On Tuesday, Dell updated its blog with news (opens in new tab) of a new Alienware desktop gaming PC that fits within a console-like chassis. Called the Alienware X51, the compact rig is a direct response to community demands for a more efficient gaming system with a smaller, more versatile form factor.
That said, the Alienware team came up with an impressive-looking rig measuring 13.5-inches tall in the front, 12.54-inches tall in the back, 12.52-inches deep and 3.74-inches wide. Standing up it looks like a super-slim PC, dwarfed by its bigger Alienware desktop brothers -- laying flat, it could be mistaken for a next-generation gaming console sporting a sleek matte black finish, dark chrome accents and three customizable lighting zones, but better hardware.
"The X51 is Alienware’s smallest gaming desktop ever produced, and yet is powerful enough to give gamers the freedom to do it all – play modern games, immerse themselves in PC hobbies and tasks for work or school, or even create an entertainment hub by integrating it into a home theater setup for watching Blu-ray movies with 7.1 surround sound," the blog reads.
Under the hood, the Alienware X51 features Intel's 2nd-generation Core i-Series CPUs, Nvidia GeForce GT or GTX GPUs with GDDR5 memory, 802.11n connectivity, HDMI 1.4 output, and USB 3.0. But don't let the small form factor fool you: this rig isn't a closed system, but rather is fully upgradeable, allowing owners to quickly perform their own hard-drive, graphics, and memory upgrades quickly and easily.
Here's the list of specifications:
- Intel Core i3 Dual Core (standard) and Intel Core i5 and i7 Quad Core Processor Options
- Intel H61 Express Chipset Architecture
- Mini-ITX Motherboard
- Nvidia 1 GB GDDR5 GeForce GT 545 (Standard) and 1 GB GDDR5 GeForce GTX 555
- Up to 8 GB of DDR3 Memory (4 GB Standard); 2x 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM Slots
- Fast 7,200RPM 1 TB Hard Drive
- Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium
- Slot-Loading Dual Layer DVD Burner (Standard) or optional Blu-ray Disc Reader
- Internal High-Definition 7.1 Performance Audio with Waves MAXX Audio Software
- Integrated 10/100/1000 Mbps RJ-45 Gigabit Ethernet NIC and Integrated 802.11 a/b/g/n Wi-Fi Wireless LAN (standard)
- USB 2.0 (6x) and USB 3.0 (2x)
- Microphone In; Headphone/Speaker Out
- HDMI 1.4 Output
- Front, Rear and Center Speaker Ports
- SPDIF Digital Output (TOSLINK); SPDIF Digital Output (Coax)
- Alienware 240 Watt Power Supply (Standard) or optional 330 Watt Power Supply
- Dual-orientation tower system dimensions: h: 13.5-inches (343-mm) x w: 3.74-inches (95-mm) x d: 12.52-inches (318-mm)
- Starting Weight: 12.1 lbs. (5.49 Kg.)
Alienware X51 is available now on Dell.com (opens in new tab) and Alienware.com (opens in new tab) with a starting price of $699 USD. Alienware Gaming Services (opens in new tab) is available in the U.S. and Canada at this time.