Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in

New Genius Mouse Has a Windows 8 Mode

By - Source: Tom's Hardware US | B 14 comments

This mouse tries to make Windows 8 a bit more tolerable for those without a touchscreen.

Genius introduced this week the Ergo 8800, an ergonomic wireless infrared mouse that's ideal for Windows 8 and Windows 8.1 users. The peripheral has two modes: the traditional setup and one that caters to the design of the Start Screen. The Ergo 8800 is now available in the US and Canada for the suggested retail price of $49.99 USD.

To activate Windows 8 mode, users must hold down the left, right and scroll buttons simultaneously. Once activated, the user can switch between active apps and open up the Charms bar with a single click. Users can also toggle between the Start Screen and the last app used. Four additional hot keys provide access to Previous, Next Page, Flying Scroll, and to adjust the DPI between 800, 1200 and 1600.

"One set of AA batteries can power the Ergo 8800 for up to 36 months in part thanks to its advanced infrared sensor that is designed to consume less power," the PR states. "Moreover, the Ergo 8800 can also be operated on a single AA battery. This eco-friendly, power-saving design translates to a hassle-free mousing experience."

According to the PR, the peripheral's ergonomic design encourages a natural hand, wrist and forearm posture, thus helping to prevent possible strain that can lead to potential injuries and stress. Unfortunately, this mouse is only designed for right-headed customers; lefties will need to look elsewhere such as Microsoft, which provides Windows 8 devices for either hand.

"For easy portability, a two-in-one slot allows room for both placements of the pico receiver and Stick-N-Go mount," reads the PR. "The plastic Stick-N-Go piece can be secured onto any notebook or ultrabook, letting users effortlessly mount the Ergo 8800 for trouble-free storage while on-the-go."

For more information about the new Genius Ergo 8800, head here.

Discuss
Ask a Category Expert

Create a new thread in the News comments forum about this subject

Example: Notebook, Android, SSD hard drive

This thread is closed for comments
  • 3 Hide
    chill1221 , April 18, 2014 9:13 AM
    A special mouse for a special OS! does it come with a helmet? ;P
  • 0 Hide
    Zepid , April 18, 2014 10:33 AM
    Windows 8 (pre 8.1 and 8.1 update) worked perfectly fine without a touchscreen or special device. It still does. It takes a special kind of potato brain to not learn the minor GUI changes in under 20ms and a potato-grade brain at maximum 5 seconds to learn the new GUI with a mouse.

    Who then are these devices for? Vegetables who want to visit OK Cupid?
  • -3 Hide
    Manolis T , April 18, 2014 10:58 AM
    Of course you need a special mouse for windows 8.What a failed OS...
  • Display all 14 comments.
  • 2 Hide
    vpoko , April 18, 2014 11:45 AM
    Zepid, I agree, Windows 8 was mildly annoying; then I got used to it and that was that. It's still not optimum, but I have no problem getting everything done with it. It's amazing that so many people who consider themselves techies have a problem with it. Makes me worry about the future of techies.
  • -3 Hide
    vpoko , April 18, 2014 11:47 AM
    It uses an IR sensor? So you need line of sight? Not sure how common that is for mice, but the one wireless mouse I have is RF, which seems a lot more reliable than IR.
  • 2 Hide
    classzero , April 18, 2014 12:57 PM
    Quote:
    "One set of AA batteries can power the Ergo 8800 for up to 36 months in part thanks to its advanced infrared sensor that is designed to consume less power," the PR states. "

    I am not sure where you get the idea of an IR sensor. The website states "2.4Ghz technology anti-interference and power saving"
    http://www.geniusnet.com/Genius/wSite/ct?xItem=58727&ctNode=105
  • -3 Hide
    vpoko , April 18, 2014 1:20 PM
    Quote:
    Quote:
    "One set of AA batteries can power the Ergo 8800 for up to 36 months in part thanks to its advanced infrared sensor that is designed to consume less power," the PR states. "

