id Software has released the Doom 3 BFG Edition source code just over a month after the game launched for the Xbox 360, PlayStation 3 and Windows PC on October 15, 2012.
As always, this release contains only the engine source itself, and does not provide the game data and assets which are still covered by the original EULA. PC modders interested in creating their own content – or an entirely new open-source game – can now download the source code via github here. It's free to download and use, covered by GNU General Public License.
"The Doom 3 BFG Edition GPL Source Code release does not include functionality for integrating with Steam," the release notes state. "This includes roaming profiles, achievements, leaderboards, matchmaking, the overlay, or any other Steam features."
The source code also does not include functionality for rendering Bink Video, and it does not include functionality enabling rendering of stencil shadows via the "depth fail" method, a functionality commonly known as "Carmack's Reverse", the Zenimax-based studio states.
id Software also released on Tuesday a new patch for Doom 3 BFG Edition on Steam, adding a load of new features and bug fixes. Here's the entire list:
* All projectiles cast shadows
* Texture LOD bias added to menu options
* Added option to force v-sync (instead of "smart v-sync")
* Adjusted default brightness value
* Shadow casting projectiles added to menu options
* Allow setting anti-aliasing up to 16x on Nvidia hardware. AMD/Intel cap is at 8x
* Adjusted range of vertical sensitivity (allows you to lower sensitivity further than original implementation)
* Added option to disable checkpoints
* Allow left/right to enter resolution menu
* Variable FOV settings options were added into the main menu
* Added controller bind options
* Added additional anti-cheat measures
* Fixed blood splatter effects break after reloading save game
* Fixed broken view nodal code that allowed players to see through the world by backing into a wall and looking up
* Fixed weapon impact effects break after using the artifact (heart)
* Fixed leaderboards to work across languages
Stay on the Cutting Edge
Join the experts who read Tom's Hardware for the inside track on enthusiast PC tech news — and have for over 25 years. We'll send breaking news and in-depth reviews of CPUs, GPUs, AI, maker hardware and more straight to your inbox.
Added additional anti-cheat measures
Oh really........... is this a challenge then?
Wow that was quick.Reply
So... about those RAGE modding tools...Reply
REAL soon this time?
This will be one the first games to be on STEAM for Linux.Reply
jemain clementAdam. I just agree... Elizabeth`s story is flabbergasting... yesterday I picked up a top of the range Mazda from making $4798 this-past/month and-even more than, ten-k lass-month. it's by-far the best work I've had. I began this four months/ago and straight away began to bring in at least $82.. per hour. I follow this great link,, http://ace60.coℳI hate TrollsReply
well done id Software! I'm sure this will come in handy for the mod community and programmers out there. cheers!Reply
kellybeanI hate TrollsReply
I hate posters quoting spam, thus keeping it in the comments even after a mod removes it.
kellybeanI hate TrollsReply
Trolls != Spammers