Alienware’s been teasing that a new gaming laptop’s on the way. The announcement wasn’t set to come out for another few more days, PC World’s got all the details on the next behemoth laptop from this boutique PC builder.
The M17x, as the name suggests, is a 17-inch laptop and pricing starts at $1,799. That’s just a starting point, however, as the price goes up with the hot option to upgrade to dual 1 GB Nvidia GeForce GTX 280M GPUs.
PC World lists these as standard and upgrade options:
- A single 1 GB nVidia GeForce GTX260M GPU (upgradable to dual 1 GB nVidia GeForce GTX 280M GPUs for your sweet high-end graphic needs)
- An Intel Core 2 Duo 2.4 GHz P8600 CPU (upgradable to a Core 2 Extreme Quad-Core CPU)
- 4 GB of RAM (Up to 8GB of 1333 MHz DDR3 RAM)
- A 250 GB 7200-rpm hard drive (upgradable to a 1 TB 7200-rpm or to 512 MB of solid-state storage capacity [RAID 1 or RAID 0]; users can swap out hard drives by removing the battery)
- A slot-loading DVD-RW drive (upgradable to dual-layer Blu-ray Disc)
- A nine-cell battery
- An nVidia GeForce 9400M G1 GPU with HybridPower technology (the big bonus here on the motherboard helps you get decent scaled-down graphics when you don't need the dual-card megaton firepower; it kicks in when plugged into AC power)
- 802.11n Wi-Fi
- An optional 1920-by-1200-resolution edge-to-edge LCD
All that power is contained in a not-so-small package measuring 15.98 x 12.65 x 2.11 inches and weighing a whopping 11.68 pounds. Does that sound appealing enough to make this your portable PC gaming rig?
Stay on the Cutting Edge
Join the experts who read Tom's Hardware for the inside track on enthusiast PC tech news — and have for over 25 years. We'll send breaking news and in-depth reviews of CPUs, GPUs, AI, maker hardware and more straight to your inbox.
Can you say back breaker?Reply
I wonder if that number includes the weight of the power brick.
LOL! This is wicked, and it beats hauling around my 15kg desktop with all the wires and keyboard!!!Reply
It looks freak en awesome this new alienware notebook but 1 question about the solid state drive I think there is a miss print of sort but it looks very cool. When is it coming out and price range at full spec?Reply
bah, with that cash u can build something even better, laptops are NOT made for gaming nomather what .Reply
i wouldnt expect the battery to be gone in 20 minutes.Reply
thats what the hybrid video cards are for. 9400m for when you arent plugged into a wall.
upgradable to a 1 TB 7200-rpm or to 512 MBof solid-state storage
I think this is a typo.
I'll stick to my macbook pro which is half the weight of that monstrosityReply
gosefrobaI'll stick to my macbook pro which is half the weight up my buttReply
I always hated hReply
Let's see your gimpy lil macbook run Mass Effect with all the bells and whistles @ 60 frames per second.Reply