Skip to main content

AMD Reportedly Preps Radeon Super Resolution (RSR) to Democratize FSR Technology

AMD logo
(Image credit: AMD)

According to a report from VideoCardz, AMD has a new scaling solution that should help more PC gamers get higher frame rates from their hardware. The new Radeon Super Resolution (RSR) is, in essence, AMD's FidelityFX Super Resolution (FSR) technology moved down the graphics pipeline so it can run in all games that run full-screen. It is expected to debut in January.

Developers of newer titles are more likely to implement FSR, but RSR could find a niche use for older, less frequently updated titles or in titles sponsored by rivals that may never get FSR. Of course, there are some drawbacks with RSR compared to FSR, but AMD must have weighed the positives and moves by competitors and figured out the change of tack was worth implementing. 

AMD provided the most obvious reasons why RSR will be inferior to the existing (but not so widespread) FSR when it discussed the technicalities of its scaling tech. In September, we published an AMD FSR explainer article, so that's a good starting point to understand how this upscaling tech works. The most important reason that FSR scaling tech needs to be implemented in-game mid-pipeline is so that common game UI and HUD elements don't get softened up by the spatial upscaling algorithm.

AMD Radeon Super Resolution (RSR) coming in January

Leak-centric tech site VideoCardz was tipped off by its sources regarding AMD Radeon Super Resolution (RSR) and has shared a logo to back up its story. Even though this is likely to be a reliable tip, please remember to add a pinch of salt to all this RSR talk until AMD announces it. You shouldn't have to wait long until RSR becomes official, though - it is tipped to be launched next month. By the sounds of it, RSR might be discussed as part of the AMD CES 2022 presentations. It is certainly a good fit for the new lower-end graphics cards heavily rumored to appear, namely the AMD Radeon RX 6500 XT and RX 6400.

AMD RSR logo via VideoCardz

(Image credit: VideoCardz)

Image Scaling Tech Becomes a Graphics War Flashpoint

Using intelligent image scaling techniques to boost framerates looks like a new flashpoint in the war between AMD, Intel and Nvidia. Nvidia certainly grabbed the first-mover advantage with DLSS, and firmed up its position with DLSS 2.X. Earlier this year we heard details of both AMD FSR and Intel XeSS rival technologies. More recently, AMD FSR became available and is supported by nearly 70 games at the time of writing. 

Nvidia responded with an improved NIS algorithm in its control panel, implemented in drivers this November, and which doesn't require dedicated Tensor or Ray Tracing cores. Our headline marks AMD's effort to strike back, by democratizing FSR further still. It seems like all vendors are working closely with big-name graphics engine makers like Epic Games and Unity, too.

Please note that AMD FSR is officially supported by AMD Polaris, Vega, RDNA 1 or RDNA2 architecture graphics cards, as well as Nvidia Pascal or newer GPUs. AMD's RSR is said to only support RDNA1 or newer GPUs. However, this compatibility limit might just be a misinterpretation or a case of not enough depth being provided by the source.

Mark Tyson
Freelance News Writer

Mark Tyson is a Freelance News Writer at Tom's Hardware US. He enjoys covering the full breadth of PC tech; from business and semiconductor design to products approaching the edge of reason.

  • VforV
    As an RDNA2 owner the best part of this is being able to use RSR in nvidia sponsored games that are "blocked" from having FSR. AMD: "You don't want to implement it, fine we'll do it ourselves at driver level." :LOL:🆒

    It's nice to see Radeon not play dead and push forward, as some nvidia fanbois think it will happen. It won't.
    Reply
  • renz496
    VforV said:
    As an RDNA2 owner the best part of this is being able to use RSR in nvidia sponsored games that are "blocked" from having FSR. AMD: "You don't want to implement it, fine we'll do it ourselves at driver level." :LOL:🆒

    It's nice to see Radeon not play dead and push forward, as some nvidia fanbois think it will happen. It won't.

    doubt nvidia are blocking FSR. even bigger game like Cyberpunk 2077 before have FidelityFX being implemented from the get go despite CDPR is very well known to have very close relation with nvidia.
    Reply
  • VforV
    renz496 said:
    doubt nvidia are blocking FSR. even bigger game like Cyberpunk 2077 before have FidelityFX being implemented from the get go despite CDPR is very well known to have very close relation with nvidia.
    Of course they are. CP 77 has FFX CAS only and that was before FSR was even a thing. FFX CAS was never a threat whatsoever to DLSS, but FSR is and now RSR too.

