Our Apple iTunes workload is great for isolating the single-threaded performance of any CPU we benchmark. Intel's architectures tend to win this one, but we see no difference attributable to the Core i7's extra shared L3 cache. Of course, Hyper-Threading won't have any positive effect, either.
LAME behaves similarly, though it does a better job reflecting the new system’s clock rate advantage.
Unlike our audio conversion tests, HandBrake and TotalCode Studio benefit from the expensive CPU’s architectural enhancements.
- ITX And DTX: When Less (Space) Costs More (Money)
- Motherboard, Graphics, And CPU
- Case And Its Accessories
- CPU Cooling, Optical Drive, And Power
- DRAM, SSD, And Mass Storage
- Assembly Part 1: Finding The Right...Saw?
- Assembly Part 2: Now, For All Of The Parts That Fit...
- Assembly Part 3: The Finishing Touches
- Test Systems And Benchmarks
- Results: 3DMark And PCMark
- Results: SiSoftware Sandra
- Results: Battlefield 3 And F1 2012
- Results: Skyrim And Far Cry 3
- Results: Audio And Video Encoding
- Results: Adobe Creative Suite
- Results: Productivity
- Results: File Compression
- Power, Heat, And Efficiency
- I Fought The Law!