iTunes still hasn’t received multi-core optimization. The processing time represents how long it takes to convert a full 74-minute audio CD into Apple’s AAC format.
The same applies to a current version of the Lame encoder. There are no noticeable benefits from Hyper-Threading.
We used MainConcept's encoder to convert MPEG-2 HD video into H.264. With this type of workload, Hyper-Threading does have a very noticeable positive impact on both processors.
HandBrake scales nicely with additional cores and Hyper-Threading. However, the benefit of Hyper-Threading to the Core i7-980X is smaller than the quad-core Core i7-975.
- Hyper-Threading On Intel’s Six-Core Gulftown Analyzed
- How Hyper-Threading Works
- Thread-Optimized Software
- Test Setup And Synthetic Benchmarks
- Benchmark Results: 3DMark And PCMark Vantage
- Benchmark Results: Audio/Video
- Benchmark Results: Office And Archiving
- Benchmark Results: Professional Applications
- Benchmark Results: Power Consumption
- Efficiency (Performance Per Watt)