issues at all.

    > ... but in the end we stopped selling OCZ because beyond that we had more customer
    > returns with them than we did with most other brands we sold.

    Certainly from a biz perspective that makes perfect sense.

    I can only conclude that within OCZ back then, the majority view was that, a bit like
    MS and Windows releases, it was better to release fast & try to grab market share,
    effectively using the early adopters as bug finders. False economy IMO, never understood
    why any business would think that makes sense, but sooo many companies do it. Look
    at all the car recalls we've had in recent years, now another massive one this week (what
    is it, more than 8 million due to faulty ignition systems or something?).

    After the Vertex3 though, things changed at OCZ. The Vertex4 was sooo much better,
    perhaps in part due to it not using a SF controller, and the performance was a big leap too.
    Even today, a 256GB Vertex4 is a very potent unit.

    > If it happened on one or two I wouldn't have cared but 12 along with ones going bad that
    > customers bought? That makes me stick to other brands.

    Understandable, and proof of my comment above about a company releasing unfinished
    products being such a bad idea. Once bitten, twice shy; an aggrieved user, especially any
    commercial user, often just won't come back, no matter how good the later products are.

    The modern OCZ doesn't operate in that old way I'm sure, but it will take a long while for
    them to claw back a decent reputation, even if newer products are indeed way up there
    with the latest Samsungs. Hopefully Toshiba can chop away the fluff and get them to
    release a rival to the 850, because based on how well the Vector performs I would have
    though that's easily doable. Atm they're a bit in the doldrums IMO though because their
    pricing is just too high. The Vertex3 used to be very much competitive when it was
    mid-life, but the Vertex 460 is too expensive, the Vector 150 is often out of stock (and it
    needs to be cheaper than the EVO to really sell well), and on some sites the 240GB
    Vertex 460 has vanished entirely.

    I hope OCZ can get back into the game, because we need the competition, which atm
    seems to be mostly coming from Crucial and SanDisk instead.

    Ian.

  • 0 Hide
    tobalaz , July 5, 2014 10:06 PM
    Quote:
    Quote:
    Proud owner of a 120g agility 3 until it was stolen. ...

    That sucks. :\

    Quote:
    I had enough problems with OCZ products that weren't SSDs so I didn't have enough faith to give the SSDs a try.

    Funny you should mention that; the only OCZ product I ever had a problem with was one of their 1kW
    PSUs. Sent it back for a refund; stuck to Thermaltake Toughpower since then & never looked back.

    Had a PSU fry 3 weeks in and take out my motherboard, CPU and GPU. They wouldn't even refund me the cost of the power supply much less anything else. Had to build a new PC out of pocket, went with an Antec PSU and it lasted 5 years.
    Had DDR that wouldn't hit its rated speeds even with increased voltage, plus they screwed me out of a rebate. Had to take a "restocking fee" because OCZ wouldn't replace the sticks, went Corsair, no problems.
    Lost a CPU because a retention bracket on a CPU cooler broke for no apparent reason. That was the final straw, wouldn't take FREE products from them after all the "stellar" customer service and "quality" products I've had from them.

React To This Article