Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in

Rumored Specs of Upcoming GeForce GTX 880 Appear Online

By - Source: PCTuning Cz | B 42 comments

Details have been leaked about the upcoming GTX 880 graphics card from Nvidia, though we're not sure how much of it we're supposed to believe.

A number of rumors about the upcoming GTX 880 graphics card from Nvidia are floating around the web. These rumors are about the specifications, and while some of them are very believable, others are somewhat questionable.

We'll start off with the CUDA core count, which is rumored to be 3200. This is a fairly believable number, as the GTX 780 Ti's Kepler-based GPU features 2880 CUDA cores. The Maxwell-based GTX 880 is also rumored to feature 32 ROPs as well as 200 TMUs. These are both fewer than the GTX 780 Ti, though we have to remember that this is a different architecture. The GPU is expected to run at 900 MHz base, with a boost frequency of 950 MHz.

Memory aboard is expected to be 4 GB of GDDR5 memory, running at an effective speed of 7.4 GHz. Very fast, but believable. Then there is the memory bus, which is the most questionable part of the rumored specification list; the memory bus is expected to 'only' be 256-bits wide. This will limit the memory bandwidth to 238 GB/s, while the GTX 780 Ti managed to push 336 GB/s with its 384-bits wide memory interface.

Other specifications include that it will be built on the 20 nm lithography process, which is not news, as well as that it will have 7.9 billion transistors. The board is also expected to have a TDP of 230 W, which makes sense as Maxwell is a more efficient architecture and the smaller lithography process will also cut energy consumption.

There is one last rumor going around, which is that this graphics card is not actually intended to be the successor to the GTX 780 (Ti).  Given the reduced memory bandwidth, we're not sure exactly where this product will be positioned if the above specifications are correct.

Everything above is still very much in the rumor phase though, so as always, do be sure to take it with a heap of salt.

Add your comment Display 42 Comments.
  • 6 Hide
    warezme , April 11, 2014 12:16 PM
    Why would they give it the GTX 880 designation if it isn't the full featured upper end model? So what if the performance cannibalizes the Titan series. Those are old architecture that need to go away.
  • 6 Hide
    Frank Tizzle , April 11, 2014 12:36 PM
    I would hope that they researched this enough to find some legitimacy with some of the specs, rather than just re-posting it.
  • 0 Hide
    Zombie615 , April 11, 2014 12:41 PM
    Sounds like a waste of money once again.....
  • -7 Hide
    Bif Turkle , April 11, 2014 12:43 PM
    I cant wait for more inflated performance on my 1920x1080 60hz monitor. I think $825.99 would be a good price to start this card at too.
  • -5 Hide
    JOSHSKORN , April 11, 2014 12:53 PM
    When can we see GDDR6?
  • 5 Hide
    hannibal , April 11, 2014 1:03 PM
    Maybe this will come Below titan... And Titan would be next uber model... But early rumors are always best served with salt...
    The memory wide is actually quite believable because Kepler seems to be reasonable well feeded even with narrower memory bandwidth.
  • 3 Hide
    leoscott , April 11, 2014 1:07 PM
    Quote:
    When can we see GDDR6?

    I'd prefer a die shrink and less power consumption or more performance. When is the die shrink from 28nm coming?
  • 7 Hide
    WithoutWeakness , April 11, 2014 1:08 PM
    Quote:
    Why would they give it the GTX 880 designation if it isn't the full featured upper end model? So what if the performance cannibalizes the Titan series. Those are old architecture that need to go away.

    For the same reason that the GTX 660 used the GK104 chip instead of the full GK110 chip. Nvidia's mid-range GK104 was performance-competetive with AMD"s high-end Tahiti chip found on the HD 7970. Nvidia was able to take their mid-range chip and sell it at high-end prices because it outperformed the competition and would sell at that price. Then while AMD evolved their GCN architecture for the Hawaii chips in the R9 290 series Nvidia was able to sell off their high-end GK110 chips for top dollar as Tesla compute cards and eventually roll those chips into GeForce cards for the 780, 780Ti, Titan, and Titan Black.

    My guess for this generation is that it's the same deal. Nvidia feels that their mid-range GM104 chip will be competetive with AMD's offering so they will sell the GM104 as the GTX 880 and hold onto the larger GM110 chips for high-margin Tesla cards and roll them out later as the GTX 900 series.
  • 0 Hide
    The_One_and_Only , April 11, 2014 1:09 PM
    IF this is not some teenagers wet dream and some what credible, it could be that they plan on having titans from here on out and want the 780 ti guys to pony up more cash for the performance. Just a thought on probably fake info....
  • -1 Hide
    hannibal , April 11, 2014 1:09 PM
    Quote:
    Quote:
    When can we see GDDR6?

    I'd prefer a die shrink and less power consumption or more performance. When is the die shrink from 28nm coming?


    At the end of this year...
  • 1 Hide
    Yuka , April 11, 2014 1:21 PM
    Quote:
    Why would they give it the GTX 880 designation if it isn't the full featured upper end model? So what if the performance cannibalizes the Titan series. Those are old architecture that need to go away.


    Since it's nVidia, they'll probably have a "Titan 2" down the road to bleed fanboys out of their money later on, haha.

