Hard Drive: Western Digital Caviar Black 640 GB 32 MB Cache
Once again, to save cash we’ll spring for a single drive instead of a RAID setup. And as last month’s SBM showed, there is little performance to be gained by a RAID array for the typical user. Of course, data redundancy is a great feature, so you folks at home are welcome to add another drive if you find it a must-have.
We went with the same Western Digital 640 GB drive with 32 MB of cache that we selected last month. For $85, it offers a lot of space and good transfer speeds for a single drive. Its large cache is a bonus, even if it doesn't make a substantial performance difference.
PC Case: Cooler Master Centurion
For this month’s build, we were looking for a case with a fan on its side to blow air on our graphics card, since the Radeon HD 4850 X2 doesn’t blow heated air directly out of the case like its more-powerful 4870 X2 sibling does. This put Antec’s Three Hundred case out of the running.
Not to worry though, since for just under $50 we were able to find Cooler Master’s tried-and-true Centurion 534. This case sports not only a 120 mm side fan, but also includes a side air tunnel to help keep the CPU cool. Simple, attractive, and affordable, the Cooler Master Centurion is a great case for this month’s enthusiast PC.
- Meet This Month's Components
- CPU: Intel Core i7 920
- Motherboard, Cooler, And Memory
- Hard Drive And Case
- Power Supply, Optical Drive, And Video Card
- Assembly And Overclocking
- Test System And Benchmarks
- Synthetic Benchmarks
- Application Benchmarks: Media Encoding
- Application Benchmarks: 2D And 3D Image Rendering
- Application Benchmarks: Productivity
- Game Benchmarks: First-Person Shooters
- Game Benchmarks: Real-Time Strategy
- Power-Usage Benchmarks