A new CPU cooler for Athlon XP 2200+ (1800 MHz) with high contact pressure, approved by AMD.
Effective cooling for the processor is an important topic when you make the switch from Athlon XP with the Palomino core to the Athlon XP with the Thoroughbred core ("A" and "B" versions). Although the new Athlon XP has a marginally lower power intake, a higher performance CPU cooler is required nevertheless.
This can be explained by the following: because the CPU surface is 40% smaller, there is automatically less surface area available for heat dissipation. This begs the question of why AMD still doesn't use a heat spreader, as do the Intel Pentium 4 and the AMD "Hammer." For OEM manufacturers and those who buy new Athlon XP processors, the updated guidelines from AMD (valid since June 10, 2002) are:
Only CPU coolers equipped with a copper plate (or adequate heat transfer capabilities) as the contact surface to the CPU die may be used. Or, to put it another way: if you want to upgrade your PC with an Athlon XP based on the T-bred, you can safely throw out your old aluminum cooler. Otherwise, if your Athlon XP (the new model) dies a thermal death when used together with a cheap cooler, AMD is not giving you any guarantees.
A countersunk copper contact on a CPU cooler.
A CPU cooler from Taisol.
- The Future Is Now: The Athlon XP 2800+ Is Here!
- Details On The Athlon XP 2800+/2700+
- Comparison: Heat Dissipation Of All AMD Athlon CPUs
- Bingo! Synchronous Operation With 166 MHz FSB, Continued
- Details On The Test Boards
- Details On The Test Boards, Continued
- New CPUs, Old Boards: Athlon XP 2800+ Starting From KT333
- History: Protection Against Thermal Death
- Comparison: T-Bred "B" Vs. T-Bred "A" Vs. Palomino, Continued
- New Guidelines For CPU Coolers: No Cheap Models
- Test Setup And Details
- Benchmarks Under Windows XP
- OpenGL-Performance: Quake 3 Arena
- DirectX 7 Games: 3D Mark 2000
- DirectX 8 Hardcore Game: Comanche 4
- MP3-Audio-Encoding: Lame MP3
- Video-Encoding MPEG-4: Virtual Dub Und Divx 5.02 Pro
- SiSoft Sandra 2002 Benchmarks: CPU Und Multimedia
- Multimedia Performance: PC Mark 2002
- Office-/Internet-Performance: Sysmark 2002
- Archiving: WinACE 2.2
- 3D-Rendering: Cinema 4D XL 7.303
- 3D-Rendering Performance: SPEC Viewperf 7
- Conclusion: Athlon XP 2800+ Is The Performance Winner, But Not Available Until 2003