As promised, Electronic Arts has announced that the multiplayer demo of Crysis 2 will arrive on the PC March 1, 2011. The news arrives nearly one month after the demo originally appeared on the Xbox 360 console as an Xbox Live Gold account exclusive.
"In the demo, PC gamers will master the game’s signature Nanosuit, which allows them to be strong, be invisible, be fast and become the ultimate weapon," reads the announcement. "Players will compete in six vs. six matches set against a war-torn Manhattan in two maps: 'Skyline,' set on top of the rooftops and interiors of skyscrapers, and 'Pier 17,' an open environment with limited cover."
The Crysis 2 demo will also feature two multiplayer modes: "Team Instant Action" and "Crash Site." The former mode pits two teams against each other as they kill as many opponents as possible to win the round. In "Crash Site," players will battle for control of alien drop pods, earning points by guarding their pods and keeping enemies at bay.
Electronic Arts has also served up a sneak peak of each map which can be found here (Pier 17) and here (Skyline). As for the demo, the actual download size is currently unknown, but will be available at http://crysis.ea.com and other mirror sites starting March 1. The full game is slated to hit retail shelves on March 22 for the Xbox 360, PlayStation 3 and Windows PC.
To play the demo, you need to meet the following system requirements:
- OS: Windows XP, Vista or Windows 7, with the latest Service Pack
- CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo at 2 GHz, or AMD Athlon 64 x2 2 GHz, or better
- GPU: Nvidia 8800GT with 512 MB RAM, ATI 3850HD with 512 MB RAM, or better
- Memory: 2 GB (Vista requires 3 GB)
- HDD space: 9 GB
- Sound: DirectX Compatible Sound Card
- DirectX version: 9.0c
- Controller support: Microsoft Xbox360 Controller for Windows
- Multiplayer requirements: Internet Connection
Note: There's indication that this list of minimum hardware requirements many not be final.