Whether you run a RAID with four hard drives in RAID 0...
RAID 1+0 Data Transfer Diagram
... or in RAID 1+0, there seems to be a bottleneck in AMD's SB600. We weren't able to exceed 115 MB/s, and the I/O benchmarks don't look as brilliant either.
SATA RAID Throughput
This isn't quite what we expected: the SB600 seems to be bottlenecked at 116 MB/s for some reason, which we observed with Nvidia's nForce 6 MCP as well. Only the Intel ICH southbridges were capable of delivering the maximum throughput of roughly 300 MB/s with four WD Raptor hard drives (which provide almost 90 MB/s each).
- AMD Crossfire Xpress 3200 For Intel Is Fast And Sparsely Furious
- Crossfire Xpress 3200 For Intel
- The First Of Its Kind: DFI LanParty UT ICFX3200-T2R
- Overclocking? Check!
- RAID Level Creation
- Test Setup
- Benchmark Results
- RAID 0 Data Transfer Diagram
- SATA RAID I/O Performance
- USB 2.0 Performance