Skip to main content

AMD Ryzen 7000 Zen 4 CPU Emerges with DDR5-6400 RAM

Ryzen 7000 details
(Image credit: AMD)

A Bilibili social media user has shared a blurry screenshot that shows a system running 64GB of DDR5-6400 RAM. So far, so ordinary, but the screenshot appears to come from the account of MSI’s resident overclocker and HWBot stalwart Toppc (opens in new tab). Moreover, Twitter user HXL (opens in new tab) highlights the screen grab is particularly newsworthy, however blurry, as it comes from an AMD Ryzen 7000 Zen 4 (Raphael) PC system.

The screenshot comes from a purported system with an AMD Ryzen 7000 CPU, based on the Zen 4 microarchitecture. It shows a screen section displaying the CPU-Z app, opened on the Memory tab. Appropriately, Toppc uses the MSI dragon-skinned version of the sysinfo and monitoring app.

The memory specifications we see here aren’t spectacular, but if the image is genuine and comes from an AMD Ryzen 7000 system, it is a first - a milestone in Raphael leak land. There is 64GB of DDR5 installed in the system under the spotlight, and it is shown to be DDR5-6400 with CL32 latency. To be more precise, the memory is running at a 3,202.7 MHz double data rate and has the CL-32-38-38-96-134 timings.

(Image credit: Toppc)

We can’t see what hardware the MSI resident overclocker is using, as this blurry tease reveals nothing about the motherboard, CPU, or memory manufacturer. However, there is a little nugget that appears to confirm this is an AMD system; the Bank Cycle Time (tRC) parameter field in CPU-Z’s memory tab (shown in the image above) is replaced by the Row Refresh Cycle Time (tRFC) in the same tool on Intel-based systems. In other words, it is confirming an AMD system with DDR5 is being tested.

We last updated our forward-looking AMD Ryzen 7000 technology roundup article just three days ago. As far as we know, Raphael is going to be DDR5 only, while its greatest foe, Raptor Lake, will still use platforms sporting either DDR4 or DDR5 memory. However, AMD has previously stated that it has hit DDR4-6400 in tests, so as we said in the intro, the speeds aren’t the highlight of the news. In addition, AMD recently indicated that it would offer exceptional memory overclocks with capable hardware, thanks in part to its new EXPO (EXtended Profiles for Overclocking) technology.

The most recent leaked benchmarks showed that the upcoming Ryzen 5 7600X could beat a Core i9 12900K by over 20% in single-core tests. In addition, AMD Ryzen 7000 CPUs and 600-series chipsets are expected this Fall.

Mark Tyson
Mark Tyson

Mark Tyson is a Freelance News Writer at Tom's Hardware US. He enjoys covering the full breadth of PC tech; from business and semiconductor design to products approaching the edge of reason.

  • -Fran-
    Darn it. They ate the "NB" speed in the picture. That would've given us the IF speed! Bummer.

    Also, was this a single stick of RAM or 2?

    More questions than answers, lol.

    Regards.
    Reply
  • btmedic04
    if thats 4x16gb of ddr5 at 6400c32, then thats impressive considering alder lakes struggles with 4 dimms
    Reply
  • wifiburger
    -Fran- said:
    Darn it. They ate the "NB" speed in the picture. That would've given us the IF speed! Bummer.

    Also, was this a single stick of RAM or 2?

    More questions than answers, lol.

    Regards.

    DDR5 is either gear 2 or gear 4

    for 6400 the mclk is 3200, at gear2 your uclk on the SOC would be 1600mhz and IF would also be 1600mhz since IF doesn't have problems at that speed
    Reply
  • -Fran-
    wifiburger said:
    DDR5 is either gear 2 or gear 4

    for 6400 the mclk is 3200, at gear2 your uclk on the SOC would be 1600mhz and IF would also be 1600mhz since IF doesn't have problems at that speed
    AMD doesn't use the "gear" terminology. They have free ratios you can use with it. My comment/question was more about the speeds it would use for that RAM speed.

    Regards.
    Reply
  • wifiburger
    -Fran- said:
    AMD doesn't use the "gear" terminology. They have free ratios you can use with it. My comment/question was more about the speeds it would use for that RAM speed.

    Regards.
    it's a memory term, yes AMD calls it 1:2 ratio and prob 1:4 for DDR5

    Not sure about free ratios! The ratio are usually equal to IF or step downs on Zen3

    I didn't find any details on DDR5 memory controller on AMD so I guess all of us are waiting for reviews or AMD to release info.
    Reply
  • -Fran-
    wifiburger said:
    it's a memory term, yes AMD calls it 1:2 ratio and prob 1:4 for DDR5

    Not sure about free ratios! The ratio are usually equal to IF or step downs on Zen3

    I didn't find any details on DDR5 memory controller on AMD so I guess all of us are waiting for reviews or AMD to release info.
    No, they actually allow free ratios; and it is implied they're lower ratios RAM:IF. If you want to use DDR4-4000+ you can get very weird ratios (I've seen 13/21, for example) if you allow the motherboard set them. So it is not restricted as the Intel "gear" nomenclature is or implies. Not that I have much experience with it.

    Also, I've never seen the term "gear" used in the context of memory (exclusively). Do you have any references? As I understand it, it's just a term Intel introduced after Coffee Lake, I think?

    Regards.
    Reply