So what ought to have been a duel turned out to not really be one, at all. The DMX 6Fire 24/96 and the Audigy Platinum are both 24 bit cards with an internal rack, but each has a completely different approach, different functions and a different target market.
We observed that in the music field, especially with regard to inputs/ outputs, the DMX 6Fire 24/96 is way ahead of its rival, which is not a "true" 24 bit/ 96 kHz card. But, when it comes to games, the Audigy takes the lead. However, it would be a mistake to stop your evaluation at these two areas where direct comparisons can be made.
The DMX 6Fire 24/96 is a card dedicated to recording, and it does this impeccably. The Audigy Platinum does not offer such a specialized choice and is much more versatile. Don't forget its SB1394 port, real-time effects DSP of virtually professional quality, its infrared remote control and its host of possibilities for games.
So, the user whose sole desire is a high-performance card for digital recording and for working in 24 bits/ 96 kHz should choose the DMX 6Fire 24/96, without forgetting that, for music creation and effects, it will need the extra investment of a dedicated card. And the user who is a bit less exacting about sound fidelity and neutrality but wants a lot of choice without having to invest too much money will have no trouble in opting for the Audigy Platinum. It's just a shame that Creative Labs did not go all the way to 24 bits/ 96 kHz, as this certainly would have drawn in more musicians.
In the United States, there is another good card, like the Terratec, but without the rack, called the M-Audio Delta 410. It is sold for a similar price and integrates more or less the same components, notably the IC Ensemble Envy 24.
- Terratec DMX 6Fire 24/96
- Terratec DMX 6Fire 24/96: Drivers
- Terratec DMX 6Fire 24/96: The Rack
- Creative Labs Sound Blaster Audigy Platinum
- Creative Labs Sound Blaster Audigy Platinum: Drivers
- Creative Labs Sound Blaster Audigy Platinum: The Rack
- Creative Labs Sound Blaster Audigy Platinum: EAX Advanced HD
- Creative Labs Sound Blaster Audigy Platinum: SB1394 Port
- Test Configuration And Methods
- Noise Level And Interference
- Converter Quality: Subjective Tests
- Vinyl Disk Recording Test
- ASIO And Latency Time
- Using The Cards For Games