Community Picks: The 25 Best Game Soundtracks

About the author
Read more
Create a new thread in the Photo reports comments forum about this subject
20 comments
Comment from the forums
    Your comment
  • darth_adversor
    Skyrim number one...again. How about Oblivion???
  • FaceBob
    I'd personally put Total Annihilation, Sacrifice and most of the Heroes of Might & Magic soundtracks above all of these. Just my opinion, mind.
  • alisamenna
    Quake II
  • icelava
    + World of Warcraft: say what you like about the changes in game design, but they've never failed to delivery mesmerising and splendid music throughout each version.

    And Nier Automata is truly out of this world.
  • tarek.said.info
    I'd also the soundtrack of iconic games like Legend of Zelda: a Link to the Past;
    Top Gear;
    Super Mario World;
    Doom.
  • Onus
    I really enjoy the original Guild Wars sound track. As for getting my blood going, the music in Unreal Tournament: G.O.T.Y. is good too.
  • hotaru251
    Xenoblade Chronicles X also had a much better OST than most of these :/

    example being Wir fliegen https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vGUaVZN2ttw

    also TWEWY soundtrack would beat every last one on this list hand down.
  • knowom
    Perfect Selection: Dracula New Classic
    https://youtu.be/3fr4Q2roQ3o

    Symphony of the Night OST
    https://youtu.be/0Ghd3tvsNAs

    I don't know how you miss either of these in this type of discussion.
  • bramahon
    Monkey Island, Divinity series and few Black-Isle games should have made the list. As for theme musics of TES I see things as this - Morrowind + high tempo = Oblivion + higher tempo + Dragon Shout = Skyrim!! Jeremy Soule masterclass ;)
  • hannibal
    Well we Are missing some serious game soundtracks in here

    Dune
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=IF_0W1cYPYo
    One of the best soudtracks, not so Great game though...

    Star controll
    https://youtu.be/dXeMgY4gpQQ

    UR-Quan masters
    https://youtu.be/8XTq88G8kSI

    Ghetto Blaster
    https://youtu.be/Z7Qt749HJX0

    Last Ninja2
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=hrxPzxOwI_4

    And all those Ron Hubbard game music
    https://youtu.be/AtKyHqqXB8g
  • kiniku
    Age of Conan.
  • Pompompaihn
    Seriously discounting anything that doesn't include Fallout 3 and/or New Vegas....

    I can't hear an oldies station in the background anymore without wanting to subconsciously trigger VATS.
  • bit_user
    I'd be more interested in a ranking of game soundtrack albums. I'm not about to play a game just for the soundtrack, but I do like videogame music, from time to time.

    Anyway, two 8-bit NES games that I always thought had good music were Zanac and Squoon. Also Zelda and FF1, but those go without saying. I didn't play many SNES games, but I liked Actraiser's music.
  • hirschbergt
    What about Doom 2016?
  • mlee 2500
    Interstate 76 was an awesome game all around...first PC game I ever used an accelerated 3D graphics card on.

    Anyone else remember the Diamond Edge 3D? Looking at Wikipedia, it was the first consumer 3D accelerator card, long before 3DFX/Voodoo. Apparently some company called "NVIDIA" made the silicon...the "NV1".
  • bit_user
    Anonymous said:
    Anyone else remember the Diamond Edge 3D? Looking at Wikipedia, it was the first consumer 3D accelerator card, long before 3DFX/Voodoo. Apparently some company called "NVIDIA" made the silicon...the "NV1".

    Yeah, it wasn't exactly a stellar success. In fact, it sounds like the NV1 almost sank Nvidia. Here's a very illuminating analysis:

    http://vintage3d.org/nv1.php

    As for Diamond, I seem to recall they got out of the VGA card business, a few years later. Perhaps that had more to do with their MP3 player, which was the first of its kind.
  • mlee 2500
    Anonymous said:
    Anonymous said:
    Anyone else remember the Diamond Edge 3D? Looking at Wikipedia, it was the first consumer 3D accelerator card, long before 3DFX/Voodoo. Apparently some company called "NVIDIA" made the silicon...the "NV1".

    Yeah, it wasn't exactly a stellar success. In fact, it sounds like the NV1 almost sank Nvidia. Here's a very illuminating analysis:

    http://vintage3d.org/nv1.php

    As for Diamond, I seem to recall they got out of the VGA card business, a few years later. Perhaps that had more to do with their MP3 player, which was the first of its kind.


    Yeah, I seem to remember the same thing about the card, including having to wrestle with Driver Issues, but that was more typical of the times back then, and I most remember it for allowing me to smoothly play a handful of demanding games.

    I'd forgotten all about the Diamond Rio MP3 Player! Super cheap plastic thing, held just one or two CD's worth of music (and then only at a lower bit rate), but it was the awesome culmination of what people who had been ripping their CD's to their PC's hard drive had been hoping for.
  • bit_user
    Anonymous said:
    Anonymous said:
    Anonymous said:
    Anyone else remember the Diamond Edge 3D? Looking at Wikipedia, it was the first consumer 3D accelerator card, long before 3DFX/Voodoo. Apparently some company called "NVIDIA" made the silicon...the "NV1".

    Yeah, it wasn't exactly a stellar success. In fact, it sounds like the NV1 almost sank Nvidia. Here's a very illuminating analysis:

    http://vintage3d.org/nv1.php


    Yeah, I seem to remember the same thing about the card, including having to wrestle with Driver Issues, but that was more typical of the times back then, and I most remember it for allowing me to smoothly play a handful of demanding games.

    I definitely lusted after higher framerates and resolutions, but such graphics cards didn't fit my budget, at the time.

    I have to admit that I found this writeup slightly thrilling. I thought I had missed out on a bold vision of what might have been, in their quadratic rendering approach. After reading about the raft of problems, I rather feel as though I dodged a bullet.

    In any case, tessellation finally arrived on the scene and seems to have delivered the goods. We just might've gotten there a bit sooner, had the NV1 been more successful.
  • turkey3_scratch
    I always liked Mercenaries: Playground of Destruction best. It's not too well-known of a game, though, so it makes sense why it wouldn't be too well-known, but if anybody enjoys nice orchestral music it's got it all.