h2benchw is a low-level metric that directly accesses the hard disk, ignoring the operating system’s sector translation. This test is relevant because all four candidates use 4 KB sectors internally, but present them as 512-byte sectors to the operating system. We aren't presented with any surprises, however. The Hitachi Travelstar 7K750 leads the pack, and the Toshiba MQ01ABD100 trails behind.
None of the four 2.5" disks fare particularly well in the database, Web server, or workstation benchmarks. Had we tested the enhanced availability versions of the two Hitachi disks, we would have hoped for better results.
In the end, Western Digital's Scorpio Blue WD5000LPVT winds up winning all four Iometer benchmarks.
- Four New 2.5" Hard Drives, Benchmarked
- Hitachi Travelstar 7K750 (HTS727575A9E364)
- Hitachi Travelstar 5K1000 (HTS541010A9E680)
- Toshiba MQ01ABDxxx (MQ01ABD100)
- Western Digital Scorpio Blue (WD5000LPVT)
- Comparison Table And Test Configuration
- Benchmark Results: Throughput And Interface Bandwidth
- Benchmark Results: Streaming Reads/Writes And 4 KB Random Reads/Writes
- Benchmark Results: Access Times And I/O Performance
- Benchmark Results: PCMark 7
- Power And Performance Per Watt
- Three 5400 RPM Drives Serve Up Solid Results