If you are installing the Asus Silent, you should put it in an area with good air flow; the big passive cooler does not protect the graphics chip from overheating. Under permanent load we measured temperatures of up to 103 °C, which can become a major problem in small enclosures or cases with poor ventilation. Without a heavy load, the cooler can easily keep the temperatures low. In 2D applications, the temperature of the graphics processor only goes up to 64 °C.
The Geforce 9600 GT (G94) supports Shader Model 4.0 and DirectX 10. Asus equipped our test sample with 512 MB of DDR3 graphics memory, which is sufficient for resolutions of up to 1920x1200 pixels. The memory chips are not cooled on both sides. So, if you don’t plan to cool the Silent with case fans, you should keep an eye on the temperature of the memory chips.
Asus’ 9600 GT runs at standard reference settings: the GPU at 650 MHz, memory at 900 MHz, and shaders at 1,625 MHz. That’s why the Asus Silent is the slowest card in our test—performance the price you pay for completely silent operation. If you can increase the clock speeds and deal effectively with the resulting temperature increase, you can gain eight percent more overall performance using a 3 GHz CPU.
The card comes with a handful of tools like SmartDoctor, which you can use to manipulate speeds and the GamerOSD (for recording and transfering game videos). If you want to use the HDMI port, you can transfer a digital SPDIF signal from the sound card to the graphics card and, thus to the HDMI adapter via an internal audio connector.
- Passively Cooled and Overclocked
- Graphics Chip Comparison And Test Configuration
- Asus GeForce 9600 GT Silent (EN9600GT SILENT/HTDI/512M/A)
- Asus Software
- MSI GeForce 9600 GT Hybrid Freezer (N9600GT Hybrid Freezer)
- MSI Software
- Palit GeForce 9600 GT Sonic (9600GT Sonic)
- Sparkle GeForce 9600 GT Calibre (Calibre P960 GBOX)
- Sparkle Fan
- Sparkle Control
- Assassins’ Creed v1.02
- Call of Duty 4 v1.6
- Crysis v1.21 High Quality
- Crysis v1.21 Very High Quality
- Enemy Territory: Quake Wars v1.4
- Half Life 2: Episode 2
- Mass Effect
- Microsoft Flight Simulator X SP2
- World in Conflict v1.05
- 3DMark06 1280x1024p v1.1.0
- Overall Performance Comparison
- Power Consumption, Noise Level, And Temperature
- 3D Power Sorted By Resolution And Anti-aliasing Settings
- Conclusion--The 8800 GT Is Less Expensive And The 8800 GTS 512 Is Faster