Page 2:Quality First!
Page 3:Memory Speeds Explained
Page 4:Memory Types
Page 5:Capacity And Compatibility
Page 6:Buyer Resources
Page 7:Corsair Configurator
Page 8:Crucial Memory Advisor
Page 9:Kingston Memory Search
Page 10:Mushkin Advisor
Page 11:Mushkin Advisor, Continued
Page 12:PNY Configurator
Page 13:Viking Configurator
Page 14:Resource Exclusions?
Page 15:Summary: Check Multiple Sources!
When it comes to older or less popular systems, some memory producers follow manufacturer recommendations rather than testing beyond them. For example, Intel’s early SE440BX is documented as having limits of 128 MB per module and 384 MB total, but has proven 100% stable using 768 MB via three 256 MB 16-chip DIMMs. These are the same modules used in the newer RC440BX and SE440BX-2, allowing two platforms to cross-reference the same modules. This provides a good basis for judging the completeness of a memory manufacturer’s documentation, so let’s examine a few :
- Apacer : SE440BX not listed, but the similar RC440BX is listed as supporting 256 MB/module
- Corsair : SE440BX not listed, but similar SE440BX-2 is listed at 256 MB/module
- Crucial : 256 MB modules listed for SE440BX
- Kingston : 256 MB modules listed, as well as the motherboard’s full 768 MB capacity
- Mushkin : 256 MB modules listed, as well as the motherboard’s full 768 MB capacity
- PNY : SE440BX listed with the artificial 128 MB per slot and 384 MB motherboard limits, and no availability, but the correct modules are listed for the SE440BX-2
- Viking : 256 MB modules listed for SE440BX
Crucial, Kingston, Mushkin, and Viking correctly listed the largest compatible modules in spite of poor documentation from Intel. Apacer, Corsair, and PNY offer the correct modules, but list them only for other boards that have the same memory limit ! The lesson is simple : If you don’t like what you see at one site, check others.
- Quality First!
- Memory Speeds Explained
- Memory Types
- Capacity And Compatibility
- Buyer Resources
- Corsair Configurator
- Crucial Memory Advisor
- Kingston Memory Search
- Mushkin Advisor
- Mushkin Advisor, Continued
- PNY Configurator
- Viking Configurator
- Resource Exclusions?
- Summary: Check Multiple Sources!