High revolutions automatically cause high noise levels.
The diagram above lists the revolutions per minute for the fan in each cooling system. The Swiftech MC370-0A and the Global Win FNP50 show the highest rpm with at least 6700 rpm. In the previous test, we measured the revolutions using only the motherboard sensor; this time we also used a stroboscope and measuring strips.
Noise Control's Silverado exhibits the lowest rpm in the test with 3300 rpm and therefore has the quietest fan in the group. Noise Control equips the encapsulated cooler with two fans. The company Thermal Take uses a design with two fans in the form of its Super Orb, which, however, is by no means as efficient and well constructed as that of the Silverado. The Super Orb's inner fan propeller spins at 4600 rpm, while the outer propeller spins at 6400 rpm.
To sum it up, values above 5000 rpm always result in a high level of noise, this being caused by air turbulence between the guide vane and the rotating vane.
New measuring method: Using a stroboscope, we determined the exact number of revolutions of all fans.
- New Coolers For Extreme Tuning - Target: 2000 MHz
- Test Results In Detail: CPU Load At 100 Percent
- Effective Cooling Temperature Range: Between 30°C And 54°C
- Noise Level: Silverado In Whisper Mode
- Total Weight: Swiftech - A Heavyweight At 789 Grams!
- Thermal Resistance C/W: Double Victory For Swiftech
- Fan Revolutions: From 3300 Rpm To 6700 Rpm
- Looking At The New Test Candidates
- 3DFX Cool Socket-AHO-Fan: Upper Midfield, Continued
- TRIG T40-1 And T40-3: Too Much Tension In The Latch Spring
- Noise Control Silverado: 50 Grams Of Pure Silver
- Noise Control Silverado: 50 Grams Of Pure Silver, Continued
- P Alpha: Three-hole Base For A Perfect Fit
- Swiftech MC462: Best Cooling Ability For Overclocking
- Swiftech MC462: Best Cooling Ability For Overclocking, Continued
- Thermal Take Super Orb: Much More Appearance Than Reality!
- Thermal Take Super Orb: Much More Appearance Than Reality! Continued
- Summary: A Comparison Of All 23 Fans
- Design Guide By AMD: Interaction With The PC Case
- Conclusion: The Silverado Is The Technological Highlight