Iran's Crypto Miners Will Be Allowed to Resume Operations in September

Iran's cryptocurrency miners are expected to be allowed to resume operations on September 22, the Iran Power Generation, Distribution and Transmission Company (Tavanir) told The Financial Tribune, as demand on the country's power grid falls.

The Ministry of Industries, Mining and Trade temporarily banned cryptocurrency mining earlier this year because it was concerned the energy-intensive process might lead to blackouts as overall power consumption rose in the summer months.

But that doesn't appear to be much of a deterrent. The Financial Tribune said, "unlicensed miners use almost 2,000-3,000 MW a day, as much as half the total daily power consumption in Tehran City," and "damage the power distribution systems."

Tavanir reportedly said that unlicensed miners have caused approximately $4.26 billion (180 trillion rials) in damage to its equipment and that it's helped the Iranian government seize 212,373 mining rigs over the last 12 months.

TOPICS
Nathaniel Mott
Freelance News & Features Writer

Nathaniel Mott is a freelance news and features writer for Tom's Hardware US, covering breaking news, security, and the silliest aspects of the tech industry.