As with our video transcoding tests, rendering software is notorious for exploiting the benefits of multi-core processors. Thus, it comes as no surprise to see taking advantage of multiple threads, so it comes as no surprise that 3ds Max and Blender perform very well on AMD's four-module FX flagship. Once again, though, Intel's overclocked Core i5 catches up.
Likewise, ABBYY FineReader and Visual Studio 2010 make effective use of multiple cores. And as before, the Core i5 trails AMD's FX at stock clock rates, and passes it once we factor in overclocking.
- Building A PC: What Do We Get For $800?
- CPU, Motherboard, And Cooler
- Video Card, Power Supply, And Case
- Memory, Hard Drives, And Optical Drive
- System Assembly And Overclocking
- Test System And Benchmarks
- Results: Synthetics
- Results: Media Encoding
- Results: Rendering And Productivity
- Results: Adobe Creative Suite
- Results: Compression Tools
- Results: Battlefield 3 And The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
- Results: F1 2012 And Far Cry 3
- Power And Temperature
- When Does $800 Buy You More Than $1000?