Apparently, even one of the newer iTunes versions can't take much advantage of additional processing cores. Although audio transcoding is now pretty quick, this should really be fixed.
The same applies to Lame. It doesn’t scale well on multiple cores.
MainConcept wants as many processing units as it can get, although the improvements become smaller the more cores you add.
There are beautiful performance results in HandBrake.
- Scaling Down Thuban’s Cores
- Turbo CORE Implications And Motherboards
- Test Setup And Benchmark Settings
- Benchmark Results: Synthetics
- Benchmark Results: 3DMark And PCMark Vantage
- Benchmark Results: Applications
- Benchmark Results: Audio/Video
- Benchmark Results: Power Consumption
- Benchmark Results: Efficiency
- Normalized Power And Efficiency Results