    Even a 5 year old can see that nvidia sponsored titles are blocked to implement FSR and have only DLSS: CP 77, Metro Exodus, Watch Dogs Legion and the list goes on...

    AMD does it too, albeit nvdia did it 1st, so AMD is just responding with the same "treatment". Godfall and Far Cry 6 both AMD sponsored and both only have FSR, no DLSS.

    Some of us are not that stupid, or blind to not read between the lines. It's obvious.
    Reply
  • hotaru.hino
    FSR should've been a driver wide feature to begin with. Not that NVIDIA is missing out much considering they have a similar feature in their driver control panel.
    Reply
  • VforV
    hotaru.hino said:
    FSR should've been a driver wide feature to begin with. Not that NVIDIA is missing out much considering they have a similar feature in their driver control panel.
    I think is better this way, because options.

    AMD did not want to copy/paste nvidia and make it only for their own GPUs, thus FSR is for everybody and that's a good PR move, unlike nvidia and their smug elitist black box ****.

    It can very well be that FSR 2.0 or maybe this RSR will be the one going forward, so RSR 2.0 to have actually hardware acceleration in RDNA3. We knew from FSR launch that AMD was already working on 2.0. Maybe this is it, maybe that's another separate thing altogether.
    Reply
  • renz496
    VforV said:
    Of course they are. CP 77 has FFX CAS only and that was before FSR was even a thing. FFX CAS was never a threat whatsoever to DLSS, but FSR is and now RSR too.

    Even a 5 year old can see that nvidia sponsored titles are blocked to implement FSR and have only DLSS: CP 77, Metro Exodus, Watch Dogs Legion and the list goes on...

    AMD does it too, albeit nvdia did it 1st, so AMD is just responding with the same "treatment". Godfall and Far Cry 6 both AMD sponsored and both only have FSR, no DLSS.

    Some of us are not that stupid, or blind to not read between the lines. It's obvious.

    in case of FSR nvidia have no reason to block them. if anything allowing both game to have FSR and DLSS will allow reviewer to make direct comparison between the two tech. and this can highlight the weakness of FSR vs AI upscaling like DLSS. some people said that early on AMD actually try to block DLSS to be implemented in their sponsored games. not because they want to block competitor adoption but initially they did not want direct comparison to be made on both tech.
    Reply
  • VforV
    renz496 said:
    in case of FSR nvidia have no reason to block them. if anything allowing both game to have FSR and DLSS will allow reviewer to make direct comparison between the two tech. and this can highlight the weakness of FSR vs AI upscaling like DLSS. some people said that early on AMD actually try to block DLSS to be implemented in their sponsored games. not because they want to block competitor adoption but initially they did not want direct comparison to be made on both tech.
    You're very naive if this is what you think.

    nvidia has a history, and entire history of doing shady and scummy things, blocking a competitor is one of them and it's in their DNA.

    If you can't or refuse to see this, I have nothing more to add.
    Reply
  • renz496
    VforV said:
    You're very naive if this is what you think.

    nvidia has a history, and entire history of doing shady and scummy things, blocking a competitor is one of them and it's in their DNA.

    If you can't or refuse to see this, I have nothing more to add.

    lol i know how sinister nvidia can be. but it is in nvidia interest to have FSR to be used in the same game using DLSS. that way media will talk about the how FSR and DLSS compare to each other. and nvidia have no issues "sponsoring" tittles to use DLSS. that's why some older game, AMD sponsored at that getting an update to use DLSS (Horizon Zero Dawn).
    Reply