    I am not sure where you get the idea of an IR sensor. The website states "2.4Ghz technology anti-interference and power saving"
    http://www.geniusnet.com/Genius/wSite/ct?xItem=58727&ctNode=105

    It's in the quote you posted, an infrared sensor is an IR sensor. But yeah, since it says 2.4 Ghz, that must mean RF.
  • 2 Hide
    knowom , April 18, 2014 1:35 PM
    Quote:
    It uses an IR sensor? So you need line of sight? Not sure how common that is for mice, but the one wireless mouse I have is RF, which seems a lot more reliable than IR.
    Not all IR requires line of sight there is a type of IR called diffused IR.
  • 0 Hide
    Durandul , April 19, 2014 11:24 AM
    Quote:
    Windows 8 (pre 8.1 and 8.1 update) worked perfectly fine without a touchscreen or special device. It still does. It takes a special kind of potato brain to not learn the minor GUI changes in under 20ms and a potato-grade brain at maximum 5 seconds to learn the new GUI with a mouse.

    Who then are these devices for? Vegetables who want to visit OK Cupid?

    The problem is not with using the new interface, the problem is that it's jarring as hell to be brought to a whole new screen when you hit the start button. That and why call it windows if the new feature that you are trying to implement try's to get rid of windows. At least give users the option of windowing the apps. And that's the main problem. The two biggest complaints with the OS could have been implemented in under a week by a team of developers, but Microsoft had to make an ass of itself. But, in usual Microsoft fashion, they're taking back those decisions at least in part, so have to give them credit for that.

    TL;DR: Give users a choice.
  • 0 Hide
    danwat1234 , April 20, 2014 9:57 AM
    Start8, classicUI etc FTW to make win8 look like win7, then there's no need for this special mouse
  • 0 Hide
    netmind , April 20, 2014 4:51 PM
    Quote:
    Zepid, I agree, Windows 8 was mildly annoying; then I got used to it and that was that.
    Its kinda interesting idea to pay for OS some bucks to have ... some inconvenience and buy some silly mouse to try to fix these. MS has gone mad IMO. So yes, it stinks. I moved to Ubuntu and I do not need special mouse now :) .

    Quote:
    It's in the quote you posted, an infrared sensor is an IR sensor. But yeah, since it says 2.4 Ghz, that must mean RF.

    You've messed up wireless interface and surface sensor. IR surface sensors tend to consume less power than those using visible light (usually red). Yet it haves nothing to do with data exchange interface, which is 2.4GHz wireless.
  • 0 Hide
    basroil , April 20, 2014 10:33 PM
    Quote:
    The problem is not with using the new interface, the problem is that it's jarring as hell to be brought to a whole new screen when you hit the start button. That and why call it windows if the new feature that you are trying to implement try's to get rid of windows.


    Jarring? No more so than Alt-Tabbing between programs, and I doubt you or any other detractor ever complained then. If you have issues with Windows 8 Start Screen, they are psychological ones from attachment to an archaic and broken concept called a start menu.

    As for "Windows", did you know Windows 1.0 didn't have windows? In fact, Windows 8's WinRT applications act almost identically to the original Windows 1.0 method, where you can tile but not overlap. Windows 7 brought back Windows 1.0's icon task bar, and 8 did away with the start menu to bring windows back to it's roots. If anything, Windows 8 IS THE MOST "Windows"-y OS SINCE THE ORIGINAL RELEASE!
  • 1 Hide
    dkino14 , April 21, 2014 4:46 PM
    the main point of the article is not to discuss windows 8 sucking or not, it is to discuss the mouse. the comments concerning the mouse itself are hence relevant while the comments bickering about windows 8 sucking or not are therefore irrelevant.
  • 0 Hide
    Manolis T , April 22, 2014 2:25 AM
    Quote:
    the main point of the article is not to discuss windows 8 sucking or not, it is to discuss the mouse. the comments concerning the mouse itself are hence relevant while the comments bickering about windows 8 sucking or not are therefore irrelevant.


    Indeed but Windows 8 is regarded a failed OS and then people see new windows 8 modes for mice what dd you expect?!