Google today announced to the world its Chrome OS, which is just another piece in the puzzle to forming the complete Google-powered environment.
The core of Google's value is still what it can offer all internet users email, maps, translations, document and calendar collaboration, instant messenger, picture and video sharing, and perhaps above all, categorization of information.
Google is branching out, though, with its own web browser, mobile OS and ecosystem, and soon an operating system for netbooks to integrate it all together.
Some traditional office applications can be replaced by Google's cloud-based services, even leading some business to pay the Mountain View, Calif. company for corporate use of its apps.
The goal of the Chrome OS when it launches in the second half of 2010 is to integrate all of the Google services into one cohesive environment. The Chrome OS will be free, and we're guessing that the standard use of mail, documents, calendar will also be free. But at some point, Google's software will begin to push out similar offerings from Microsoft and Apple – software and services that users currently pay for and attach value to.
Assuming that Google's software and services could eventually replace your current paid-for products, how much are you willing to pay for the search giant's present (or eventual) offerings? More or less than what you are paying for now from Microsoft or Apple?
In other words, our QOTD is: How much are Google's services worth to you?
Since when was giving out a free OS or search bar "new"? I really don't see how Chrome is anything special... Especially not compared to Ubuntu.
Anyone who does anything over check their facebook or sending tweets (both of which I would never do) won't get Google Chrome. That right there is my estimate of (maybe) 20% of PC users. The other 80% will be divided and simply won't get chrome because it's new and they don't know how to install it or don't need to waste their time installing a OS that will do the EXACT SAME THING AS ANY OTHER.
Would I pay for a google program? If they made something worthwhile I suppose, but right now we're not there.
I'm not opposed to getting excited about real innovation (like the anti-virus software that scans from the cloud-side and runs your files through 5 different products faster than your own system could run them through 2) but I think we're on a big wave of hype right now.
I don't think the late adopters have anything to worry about either. Cable TV and landlines may cost a little more, but we still have them (partially) because satellite TV goes out when it rains and VoIP goes down with the Internet.
Where's my money, Google? Where's my money man?
Google doesn't make software, they buy good software (keyhole etc..), thinks of a way to hide the fact they are privacy perverts and say its free.