When random read and write speed is measured, hard disks typically line up according to their spindle speed, though there are a few exceptions between slow 7200 RPM and faster-than-expected 5400 RPM drives. The 10 000 RPM Western Digital models, however, are in a class of their own, delivering impressive I/O rates. The new VelociRaptor, unsurprisingly, leads the pack.
The VelociRaptor WD1000DHTZ is excellent in streaming applications. It easily outclasses competing drives, regardless of spindle speed.
- Western Digital's Sixth-Generation Raptor
- The VelociRaptor WD1000DHTZ (1 TB)
- Technical Data And Test Configuration
- Benchmark Results: Sequential Data Rate And Interface Bandwidth
- Benchmark Results: 4 KB Random Read/Write Performance And Streaming Read/Write Performance
- Benchmark Results: Access Time And I/O Performance
- Benchmark Results: PCMark Application Performance
- Temperature And Power Consumption
- Undeniably Fast, But Is It Right For You?