    If the specs are actually true, they sound more like an updated revision instead of a higher tier Maxwell GPU (was it Maxwell?). The 4GB of VRAM are actually hurting them in the 4K territory thanks to what the R9-295X showed, so they might be cooking something in between to justify the stupid price tags they are asking as of late.

    Cheers!
  • -2 Hide
    nolarrow , April 11, 2014 4:00 PM
    That card was a goddamn RAID BOSS. Surprisingly, my "aging" gtx 570 is right up there in my all time favorite and long lasting gfx cards at my current 1920x1080 120hz rez.

    in no particular order:

    1. 3dfx voodoo 2s in SLI
    2. geforce 256
    3. 8800GT
    4. GTX 570
  • 0 Hide
    nolarrow , April 11, 2014 4:01 PM
    Quote:
    That card was a goddamn RAID BOSS. Surprisingly, my "aging" gtx 570 is right up there in my all time favorite and long lasting gfx cards at my current 1920x1080 120hz rez.

    in no particular order:

    1. 3dfx voodoo 2s in SLI
    2. geforce 256
    3. 8800GT
    4. GTX 570



    I had to log in and copy pasted my message and lost the first part.

    It was supposed to start with "I hope it lasts as long as my original 8800 GT"

    Sorry for the double post
  • 7 Hide
    jrharbort , April 11, 2014 5:27 PM
    One detail not mentioned is how the Maxwell architecture utilizes a much larger L2 cache, allowing it to do far more on-die instead of having to fetch data as often from the higher latency GDDR5 memory. This allows them to get away with a lower memory bus, while still offering even higher performance (read up the details and benchmarks of the GTX 860M, which is already released).
  • 2 Hide
    neon neophyte , April 11, 2014 7:41 PM
    Quote:
    One detail not mentioned is how the Maxwell architecture utilizes a much larger L2 cache, allowing it to do far more on-die instead of having to fetch data as often from the higher latency GDDR5 memory. This allows them to get away with a lower memory bus, while still offering even higher performance (read up the details and benchmarks of the GTX 860M, which is already released).


    that's a bold strategy cotton. let's see if it pays off for 'em.
  • 0 Hide
    MasterMace , April 11, 2014 8:53 PM
    If it's not a successor to the 780 Ti (15 SMX), then it's likely a Titan Successor (14 SMX), or a 780 successor (12 SMX). Using the Maxwell Model, a 15 SMX Successor would likely have 25 SMMs and 5 GPCs. What gets tricky is the ROPs, as we haven't seen a multi-GPC Maxwell - yet. I believe they are scaling it directly with the GM107. This would give 16 ROPs, 2MB L2 Cache, and 128-bit memory per GPC Disable 1 SMM and you have:

    5 GPCs
    24 SMMs
    10MB L2 Cache
    3072 Shader Cores
    192 Texture Units
    80 ROPs
    640-Bit Memory Bus
    6GB GDDR5 RAM

    If it's a GTX 780 successor, disable 1 GPC:

    4 GPCs
    20 SMMs
    8MB L2 Cache
    2560 Shader Cores
    160 Texture Units
    64 ROPs
    512-Bit Memory Bus
    3GB GDDR5 RAM

    I personally would love this. But if we're throwing out rumors, then here's a rumor via logic.
  • 0 Hide
    LORD_ORION , April 11, 2014 9:29 PM
    So maybe this will be another 8800GT

    They will release the 880 at $225, and it will be around 85% as fast as a 780 TI
  • 0 Hide
    danwat1234 , April 12, 2014 12:12 AM
    The 870m/880m mobile GPUs are out, though they are Kepler I guess.
  • 1 Hide
    Sakkura , April 12, 2014 4:42 AM
    Quote:
    For the same reason that the GTX 660 used the GK104 chip instead of the full GK110 chip. Nvidia's mid-range GK104 was performance-competetive with AMD"s high-end Tahiti chip found on the HD 7970. Nvidia was able to take their mid-range chip and sell it at high-end prices because it outperformed the competition and would sell at that price. Then while AMD evolved their GCN architecture for the Hawaii chips in the R9 290 series Nvidia was able to sell off their high-end GK110 chips for top dollar as Tesla compute cards and eventually roll those chips into GeForce cards for the 780, 780Ti, Titan, and Titan Black.

    My guess for this generation is that it's the same deal. Nvidia feels that their mid-range GM104 chip will be competetive with AMD's offering so they will sell the GM104 as the GTX 880 and hold onto the larger GM110 chips for high-margin Tesla cards and roll them out later as the GTX 900 series.

    Not this stupid myth again...

    The GK104 was a high-end GPU. It's almost as big as AMDs Tahiti, and much bigger than AMDs midrange GPU at the time, Pitcairn.

    If you want to get into the discussion about who got the most out of each square mm of die, then it's AMD: The R9 290X is only slightly slower than the GTX 780 Ti, even though Hawaii is much smaller than GK110.

    The size difference between GK110 and Hawaii is 123 square mm. The difference between Tahiti and GK104 is only 58 square mm. And the difference from what you call Nvidia's high-end GPU, the GK110, to what you call AMDs high-end GPU, Tahiti, is a whopping 209 square mm. There's no way these GPUs are in the same league. It's like comparing a humvee with a tank.
Display more comments
React To This Article