The G45 platform does well enough in our Photoshop CS3 test to best Nvidia’s GeForce 9300 by a small margin and AMD’s 790GX chipset by a much larger gap.
It’s worth noting, however, that Photoshop CS4 is available for pre-order and, when it’s available, will accelerate a number of the application’s features, including image rotation, zooming, and panning, according to Nvidia.
Both Intel-based platforms serve up similar numbers in our anti-virus scan, while the AMD solution trails a bit. Of course, we’d expect the GeForce 9300 and G45 to give us at least somewhat similar results in productivity apps like this one—the only difference between the two chipsets being their memory controllers.
The GeForce 9300 and G45 are virtually tied in this processor-intensive rendering exercise. AMD’s Athlon 64 takes a third-place finish, but the gap isn’t a large one.
Intel and Nvidia run neck-in-neck in WinZIP, with the Athlon 64 X2 5400+ trailing by a substantial margin.
WinRAR seems to be better-optimized for AMD’s Athlon 64, as the three processors place in a much tighter grouping than in WinZIP.
- Out Of The Chipset Business? Not Yet, At Least
- MSI’s P7NGM-Digital Motherboard
- Test System And Benchmark Configuration
- Benchmark Results: Synthetic
- Benchmark Results: Productivity
- Benchmark Results: Audio/Video
- Benchmark Results: Integrated Gaming
- Benchmark Results: Hybrid Gaming
- DVD Playback
- Power And Pricing