Intel's Core i7 920 needs to be overclocked in order to serve its purpose in a gaming machine. Here we see it again slowing things down versus AMD's lineup. Interestingly, the Phenom II X3 720 BE manages to sneak past the flagship X4 940 in a couple of situations, despite a 200 MHz disadvantage. Faster than all of the Phenoms, though, is Intel's Core 2 Duo E8500 running at 3.16 GHz.
We've known Call of Duty to be threaded, which would explain why it seems to scale well amonst AMD's quad-core chips. But the triple-core X3 720's loss to the X3 8750 is more difficult to explain, considering the newer chip's frequency and cache advantages.
- A Slew Of New CPUs
- Inside AM3
- Modding And Overclocking–Doable?
- Test Setup And Benchmarks
- Benchmark Results: Synthetics
- Benchmark Results: Productivity
- Benchmark Results: A/V Encoding
- Benchmark Results: Crysis And Far Cry 2
- Benchmark Results: Call of Duty And Left 4 Dead
- Power Consumption